Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

overland trip to Morocco in D3 v8 - ideas
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
disco_v8

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
overland trip to Morocco in D3 v8 - ideas

i am planning a trip with my wife to Morocco this August (I know it will be veeeery HOT) all the way down to Agadir and if I have enough time may drive further south to Layounne and Dakhla.
Obviously I need to preapre the D3 for the trip but believe she doesnt need much as I will be on my own and will not go off piste to sand dunes etc.
I have few questions on the camping side of things.

1. Do you think roof tent is essential? I am interested in the prospeed roofrack but how does it work with the tent?
2. Raised air intake a good idea to avoid too much dust or its cosmetic only?
3. Dual battery is a must or just too much for what i am intending to do?
4. underbody protection ideas?
5. Jerry can for extra fuel must or i will see fenough filling stations on my route?

any other comments are greatly appreciated as I have done many road trips in Europe but not in Africa.

Route planning

my route after crossing to Africa will be Casablanca > Marrakesh to Agadir via Atlas Mountains on the scenic Tizi n Test into Imlil, Tinmel and Agadir. On the way back, if i dont do the Dakhla, I will be taking the motorway back to Marrakesh and then into Fes > Gibraltar and back to Europe. Any other scenic routes I should be considering?

Cheers!!
 2005 D3 V8 SE
2005 D3 V8 HSE gone 

Post #193017025th Mar 2018 5:27 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Great trip. We (myself, DG, RLD, Slimer, AndrewS, CarlS, Sonic) did it in August 2010.

Roof tent will be fine, we had a ground tent and it was Censored hot! We also got blasted in a sandstorm and had to abandon tents. Hotels after that!!

Saw 50 degrees in the desert, and the aircon was fine. Poor Ray didn’t have aircon in his Defender! It won’t be that hot on the coast. In fact it was pretty miserable when we were there.

Tizntest pass is a great drive.

Fuel is plentiful. It’s not third world. Moroccan drivers are awful, watch out carefully especially in towns. Avoid driving at night if you can, as lights are optional!!

Rai not essential, but if you get caught in a sandstorm it will clog air and pollen filters.

Take a fault reader. I had fuel pressure problems that went away when I got back to Spain.

Do stay in some of the Auberges that are plentiful. They are amazing.

Post #193021225th Mar 2018 6:53 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Dual battery was good to have to keep the beer cool. Buy your beer in Spain.

Post #193021325th Mar 2018 6:55 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

If your not going off road, no need for under body protection. I didn’t have any and we went out into the desert.

Post #193021525th Mar 2018 6:56 pm
maxbasscat

Ukraine 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3
Gibraltar is a diversion but may be worth it

On the way back via Tarifa then Gibraltar would be a diversion if you do it try and stop for a day, take in the sites The Skywalk (photo under construction as below) still free I think, you need a camera. Fill up only at Morrisons in Gib on the way ......worth the price difference but maybe not the queuing, timing in/out is important and get your single malts (or other stuff) there as well and fags at border Eroski supermarket then get the Censored out of Gib trust me on that one. Laughing

Looks a great trip and fill in your entry to Morocco details on the ferry over if you do not want to be held up on disembarkation and have the world and his camel looking at what you have got! Trust me on that too

Importantly you said you know it will be hot because August is hot with a Big F
 D3 2.7 Zermatt silver (not another one)
D3 4.4 V8 Zambezi silver
D3 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
D3 2.7 (gone) Tonga Green
D3 4.4 V8 LHD Tonga Green
FFRR TDV8
Defender 300 

Post #193024825th Mar 2018 8:18 pm
maxbasscat

Ukraine 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

D3 2.7 Zermatt silver (not another one)
D3 4.4 V8 Zambezi silver
D3 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
D3 2.7 (gone) Tonga Green
D3 4.4 V8 LHD Tonga Green
FFRR TDV8
Defender 300 

Post #193027025th Mar 2018 9:27 pm
disco_v8

guess i will leave the second battery and freezer option for the time being as will be spending most nights (at least in africa) at the hotels as i wont be going with a guide or group and not sure where to do wild camping safely.
while i was looking at some hard shell roof tents which start from GBP 1500 and go up to GBP 5,000 (!!!) i came accross a Mag Tower brand which seem to be decent and some foreign forums have good reviews on them.

things i have decided so far is;

- prospeed rack
- mag tower hard shell roof tent
- terrafirma rock sliders (though not essential for morocco, i just like the look of them)
- safari raised air intake
- upper load thingy - https://www.flatdoguk.com/upper-load-lugga-d3---d4~2283
- IID Bluetooth diagnostics
-

and to be decided soon

- what lights to attach to the roof? spot or fog (spread) ? or just put two large ARBs in the front? would that have a negative affect during very hot temparatures i.e while driving towards sahara? keep in mind, i am planning to go in august.

- I saw the frontrunner drawer system which is about gbp 1,300 !!! come on...really? do you know if anyone can fabricate similar drawer system to this, i really dont wanna pay that much.

option #1 - http://www.transk9.com/select/land-rover/l...-2009/tl1/

option #2 - https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/b...y-3-4.html

option #3 - design your own and have it fabrcated somewhere - but where!!??

- what spare parts to take? belts, bulb kit, few tools, some recovery gear inc shovels, straps, shackles etc., wheel hubs (i have 2 spares so will just take them with me)

gonna have to have the diff oils changed, megaflush the gearbox, usual service, .... ?

list will go on and on i think...
 2005 D3 V8 SE
2005 D3 V8 HSE gone 

Post #193029525th Mar 2018 10:48 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

I would still suggest a second thought on the second battery and fridge, even if you're not hoarding beers then just cool drinks during the day and the ability to carry your lunch etc. Plus I've jump started my disco several times at the push of a button on the T Max unit over the years, the peace of mind for the cost is a good return. Drawers are a great way of keeping high usage/low bulk camping items (eg kitchen kit, torches, tools, first aid and hygiene items ) at hand and organised. But the big name solutions are very nice but with a price to match. It's not too expensive to build your own. Many (including me) have built our own from MDF or ply and some drawer runners and carpet. Again worth considering for £100-200 and a weekend's effort.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #193029825th Mar 2018 11:56 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

http://www.disco4.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=2205

My drawer pics (taken three cars ago in my original D2, now in D4 still perfectly serviceable and wouldn't be without
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #193029925th Mar 2018 11:58 pm
disco_v8

James W wrote:
I would still suggest a second thought on the second battery and fridge, even if you're not hoarding beers then just cool drinks during the day and the ability to carry your lunch etc. Plus I've jump started my disco several times at the push of a button on the T Max unit over the years, the peace of mind for the cost is a good return. Drawers are a great way of keeping high usage/low bulk camping items (eg kitchen kit, torches, tools, first aid and hygiene items ) at hand and organised. But the big name solutions are very nice but with a price to match. It's not too expensive to build your own. Many (including me) have built our own from MDF or ply and some drawer runners and carpet. Again worth considering for £100-200 and a weekend's effort.

I am still considering the 2nd battery but just at the back of mind thinking, would it mean tinkering with the electrics if I add the 2nd battery?? I dont want to make a mistake and find myslef in a position where battery drains, suspension fault comes on, etc etc.
Is the T Max kit reliable enough and does everything by itself? - sorry i dont have much knowledge on the dual battery setup, though I know 2nd one will go next to the ABS pump under the bonnet and I understand max 80 amp battery can be placed there if I want to close the lid (which I do)
 2005 D3 V8 SE
2005 D3 V8 HSE gone 

Post #193036826th Mar 2018 10:57 am
professorpool

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

DO NOT take a drone - will be confiscated on sight
 D3 07 SE - still going strong
D3 07 HSE - gone to car heaven
FL1 - gone to Romania
D3 05 HSE - gone to a divorce diet
D1 V8 manual - gone but not forgotten
RR Classic - gone to car heaven

Jeeps, Lexus, X-trails... Too many to name.. 

Post #193037126th Mar 2018 11:13 am
disco_v8

i rather spend the money on front bumper on winch than drone tbh !!

just ordered a couple of books written by Chris Scott who apparently has been travelling Morocco and Sahara area since 1981 !!! (before i was even born lol)
 2005 D3 V8 SE
2005 D3 V8 HSE gone 

Post #193037826th Mar 2018 11:43 am
professorpool

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I meant, in addition to the above.

A winch going to be very hard to help you, if you are travelling alone in the desert - not without a ground anchor at least. I'd be considering my route selection very very carefully and would stop well short of the terrain where a winch would be useful without others in the party.

Not done this trip since 1986 myself. I'm sure a lot has changed. I would not do it right now myself either. Plenty of Europe to see first - until the political climate has calmed down a bit at least.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/morocco/terrorism

Edit to add:

I would also consider the following from the government website:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/m...nd-customs

Quote:

Alcohol is served in licensed hotels, bars and in tourist areas. However, drinking alcohol in the street and anywhere other than a licensed restaurant or bar isn’t allowed and can lead to arrest.
 D3 07 SE - still going strong
D3 07 HSE - gone to car heaven
FL1 - gone to Romania
D3 05 HSE - gone to a divorce diet
D1 V8 manual - gone but not forgotten
RR Classic - gone to car heaven

Jeeps, Lexus, X-trails... Too many to name.. 

Post #193038026th Mar 2018 11:55 am
disco_v8

i totally agree with you but looking at the link there is no foreign country that we can visit including france, spain etc which are on route
winch is my least priroity i just want the D3 to be in tip top condition first (mechanically) as it is a great 4x4 without needing any extras.
also, my route will be to stick to main roads but no off piste driving this time. ground anchor will be useless in sand dunes i heard
 2005 D3 V8 SE
2005 D3 V8 HSE gone 

Post #193038226th Mar 2018 12:04 pm
Ted Newman

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

Did it back in 2010 with our Airstream and towing with our KIA Sorento and frankly unless you intend to cross the Sahara you won't need anything special, Morocco is now a friendly and well established country with plenty of fuel stations and repair shops. The new King has spent masses on upgrading the infrastructure and providing facilities for his people and you may well find it difficult to get off tarmac roads BUT if you do you can always hire local guides.

If your interested have a look at our web http://www.tednewman.me.uk/Marocco1.htm
 LR Discovery 4 XS pulling an Airstream 532 Caravan also own (since new) a 1996 MGF  
Post #193038426th Mar 2018 12:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >