Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Overland Preparation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

bundubasha wrote:
By the way, I drove a 1972 lightweight SIII through Tunisia, Algeria and Morrocco in 1992 and it didn't miss a beat... I don't want to put a downer on your trip but don't expect your friendly local Morroccan mechanics to be able to fix a D3... Whistle
valid point Thumbs Up rear locking diffs was only standard on G4 and South Africa spec D3, very difficult to find in UK, I accepted to live without it. A few mods... and keeping it all running...Faultmate MSV2
MY09EGR's blanked Thanks Bellautos, BAS 

Post #82879225th Aug 2011 3:53 pm
disco4x4au

Australia 

ralphhardwick wrote:

I'm quite happy to do the research but, before i do, has anyone collated a complet list of off-road suitable tyres for 17", 18" and 19" disco 3 rims? If not I can see a few hours of googling ahead Smile

PM me your email address and I'll send you a spreadsheet.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #82892225th Aug 2011 11:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ralphhardwick

England 

PM sent Smile
 Discovery 300Tdi
www.overland-rovers.com 

Post #82896026th Aug 2011 8:35 am
bundubasha

Kenya 

for what it's worth, this is the back end of my D3, with a 17" Goodyear MTR spare on a Kaymar rear bar, and 17" Goodyear Duratrac ATRs on the actual vehicle.. the new MTRs are available in this size... they are a little too large for the car, but i like the extra high sidewalls on the rough roads. there is a lone ranger 100 litre tank underneath.

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
now - 110 challenge vehicle with 3.9 V8 and Unimog portals
Now - 2006 TDV6 Kaymar rear bar, lone ranger tank, various expensive out of warranty repairs... 

Post #82910926th Aug 2011 4:39 pm
ralphhardwick

England 

bundubasha
Thanks for the photo. How do you rate the Duratrac ATRs against the MT/Rs? The one visible on your rear wheel looks pretty chunky.

Thanks to Gordon for his excellent tyre spreadsheet I have now found these:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m56b2348s273p791...7_112Q_TL_

Although they're pretty expensive at least I now know that I can get them in the UK for a 17" wheel
So at least my tyre choice is sorted Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy

Update on spec so far:

Disco 3 SE (or HSE) - probably 2005-06 with ESR
Faultmate MSV2
Rhino Rack bars x 3
James Baroud Explorer Evasion Roof tent (http://www.jamesbaroud.com/produits.html)
17" wheels with Goodyear MT/Rs
Engel Mt45 fridge
FASKIT (http://www.opcionesavanzadas.com/pedidosing.php)

Still looking for the best UK option for:

Rear wheel carrier
Extended fuel tank
Underbody protection.

all advice gratefully recieved.

Cheers

Ralph
 Discovery 300Tdi
www.overland-rovers.com 

Post #82943328th Aug 2011 8:50 am
bundubasha

Kenya 

That's really interesting! The Tyres you have identified are the exact same ones I have on my car, but in Kenya are marketed as ATRs. They are great, but in this size a tiny bit too big, and will give a very slight rub at the rear, nothing to worry about IMO. The tread is almost as aggressive as the old MTR but the central blocks are much more aligned to the direction of travel, so whilst they have almost the same self cleaning ability, they are MUCH quieter. Perfect choice!

btw, Ralph - those roof tents look great, what are his prices like? why can't you buy stuff like that in the UK? it is all imported and v expensive, seems UK manufacturers are behind the curve on roof tents, for some reason...

Group buy...? Mr. Green
Now - 2006 TDV6 Kaymar rear bar, lone ranger tank, various expensive out of warranty repairs... 

Post #82945328th Aug 2011 10:33 am
ralphhardwick

England 

It just goes to show how worthwhile it is sharing this info. If a tyre has a completely different designation in some countries an initial search for the 'wrong' name could yield zero results when the product is actually available.

I'm just chuffed to bits that I can have MTR's Very Happy

WTR the James Baroud rooftents. I first saw these on the roofs of several LC's going to Tunisia on the ferry. They first caught my eye because they could hold a spare tyre on top. With a disco 1 the options for carrying a 2nd spare are very limited if you don't have space on your roofrack.

They are a French/Portugese company (I believe) and they have distributors throughout europe and in Oz. They don't have an outlet in the UK at all (why? I don't know.)

I am currently waiting for a quote from http://www.euro4x4parts.com/ for a Explorer Evolution in Balck with grey cloth and rear awning. This will include shipping to the UK. there is a distributor in Belguim which is only 7 hours drive away (via the Channel Tunnel) but they we less than forthcoming with information.

The tents are pretty expensive. The website price for the one I'm talking about is €2,272.01 (EURO) and that's a lot of dosh by anyones standards. However if your compare it to the nearest equivilent Magiollina, the prices are similar and, IMHO, the James Baroud is a much better product.

TBH I was hoping to have the tent before we go to Morocco in March but finances may not stretch that far. It may have to wait until the disco 3 joins the stable. The Howling Moon is a fantastic bit of kit and not that much hassle to put away each day.
 Discovery 300Tdi
www.overland-rovers.com 

Post #82969729th Aug 2011 1:57 pm
bundubasha

Kenya 

This is the new Goodyear MTR, but it doesn't look like it is available in the UK yet. we have had them here for over 6 months... Mr. Green http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/LT265-70R...Y750152325

Post #82991130th Aug 2011 11:00 am
ralphhardwick

England 

Interesting. Thats the tyre I saw some time ago. The one linked to in my post above is mis-labled as an MT/R.

So, unless I can find them elswhere, it lloks like it will have to be the duratrac AT/Rs Confused
 Discovery 300Tdi
www.overland-rovers.com 

Post #82992030th Aug 2011 11:30 am
bundubasha

Kenya 

I just spoke to the Goodyear dealer here in Nairobi and he said the reason this tyre is not available in the UK is the cost of launching a new tyre (something to do with codes which relate to importation, safety etc) cannot be justified against the anticipated volumes of sales. in other words they don't think there would be enough UK customers to justify the expense for this particular tyre, which is a shame, although they are probably right as they are seriously expensive, seriously aggressive and seriously tough. When you look at the profile of the typical UK LR owner (duck for cover!) how many people would want to fit tyres like this on their cars...? Whistle

Post #82994730th Aug 2011 1:05 pm
ralphhardwick

England 

That's a great shame. Considering the fact that the MT/R was the tyre of choice for the G4 (I thought the G stood for global Confused ) and many owners may want to fit them. I admit that my reason for choosing them for my disco was because of the G4 link.

The thing to consider is 'how many people fitted MT or MTR type tyres on their brand new 300tdi/TD5 disco or P38 RR?'
The answer would be, IMHO, 'very few'. But 10/15 years down the line these vehicles are the mainstay of 'off roading' and regularly fitted with these type of tyres.

When the time comes to buy I will contact the company, I linked to earlier, to confirm which tyre they are actually selling, MT/R or AT/R and then make a decision.

I do wonder what all the G4 owners will do once the UK stock of 'old' MT/Rs is depleted.

Although I agree that these tyres are fairly aggresive I don't class them as a full MT, more a 60off/40on whereas the BFG MT (which is available in this size in the UK http://www.bfgoodrich.co.uk/bfgoodrichuk/A...704145444) is more 80/20. I can't help thinking that Goodyears marketing policy is slightly flawed Sad
 Discovery 300Tdi
www.overland-rovers.com 

Post #82995430th Aug 2011 1:44 pm
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 
Re: Overland Preparation

ralphhardwick wrote:
Hello all, this is my first posting so please be gentle.

Before I pose my question I need to put a few things in context:

1. I do not have a Disco 3 or 4 (yet)
2. I have done 2 overland trips, one to Morocco (went horribly wrong) and one to Tunisia (went blindingly well) and we are going back to Morocco again next year (2012)
3. My current disco 1 won't last forever so I will be looking to replace it in the next 12 months or so.
4. It will be replaced with a Disco 3 Very Happy
5. I do have some idea how to prep a vehicle for travel (see the link in my signature)

Over a period of time I intend to prepare the new Disco 3 for a full blown overland trip to Mongolia (probably 5+ years away) with several other trips (Iceland for one) in between.

I know that many people will say that my current choice of a non-EDC 300tdi would be a better option but I like the idea of doing the trip in something newer.

What I have started this thread for is to try and asimilate information in one place on overland mods, spares, kit, tips, tricks and things to avoid when kitting a Disco 3 out for such a trip.

So far (mainly from this forum) I have found out about restricted roof loading, compressor overheating on corrogations and various diagnostic tools suitable for 're-programming' and fault finding. I know that you can fit an extended tank in the spare wheel well and mount them on the rear bumper. But I don't know which is the best tank to fit or who imports (where to buy) the wheel carrier(s) in the UK. Should I go for coils over air springs or is terrain response and air a better option. should I go for a SE (to programme the screen etc), HSE commercial or base model?
What falls off, what breaks, what spares should I take, how do you arrange a kitchen/fridge with a drop down tailgate, what are the tyre options? etc. etc.

So, for those of you that are so inclined, please share your thoughts on setting up a Disco 3 (or 4) for such a trip. If there is stuff in other threads please add the link.

Who knows this could turn into a usefull thread and save people (i.e. me) a lot of searching Very Happy

Thanks
Ralph

I've just read the Morrocan blog. In the words of the great Barry Sheene:

With luck like that, if you had a duck, it'd drown Sad

Post #83786921st Sep 2011 7:38 pm
ralphhardwick

England 
Re: Overland Preparation

steveraspberry wrote:

I've just read the Morrocan blog. In the words of the great Barry Sheene:

With luck like that, if you had a duck, it'd drown Sad

it's difficult not to agree. However things seem to have gone better since. So my pet daffy can sleep soundly in her bed. Very Happy
 Discovery 300Tdi
www.overland-rovers.com 

Post #83791721st Sep 2011 8:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >