DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Oztent or Roof Tent - Discuss
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
1967jester

Location: Usually in the North East though I have been known to travel

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Oztent or Roof Tent - Discuss

Having a quandry, can see pros & cons for both, your thoughts please.
 Paul.

06 Java Black HSE - gone
12 Baltic Blue HSE - gone
15 Fuji HSE Lux
Club Biscuits, mmmm nice!
Traxide/Luna hybrid & Yellow top
Some Prospeed bits
+ some other stuff
Club N.E.R.D.s. 

Post #125471418th Mar 2014 10:43 am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Depends what you want to use them for? As you say, there are pro's and con's for each, but it's difficult to say what might suit your particular needs.

Personally, I'm a big Oztent fan, as it provides the space I need for my family and I like to be able to set up camp and then use the car for other things. Even on a 'move every day' kind of trip they're not too much trouble.

What sort of camping do you want to do?
 Darren

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #125471818th Mar 2014 10:50 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Iguana

Ukraine 

I've always fancied a roof tent, but what happend when the kids say "Can we go to......." So was always worried that it would mean not being able to drive the Disco.

So my plan is the Trailer option, picking up the sankey next monday and eventually will have the Roof tent on the back of the trailer, allowing full use of the Disco. All this costs money of course, so plan is sort the trailer this year and try and get a roof tent in the winter.

Not sure if any of this helps Shocked
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
2015 RR Sport Autobiography
&
1992 Land Rover Defender Camper

- Gone but not forgotten:
MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'
MY14 FL2 HSE manual in Blue
MY15 Disco 4 HSE Lux in Santorini Black
MY08 Disco 3 SE manual in Buck Blue
1960 Series 2 88" (No idea why I sold it!) 

Post #125472318th Mar 2014 11:07 am
epninety

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

For me the classic Oztent wasn't an option, as it won't fit inside my off-roader (shorter than a D90).
Two years ago a friend and I both bought Oztent Jet tents. On the first trip out, down to the Pyrenees, both leaked like sieves.
After 3 weeks use, mine has several small holes caused by the frame rubbing on the fabrid when packed away.
One has been replaced without any problem, I never got around to complaining about mine.

I'm on the lookout for a Howling Moon RTT, having used one for a few weeks in Botswana, but will probably still have to keep a ground tent for the more 'off-road' outings.

Dave

Post #125481918th Mar 2014 1:22 pm
methley
a.k.a. Big Hairy Ski Monster 

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: Oztent or Roof Tent - Discuss

1967jester wrote:
Oztent or Roof Tent....

Definitely Oztent! Whistle

http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic109279.html
 Andy

Fridge Slide for sale https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2064622.html#2064622 

Post #125488718th Mar 2014 2:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
John P

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

I went through this quandary as well, and ended up getting an OZTENT RV4.

The roof tent would take up to much room on the roof rack, and therefore I couldn’t carry my spare wheel, jerry cans and waffle boards on the roof. Also in my opinion, it would raise the centre of gravity of the D3. Going for a swing away carrier on the rear for the spare wheel was cost prohibitive. We only go camping for long trips once a year, but do a few short weekends away during the year. I didn’t want the roof tent always on top of the car, as it’s very impractical, plus where would I store such a large bit of kit when off the car. Also getting it on and off would be a rather large task.

The OZTENT RV4 fits perfectly on the roof rack, along with all my other gear. Storage is great, as it lives in the loft when not in use. Getting it off and on the roof is no problem when out camping either.

Therefore for our requirement, the OZTENT RV4 was the perfect bit of kit to purchase.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
John

Post #125492118th Mar 2014 3:53 pm
nickprice

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I agree with the posting above about losing the top of the car. However my roof tent is the best thing I have bought for my car. I think if I had kids it would be different scenario however.

I take my roof tent off and store it so only stick it on when I'm going on trips. It's a two man job and takes about 30mins. However, it's great when you go somewhere and it takes literally 30 seconds to put it up and you're sat in your chair enjoying a beer before you know it (which can be glorious after a long day). Others need to mess around setting up their tents, finding where to stick their guy ropes etc, sucks when it's windy and sandy, when the ground is wet, rocky, when the ground isn't flat, etc etc. Being up on top of the car allows you to get away with so much. Downsides are the reduced accommodation space, lost roof space, and cost.

Just thought I'd offer a pro-roof tent view given that everyone here loves their OzTents. I think it really depends on what you're going to use it for. There's a reason that a lot of expedition vehicles have roof tents fitted. It's not so useful for family camping I guess.
 D3 SE with Hankook MT 275/65/R18, IID BT Tool, ProSpeed rock/tree sliders + compressor guard, RLD sump guard & winch tray + 13,000lb hidden winch, Gearbox guard, Frontrunner 80l aux tank with fuel gauge, V8 brake upgrade, Traxide USI-160 dual battery system, Frontrunner ladder, custom boot storage, Lazer LED driving lights, de-cat exhaust, Aftermarket Oro TPMS, i7 Mac Mini touch screen install (running Windows 10) mirrored on rear screens.  
Post #125493218th Mar 2014 4:12 pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I carry my Oztent and Tagalong in an Ozpod, which is great but a pain to store. I therefore came up with this cunning plan using an electric scaffold winch:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #125496018th Mar 2014 5:03 pm
matsquatch

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Interesting discussion this, as I'm thinking about getting a tent of some sorts now I have my D3 - we've 2 kids, 6 and 3, and the 6 year old is really keen to have a go at camping, but knowing kids, she'll either love it or hate it Laughing So I need to invest wisely, as don't want to spend a fortune on something that'll never get used again.

I really like the idea of a roof tent, but I hadn't really thought about the implications of needing to pack it up if you want to go anywhere. But like the idea of the back of the car being part of the tent if needed.

Will continue to watch with interest!

Post #125546819th Mar 2014 12:16 pm
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If youre going down the ground tent route another consideration is a Tentipi.
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #125559419th Mar 2014 3:59 pm
1967jester

Location: Usually in the North East though I have been known to travel

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Useage will be mainly for me & poss one of the (4) kids on the odd weekend over-nighter, we've already got....

1. Vango Vista 8 berth - used for all 6 of us, a "family" tent which is about the size of Wales.
2. Vango Aura 4 berth - used for me, SWMBO + 1
2. Gelert 3 man tunnel - used just for me + child or me & SWMBO at festivals
4. 2 or 3 2/3 berths which have seen better days
5. Hennesey Hammock - always seem to be short of trees
6. Pro Kevlar/Goretex super bivi - best piece of kit i have ever owned, light as can be, room for me in a bag & rucksack, just open it up & get in, no pegs etc etc

Have been running through a few options with SWMBO & just can't decide on which is best, all have pros & cons, just tired of the hassle of putting up/taking down - having to leave in the garage to dry & get shredded by the cats.

Ent - looked at the Helsport Varanger - one on ebay at the mo, it looks awesome but until the large Vango dies it's not an option.

Family use a caravan would be best bet but - it's a caravan etc etc

Plan on using whatever alongside the Foxwing once it's been repaired.
 Paul.

06 Java Black HSE - gone
12 Baltic Blue HSE - gone
15 Fuji HSE Lux
Club Biscuits, mmmm nice!
Traxide/Luna hybrid & Yellow top
Some Prospeed bits
+ some other stuff
Club N.E.R.D.s. 

Post #125675321st Mar 2014 8:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1