Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

OPUS air trailer tent - anyone got one?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
LaserTam

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
OPUS air trailer tent - anyone got one?

This trailer tent has come to my attention. My wife and I were possibly considering getting a motor home, but then this has drawn our attention. It would be way cheaper, and in some ways more practical. My wife has certainly not dismissed it, because its perhaps as close to a motor home, without being a tent, if that makes sense.

If anyone has one, I may have a few questions. I wouldn't be going for the off road version.
 MY2012 D4 HSE Nara Bronze with some extra stuff  
Post #22082105th Feb 2021 5:58 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Hi Ian
A few thoughts on these.
I have never owned one as we have a caravan, but we do have an air awning and an air tent so some experience.
Both the air awning and air tent are far more stable in high winds, and we have had both up in high winds. Make sure you have a decent air pump to inflate it. Make sure if you are in a hot climate that you reduce the air pressure slightly as I have known people have the bladders go pop due to over inflation and then the sun heating them up further.

Motor home is expensive in the first place, has additional costs including service, MOT, tax and you need to have somewhere to store it. On top of that when you pitch up you either have to u pitch to go to the shops or take bikes/tow a car. Frankly they are a pain unless you are only stopping one night.
Finally there are a lot of places you cannot get a motor home into, more and more areas are putting up height barriers to stop others from pitching up in areas.

One last though, if you spend 50K on a motor home and only use it two weeks a year that is a bog cost where a camping trailer is a lot cheaper and I get you would use it more.

Plus you will need that extra money to buy my D5 Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #22082996th Feb 2021 12:57 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IanMarsh

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Have a look on YouTube at 4wd action 24/7. These guys use opus campers in a lot of their videos, they look pretty awesome bits of kit!

Post #22083066th Feb 2021 6:24 am
LaserTam

Russell wrote:
Hi Ian
A few thoughts on these.
I have never owned one as we have a caravan, but we do have an air awning and an air tent so some experience.
Both the air awning and air tent are far more stable in high winds, and we have had both up in high winds. Make sure you have a decent air pump to inflate it. Make sure if you are in a hot climate that you reduce the air pressure slightly as I have known people have the bladders go pop due to over inflation and then the sun heating them up further.

Motor home is expensive in the first place, has additional costs including service, MOT, tax and you need to have somewhere to store it. On top of that when you pitch up you either have to u pitch to go to the shops or take bikes/tow a car. Frankly they are a pain unless you are only stopping one night.
Finally there are a lot of places you cannot get a motor home into, more and more areas are putting up height barriers to stop others from pitching up in areas.

One last though, if you spend 50K on a motor home and only use it two weeks a year that is a bog cost where a camping trailer is a lot cheaper and I get you would use it more.

Plus you will need that extra money to buy my D5 Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Thanks Russel. That's exactly my thinking. Not sure about buying the D5 though I'm afraid Smile
Post #22083126th Feb 2021 8:52 am
LaserTam

IanMarsh wrote:
Have a look on YouTube at 4wd action 24/7. These guys use opus campers in a lot of their videos, they look pretty awesome bits of kit!

Yes, I have looked at those. Just hoping to get some real life reviews Very Happy
Post #22083136th Feb 2021 8:54 am
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

There was one pitched next to us in the New Forest last year, it survived the 60mph winds we had, looked really good quality. 👍

The owners were very happy with it!

Our air awning survived too, whereas my father in law was having to make constant t adjustment and re-pegging efforts on his poled awning!
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #22083716th Feb 2021 2:16 pm
LaserTam

Thumbs Up
Post #22085427th Feb 2021 8:21 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >