Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

overland trip to Morocco in D3 v8 - ideas
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
James W

United Kingdom 

disco_v8 wrote:
I am still considering the 2nd battery but just at the back of mind thinking, would it mean tinkering with the electrics if I add the 2nd battery?? I dont want to make a mistake and find myslef in a position where battery drains, suspension fault comes on, etc etc.
Is the T Max kit reliable enough and does everything by itself? - sorry i dont have much knowledge on the dual battery setup, though I know 2nd one will go next to the ABS pump under the bonnet and I understand max 80 amp battery can be placed there if I want to close the lid (which I do)

The hardest part is routing the cable into the interior but only as it's fiddly to find the grommet and feed the cable through. The electrics simply piggy back onto your existing battery, you're not tinkering with anything. I'd say it's an easy fit but it's all relative. I'm sure an auto electrician could fit it in not too much time for you.

The display shows you the level of both batteries, when they are charging or not, and you can isolate the whole thing just by unplugging the controller so you shouldn't have any worries.

If you weren't so far away I'd do it for you.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #193038526th Mar 2018 1:12 pm
disco_v8

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

hi james thanks for the input i was just reading this neat install besides i like to install the monitor right unde the arm rest which i sw from another forum member and it looked pretty cool. also, i am planning a drawer system so i better have all the plugs usb sockets next to the rear cubby box on drivers side. i want to be able to close the cover of the 2nd battery so yellow optima seem to be out of question and the biggest battery i can place there (so i can close the cover) is 80 amps i believe.

idea is to feed from the second battery below, am i missing anything?

- fridge,
- winch,
- usb sockets,
- invertor,
 2005 D3 V8 SE
2005 D3 V8 HSE gone 

Post #193044026th Mar 2018 4:43 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

I have this battery which fits (just) in the second battery box in my D4 once a few bits are relocated (transfer box ecu etc.) which I don't think you have in your D3.

It runs my Waeco fridge for around two days in a hot climate without starting the engine. That battery is also powerful enough to crank the discovery if required.

I ran some pretty highly rated cable (fused first) down through the interior and then mounted two ciggy sockets in the rear quarter panel so that the fridge and other stuff in the boot, or my external lighting can run off the second battery.

PS I really think you should think about dropping the idea of a winch for what you're trying to achieve. Buy yourself four Maxtraxx and a decent spade for a lot less money and save yourself the weight and faff of fitting and maintaining it too, plus all the other kit you'll need to use it safely (if you get to use it at all) - Also maybe consider an air jack which is very useful in sandy environments
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #193044826th Mar 2018 5:12 pm
Aerialmark

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

When I ran my main cable from the second battery to the rear of the car I went underneath and ran it in steel kopex (Flexible conduit) Thumbs Up
Started at the front and ran it the length of the car routing it behind crossmembers and such right to the back and up behind the bumper and up into the car via the rear light cluster

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
They just make the best of everything they have. 

Post #193044926th Mar 2018 5:16 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

My very first consideration would be the tyres.
5 good quality ones, preferably 17", and the means to change a wheel.
Then a simple tyre repair kit, just in case.
Then a compressor.

Then, to quote DSL, a phone and credit card Thumbs Up

Then a fridge.

And loo-roll. don't ask Big Cry
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #193056726th Mar 2018 9:43 pm
disco_v8

i have bought Grabber AT3s couple thousand miles ago but they are on 19 inch rims Rolling Eyes
 2005 D3 V8 SE
2005 D3 V8 HSE gone 

Post #193058926th Mar 2018 11:30 pm
disco_v8

so no other feedback and noone has taken their Discos to morocco before???
 2005 D3 V8 SE
2005 D3 V8 HSE gone 

Post #193077227th Mar 2018 5:20 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The tendency is to over equip, but then again there is the saying that better have and not need, than need and not have.

If your on 19’s, you might consider a second spare. Even a space saver on the roof rack to get you mobile. 19’s are more prone to punctures, and even the tarmac roads are not brilliant. I’m not saying you won’t be able to get a new 19” tyre in Morocco, but you might need to be resourceful to find it.

I know you said your not going off piste, but a long handled spade on the roof might be useful if you do put a wheel in soft sand.

Morrocan maps were not brilliant, and the D3 sat nav ended in Spain. What are you using for navigation? I’ve not been since 2010, maybe google maps are ok, but you need to check.

Post #193080127th Mar 2018 6:45 pm
disco_v8

Gareth,
Navigation system is the one i am not sure about, i only use google in europe but not sure if it will be accurate enough in morocco. I am getting a michelin paper map in case sat nav freaks out at some point. Been reading Chris Scotts routes and there are soooo money good looking routes so a bit confused as to what route to take. Sahara area seems very tempting but that means minimal time spent up north. Thinking of taking the ferry from Almeria to Melilla and drive all the way south easternly then cross to atlantic side for Agadir carry on drive south, then again i only have 10 days and need to stop at some point Laughing
 2005 D3 V8 SE
2005 D3 V8 HSE gone 

Post #193091728th Mar 2018 12:58 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Michelin paper maps are good, but large and not much detail. Good for major route planning.

In 2010 we landed at Ceuta, and it was a reasonably easy days drive along the coast motorway to Marrakech. Then we headed over the tizntest, to the coast at Sidi Ifni. At that point we camped, and then drove along the beach for miles and miles, to another wild camp. From there it was mainly off road via zagora, to Merzouga. Then home via Fes.

We had various computer map applications, with suitable base maps. They were essential for off road nav. I did use the off road nav in the Disco to give general direction and distance to a waypoint.

We did have the benefit of previous routes recorded on previous trips .

Post #193093228th Mar 2018 7:49 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

DaveT wrote:
Then, to quote DSL, a phone and credit card Thumbs Up

And the wine gums & Haribos. Essential. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #193093328th Mar 2018 7:55 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

oh yes! The food!

We survived when camping on simple ration packs, cooked on Jetboil.

On the nights we stayed in Auberge in the desert, we found the owners only too glad to prepare a local dish. The tagines were out of this world! Some great meals were had. As far as I know, nobody in our party got poorly. Bottled water at all times though.

Post #193094228th Mar 2018 8:30 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Gareth wrote:
I’ve not been since 2010, maybe google maps are ok, but you need to check.

Tom Tom did very good mapping for Morocco even back in 2010, it picked up some of the tracks we used in the middle of nowhere Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #193097828th Mar 2018 10:33 am
disco_v8

i have revised my plan like 45 times so far as so many places to see in such a short time. some say avoid north and head south straigh after ferry through atlas mountains into sahara but not sure if thats a good option as wife wont be too happy if i drive 9 hours a day....
 2005 D3 V8 SE
2005 D3 V8 HSE gone 

Post #193190430th Mar 2018 10:24 pm
Tedwheelup

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Morocco 2018

Hi
I will be going to Morocco in October 2018 hopefully in my recently purchased D3.(just had new engine but sadly not running yet!)

I have been twice before once in 2014 and again November 2017 once in a battered disco 1 and last time in a Defender 110 300tdi (never again) looking forward to using the D3

I would advise a second spare wheel as I have bought a second spare for my trip.

Fuel is very easy to come buy now and better quality than it used to be.

2nd battery I would think is a must if you have an auto or a good quality modern li-ion jumpstart pack (I have a Tmax on my defender and has jump started me a few times.

I use tomtom Go on an iPhone with the morocco maps and great for normal navigation and also shows most of the tough tracks.

We also use Wikiloc navigation as lots of free gps routes to download Thumbs Up

Hope you enjoy the trip

Post #193192531st Mar 2018 1:24 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >