Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

One for all the shooters on here...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4
One for all the shooters on here...

A friend of my wife is devastated and very upset after a man (a well-known "eccentric") threatened to shoot her (well-behaved) dog if he ever saw it walking off the lead on the road past his house again (about the most minor road you can get). He has history for shooting dogs (hounds from the local hunt that had got lost). Surely this threat is grounds for his FAC to be revoked?! Shocked

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #233687217th May 2023 7:01 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

If you report this to the Police there should be consequences. What those would be is less clear imho..

You will (your wife's friend) have to make a statement of at the very least threatening behaviour (even though the dog was the subject) so be sure you wish to go down the 'official' route. Sadly, you may need to push for that to happen in the current police resource climate of we are so busy..

Shooting nuisance dogs on private land can be permitted under certain circumstances though.

As a former cop I'll be honest with you and say this sounds like it will get messy as to what he said and the rights he has as a landowner and one assumes livestock?

I take it he didn't actually have a firearm with him when he made the threat? That would be very different.

Personally, I think that incident alone would not result in a firearms revocation but certainly would merit a visit from the firearms licensing officer or a local officer (if you have one?) about the behaviour.

If this guy smelt of alcohol and your wife's friend thought he may have been drinking and indeed could have an alcohol problem then that would be quite an issue for the firearms certificate holder. Alcohol, threats and 'guns' do not mix well and are treated seriously.

Maybe I am harping back to my time several decades ago though?

I am sorry your wife's friend was put through that. Not nice at all....
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #233688117th May 2023 8:01 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Does the man own the road? There is no general requirement in law to have dogs on a lead - they must be under control. There are specific requirements in places where public spaces protection orders have been issued e.g. beaches, parts of parks, etc.

I'd certainly report it to the firearms unit/police in general. Any police force that doesn't follow up on threats of firearms use is not doing its job properly.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #233688417th May 2023 8:24 pm
NCC-1031

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

Definitely grounds for investigation by the firearms officer. Report him.

Post #233688517th May 2023 8:29 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Reporting it will raise awareness that there might be an issue. After the shooting in Plymouth, Fire Arms Officers are much more diligent now.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #233689017th May 2023 8:42 pm
HWN

^^^ Thanks, All. Thumbs Up

Definitely something that might have been acceptable years ago but not now. They were literally 'stopping to smell the roses'; it is an assistance dog that never, ever, strays from 'heel'.

The person in question is my chief suspect for the mysterious disappearance of the otters from the river that runs through both of our lands; he likes to push the boundaries and has been known to have his rifle on his back as he rides his horse through the village. He refers to himself by the name of an animal (which is actually his surname) - doing so might have given an air of mystery if the postman hadn't told me his name was Kevin. Rolling Eyes

There are two things in life you don't want to see: an angry Ghurkha running towards you with kukri unsheathed; my wife doing a 'death stare'. As much as I would like to arrange the former, the person in question will be on the receiving end of the latter. May God have mercy on his soul (or maybe not, actually!)

Thanks for the replies. Thumbs Up

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #233689317th May 2023 9:16 pm
Oxford-boy

Just one quick additional point... copy any email or complaint hard copy in a recorded delivery letter addressed personally to the Chief Constable of your force with a hand written covering note saying how concerned you are about this man and his firearms etc...

I can tell you that the higher you copy your 'complaint' the more the heat is on where potentially bad situations may occur...

Good luck
 Jim

Post #233689717th May 2023 9:29 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

If he rides through the village with his rifle on his back, he's going to be getting grief from plod for that too. One needs a "reasonable excuse" to have a firearm in a public place. Not sure what reasonable excuse he has for riding a horse through the village with it on his back.

He's the type of person that gets the rest of us gun owners a bad name.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #233690017th May 2023 9:36 pm
Oxford-boy

I am beginning to think that 'Plod' around your way need a kick up the proverbial if this kind of thing is actually happening? Horseback rifle carrying etc...

Your time is here....
 Jim

Post #233690117th May 2023 9:48 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

HWN wrote:
^^^ Thanks, All. Thumbs Up

Definitely something that might have been acceptable years ago but not now. They were literally 'stopping to smell the roses'; it is an assistance dog that never, ever, strays from 'heel'.

The person in question is my chief suspect for the mysterious disappearance of the otters from the river that runs through both of our lands; he likes to push the boundaries and has been known to have his rifle on his back as he rides his horse through the village. He refers to himself by the name of an animal (which is actually his surname) - doing so might have given an air of mystery if the postman hadn't told me his name was Kevin. Rolling Eyes

There are two things in life you don't want to see: an angry Ghurkha running towards you with kukri unsheathed; my wife doing a 'death stare'. As much as I would like to arrange the former, the person in question will be on the receiving end of the latter. May God have mercy on his soul (or maybe not, actually!)

Thanks for the replies. Thumbs Up

I was lucky enough to serve with the Gurkhas many moons ago. They were the kindest, gentlest and happiest people you could ever wish to meet and their mess canteens were amazing. God help you though if you upset them! So glad they were on our side!

So proud to have served with them and God help anyone facing them! Mind you the same applies to SWMBO and her death stare!
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #233690317th May 2023 10:28 pm
HWN

Oxford-boy wrote:
Just one quick additional point... copy any email or complaint hard copy in a recorded delivery letter addressed personally to the Chief Constable of your force with a hand written covering note saying how concerned you are about this man and his firearms etc...

I can tell you that the higher you copy your 'complaint' the more the heat is on where potentially bad situations may occur...

Good luck

Thumbs Up

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #233692418th May 2023 8:06 am
Madrilleno

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I'm assuming the rifle is in a case whilst he rides his horse? It it is, then he'll probably have a reason ready if challenged. It's no different to one of the clay shooters near me travelling to a shoot on his motorbike. Not - perhaps - the ideal situation, but he doesn't have any other transport.

If it is not cased, he doesn't have a leg to stand on and that fact should be reported.
 There are two rules for success,
1. Never tell everything you know.

RLD Spare Wheel Protector
RLD Sump Guard
Narpy Style RRS Grille from Beanie
Discostick 3rd button FBH controller
IID BT
EGRs Blanked
Geoff Gearbox Flush
Prospeed sliders & compressor guard 

Post #233692718th May 2023 8:28 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

The law is slightly different regarding shotguns and firearms. A shotgun only needs to be unloaded to be legal. Section 19 of the Firearms Act requires a shotgun to be unloaded if in a public place. A firearm, loaded or unloaded, needs a reasonable excuse.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #233693018th May 2023 8:58 am
Madrilleno

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Not quite the full answer. AFAIK, you cannot have a section 1 firearm together with it's ammunition in a public place. You cannot have a loaded S1 firearm in any public space. So in theory, if he's carrying the rifle, but no ammunition, and he has a reason for doing so, he is clear.
Stupid, but not commiting an offence.

Carrying firearms in a public place (section 19 of the 1968 Act)
21.15 Section 19 of the 1968 Act makes it an offence to have in a public place without
lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof of which lies on the accused) a
loaded shot gun, an air weapon (whether loaded or not), any other firearm (whether
loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or an
imitation firearm.

It's really wierd that you can't have an air rifle, but you can have a loaded shotgun.
 There are two rules for success,
1. Never tell everything you know.

RLD Spare Wheel Protector
RLD Sump Guard
Narpy Style RRS Grille from Beanie
Discostick 3rd button FBH controller
IID BT
EGRs Blanked
Geoff Gearbox Flush
Prospeed sliders & compressor guard 

Post #233693718th May 2023 9:35 am
Rescue01

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

One man’s eccentric is another’s phychopath!!!!
 Its not the height of the fall but the sudden stop at the bottom that hurts!!  
Post #233695018th May 2023 10:32 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >