Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Roading & Green Laning

Outer Hebrides - interactive map???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
747_JK

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Outer Hebrides - interactive map???

A number of Councils around the UK have very useful interactive maps (I've noticed), clearly displaying the Byways Open to All Traffic (BOATs). Does anyone know if such a facility is available for the Outer Hebrides / Highlands of Scotland? I have tried searching but dont seem to be able to find one.

Thanks in advance for any help.
 747_JK
"Moab is my happy place"
2019 Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - SOLD
2010 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE with a serious smoking habit - SOLD 

Post #77528217th Mar 2011 7:56 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

I'm afraid Scotland doesn't have any green lanes, off the Tarmac it's private roads so would need permission. Sad

Post #77529017th Mar 2011 8:29 am
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

But there IS a Scottish Green Lane Club that organises runs on these roads.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #77542117th Mar 2011 6:25 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

There is indeed, not sure if able to go to first event as car us but crook and not sure I'd I've got the energy for a 300 mile trip to get there & back. Sad

Post #77542917th Mar 2011 6:41 pm
747_JK

Ah - thanks for the info - I didnt realise they didnt have official green lanes... Am planning a trip to North Uist in my D4 this October, so will just have to do some un-official greenlaning. Am particularly looking forward to waiting for the tide to go out so I can drive accross to the uninhabited tidal island of Vallay where there is this big abandoned mansion house:

http://www.nothingtoseehere.net/2008/11/va..._uist.html

And then jet wash the salt water off the car thoroughly immediately after!

Am up there next month too, in someone elses Freelander, so will scout around for some of the really good tracks to try later in October. Doubt the Scottish Green Lane Club does much in the Outer Hebrides (?), but happy to be proven wrong...!
 747_JK
"Moab is my happy place"

Post #77553217th Mar 2011 9:45 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

http://www.scotgrc.co.uk/ No way anything up that far north, they are more central belt based. Good luck doing "unofficial" greenlaning, not wise on Highland estates as they call it trespassing. Whistle Whistle

Post #77553817th Mar 2011 9:50 pm
dangerdave

Admin note: post content removed at user request

Post #77558117th Mar 2011 11:02 pm
2DISCO3ORNOT

We take ours to the Inner Hebrides every year, in fact we have had a house there for over 120 years (in the family so to speak), I grew up driving Landrovers on the island, used to be a great playground on the machair, ITS GONE...........white settlers have taken their private beach resorts and coated them in barbed wire and big painted stones to stop anyone parking on the foreshore, its a huge bone of contention for all on the island.
In a way its fair enough,the surfies discovered the island back in the early eighties and I suppose the machair took a bit of a hammering and dogs were let loose on sheep etc, so the crofters had a right to close the old tracks to the beaches.
Its just not the way it used to be, very sad, still there is an up side my kids now have to hike to the beach and carry in what ever they want to play with,and thats a fine thing Thumbs Up
Im sure they are much more civilized on Harri, enjoy there is no finer coast Wink

Post #77559017th Mar 2011 11:15 pm
dangerdave

Post #77561217th Mar 2011 11:38 pm
2DISCO3ORNOT

Aye the Sheep SALE BOAT Sheep its hard for a man to spend 4 months work on a 6 hour ferry boat ride Thumbs Up

Post #77562718th Mar 2011 12:00 am
747_JK

Well funnily enough it was only 12 months ago that I found this website - and all thanks to a guy on North Uist who has a Disco3.co.uk sticker on his car. At the time I was awaiting delivery of my D4, so that evening I was glued to this site reading all about the car I was about to receive...!

And as for the ferry - I'll be venturing to North Uist, not Harris, so more of a Uig - Lochmaddy sailing. However rough it is, it wont beat my October 2008/9 crossing (I forget which). We were delayed on the quayside on the Isle of Skye for 3 hours as there was a Force 11, occasionally 12, blowing. And that day we were one of only two CalMac routes which did eventually put to sea. We routed to Tarbert first, which was back to front (due to the winds), and then on to Lochmaddy. Everyone was told to avoid going on deck and there were sick bags all over the ship - in preparation for a voyage from hell. Being foolish I went on deck to get some photos, keeping my back firmly against the wall of the ship to avoid going near the 'edge' - but with one horrendous roll of the ship, I was sent flying against the railings and had no option but to drop my Blackberry (which I was taking the photo on) and watch it fall into the Minch, as I clung on tight. Without doubt, one of the most terrifying experiences ever. I went back inside pretty quick after that. Althogh some say there is a plus-side to losing your Blackberry on the first day of your 10-day holiday!!! Amazing thing is, the picture I had just taken and was in the process of emailing to my Dad still made it...

And agree with you entirely dangerousdave, get the weather right and it's stunning. If it's raining and windy the whole time, it isn't. But that's what a warm hotel/house/croft and a good book/movie/dinner are for...
 747_JK
"Moab is my happy place"

Post #77564818th Mar 2011 8:29 am
dangerdave

Post #77624219th Mar 2011 8:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: