Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

Optima Yellow Top charge - should last how long...?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Optima Yellow Top charge - should last how long...?

I have the Traxide SC40 kit installed along with a new Optima Yellow Top as an aux battery. Only item that is constantly on (ie 7/24) is a tiny LED light that surrounds a switch (which operates boot LED's for interior lighting).

I don't have an Engel but was using a Coleman 50ltr cool box. When plugging this into the rear (permanent) power socket, it would show the red light (not enough battery charge) and wouldn't operate. As soon as I switched the engine on, all was well. Including when the engine was off and the car was parked - it would stay running.

However, the coolbox didn't stay on overnight when I left it for about 12 hours. (The interior LED lights running off the aux battery worked fine).

1. So - is the Coleman cr@p and draws a lot of power (maybe more than an Engel) and therefore very innedicient...?

2. Or is the Coleman coolbox cr@p (well, yes... Rolling Eyes ) and the power cut-out not very accurate ?

3. Or does anyone think that it should stay running overnight from a (supposedly) fully charged Optima and I therefore have a different problem...?

Ideas...?
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #51938013th Sep 2009 4:12 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

What 12v socket was the coleman plugged into, and had you made it permanently live? Thumbs Up

And do you know the battery is charging properly, LED's take virtually no lighting whatsoever, so it might be worth checking the battery and charging system is doing it's thing as it should Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #51938113th Sep 2009 4:14 pm
NJF

John,

I don't know anything about the electrickery on the D3. TFC sorted by second battery for me. Thumbs Up

However, I have a CampingGaz electric coolbox, still in its wrapping. Never used. I bought it for last year's Tunisia trip and never used it because everyone got into a bit of a tizzy about banks and the like, and I had to stay at work. I'm sure it's much better than the Coleman jobby. It's yours for any reasonable offer. I've got an Engel now. Whistle

Post #51938513th Sep 2009 4:22 pm
JF Lux

SJR wrote:
What 12v socket was the coleman plugged into, and had you made it permanently live?

One supplied from Traxide. Definitely permanent power. When I installed it and measured the voltage it was almost the same at the battery and the socket (and bang on the optimum, according to the instructions etc).

SJR wrote:
And do you know the battery is charging properly

Nope - no idea... Rolling Eyes But I've just measured the voltage (car hasn't moved for 24 hours). 12.4v at the battery. 12.2 at the socket end.
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"

Post #51939213th Sep 2009 4:31 pm
JimboD3

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

You'll need to find out what current the cool box draws; and then find out what the Yellow Top's ampere-hour rating is...........and then all might become clear (I think !).

If the Yellow Top is rated at (for example) 700AH - this means that it could provide 1Amp for 700 hours, or I guess 700Amps for 1 hour.

If your cool box draws (for example) 10Amps, then a fully charged 700AH battery should be able to run the cooler for 70 hours.

There are all sorts of other complicated things with batteries and how long they will maintain a load for etc, I'm sure one of the clever peeps on here will be along soon to explain all !

Jim
 Jim
Standard TDV6 HSE
Non-standard Td5 110 Hardtop

Club Traxide 

Post #51943313th Sep 2009 6:57 pm
JF Lux

NJF wrote:
I have a CampingGaz electric coolbox

Actually, just realised mine is a Camping Gaz version as well... Rolling Eyes (Sorry...you can't offload it on me now... Laughing )

But I can't find anything on-line that gives info as to what current it draws.

Noel - do you still have the instructions for yours? it might say something...?

Post #51951913th Sep 2009 9:05 pm
NJF

JF Lux wrote:
Noel - do you still have the instructions for yours? it might say something...?

Still in the wrapper, mate ... yours for 50 euros Whistle

Post #51952213th Sep 2009 9:10 pm
JF Lux

Evil or Very Mad And use of the air compressor has just gone up to 60 euros... Laughing

Post #51952413th Sep 2009 9:13 pm
NJF

Swap? Very Happy

Post #51952613th Sep 2009 9:14 pm
mikep

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi JF Lux, I don't know how much current your coolbox draws, but if you look at the rating label or instruction book it should tell you.
Then go to http://www.optimabatteries.com/product support/faqs.php#productInformation and see battery types for ampere hour capacity and divide that by current draw, this will give you an approximate time you can expect the battery to last. Typically you can expect a fully charged 55Ah battery drawing 5amps to last 11 hours, but you should be aware the end votage will be lower than 11volts and some devices have a built in sensor to detect when battery volts have dropped to point a little higher than this, and switches off to maintain a small residual battery capacity. (A lead/acid battery doesn't like being left in a fully discharged state). I believe an earlier post referring to to a capacity of 700Ah is for this type of of battery is confusing the CCA(cold cranking Amperes with capacity.
Hope this helps.
 Know your limitations, come closer to perfection.

Other wheels, Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird.

Other pleasures, SWMBO,......honest dear! 

Post #51961014th Sep 2009 12:04 am
JimboD3

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

mikep wrote:
I believe an earlier post referring to to a capacity of 700Ah is for this type of of battery is confusing the CCA(cold cranking Amperes with capacity.
Hope this helps.

That'll be me then.......oops Embarassed Embarassed
 Jim
Standard TDV6 HSE
Non-standard Td5 110 Hardtop

Club Traxide 

Post #51963214th Sep 2009 7:05 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The Yellowtop is 55Ah rating. If you have the traxide, then you'll get the equivalent of about 85Ah (ISTR) because of the intelligent load sharing.

The Engel fridges use approx 2Ah, but your Camping Gaz one could easily use 8Ah or beyond which would drain your battery PDQ!
I suspect it's nothing wrong with the battery, but the fridge you're using.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #51968514th Sep 2009 10:23 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

When you start the engine btw, is the LED on the Traxide unit on or flashing. If it's flashing, does it go on fairly quickly after the engine starts (couple of mins)

ISTR if it's flashing, they're not connected, but when it's on, it's connected.

It may just be the current inrush required needs to make sure it's off a highe initial voltage to triggger the warm box you have. Whistle Whistle
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #51968914th Sep 2009 10:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sturge

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Don't the basic coolboxes cut in at something like 12.6v so as to protect the car battery. If the scoket is only showing 12.2v then it isn't enough volts for the simple switch in the coolbox to allow it to operate.

I'm sure that's roughly how they work.

But then again, I'm probably wrong.
 TDV6 HSE Lux (2014MY)
TDV6 HSE (2006MY - owned for 9 years and 150,000! - now replaced)
Mini Cooper SD 5 door
TVR Chimaera 450
Series II 1960 Diesel 

Post #51975914th Sep 2009 1:29 pm
JF Lux

Bodsy wrote:
When you start the engine btw, is the LED on the Traxide unit on or flashing.

On.

Bodsy wrote:
It may just be the current inrush required needs to make sure it's off a highe initial voltage to triggger the warm box you have. Whistle Whistle

Well I think I translated that sentence... Laughing And I would tend to agree with you.

Bodsy wrote:
but your Camping Gaz one could easily use 8Ah or beyond

So it gets back to the efficiency question...just need to get hold of NJF's instructions from his redundant cool box to check this...(the only thing marked on my coolbox is "Made in Italy"...which is a change from China I suppose...)

Post #51989514th Sep 2009 7:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >