Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

P0087 Fuel rail system pressure too low
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Lrsg

Norway 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
P0087 Fuel rail system pressure too low

A few days ago I got Engine System Fault, with suspension lowered, transmission fault and park brake fault appearing in the display. Checked for fault codes and found P0087 Fuel rail system pressure too low, as well as some U codes, including one that I haven't seen before - U2023 Fault received from external node.
The fault disappears on restart, and comes back only at high revs. If speed is kept below approx 45-50 mph all is well. No trouble starting, engine fires up quickly and smoothly.
From what I can find on this forum and elsewhere, the primary suspects would seem to be 1) a clogged fuel filter or 2) the HPFP. The fuel filter was changed last year, some 13K miles ago, so it seems unlikely that it should give up so soon? Or have any of you experienced this problem and had it sorted with just a change of fuel filter? I have a new filter on order in any case.
What else might be the problem? Have I overlooked anything? The MAP sensor is clean, but could it be failing with no fault codes other than P0087? And how about the fuel rail pressure sensor? Could that be failing without any other codes showing up?

Post #21656084th Aug 2020 10:29 am
RichardK

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Hi Lrsg,

Whether the problem is the HPFP or not I suggest you start with testing the whole fuel delivery system.
1. Start by testing the LPFP and Robbie on this site has a very good and complete post on it.
2. ensure you have a good quality new fuel filter and drain the old filter out looking for metallic pieces which could indicate the HPFP has problems.
3. The MAP sensor must be clean and perhaps could be tested via continuity meter, others will be more specific on how.
4. Not sure how to test the fuel rail sensor, others will know but I replaced mine which didn't fix it.
5. From there it will most likely be a HPFP replacement.

If you do a search on this site there are many documented threads on this problem including mine.

Good luck!

Cheers
RichardK
 2009 Discovery S 3, BAS tune, EGR Delete, ARB winch bar, Milemarker hyd winch, HF and UHF radios, Rear spare wheel carrier, Roof rack,
Touring: Australian Offroad Matrix IV Camper 

Post #21657975th Aug 2020 2:46 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I do not know where your country gets its fuel from? but here in the UK down the south east, we have been having lots of issues with diesel fuel quality, apparently comes from Russia?

Post #21657995th Aug 2020 4:27 am
KostasA

Greece 

i would strongly suggest replace your fuel filter. 13k miles without changing??? i think that's a very long shot.

Post #21658055th Aug 2020 8:23 am
Lrsg

The LPFP is in working order, so that is not the cause of the trouble. As to the fuel filter, I intend to change it when I receive a new one in the mail, and hope for the best. But it is supposed to last 30k miles (normal service routine is to change every 2nd year), so I am not optimistic about that as a solution, since it was changed last year or 13k miles ago. Diesel quality is usually very good here, and I haven't heard of any instances where an original LR fuel filter has failed that early for no good reason. But I may be wrong. The HPFP seems to be the more likely culprit, although I can find very little information about what fault codes a failing fuel rail pressure sensor might generate.

Post #21658185th Aug 2020 9:54 am
KostasA

Greece 

I had a similar problem few years back that ended up to be the HPFP at the end. Of course having said that is not absolute necessary that this will be your problem.
You mentioned that LPFP is in good order, have you measured the pressure? is it within limits?

Also yes the maintenance schedule says 30K miles, but with all due respect to me that's nonsense. Am very old school and i do change oil every 3k and filters every 5-6K. In my logic this preventive maintnence has minimum cost to keep your engine running.

If you have excluded those two then yes the next step is HPFP

Post #21658205th Aug 2020 10:05 am
Lrsg

I agree that it is probably wise to replace oil and filters more frequently than the service program intervals, especially oil. But I have my doubts that the fuel filter will fail after less than half the mileage it is supposed to last. I'll replace it nevertheless, so we shall see.

Post #21658655th Aug 2020 2:57 pm
Mark1247

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I had exactly the same code, I have tried just about everything.
Finally a replacement HPFP is the answer unfortunately.

Post #21658985th Aug 2020 6:47 pm
Lrsg

Thought I might pass on the solution to my P0087 problem: a new HPFP pump. Fitted a few days ago and all is well again. Not a cheap fix, but fortunately refurbished used pumps are available for purchase, which cut the cost considerably.

Post #216769314th Aug 2020 5:49 pm
SK-Pete

Slovakia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Lrsg,

Did you solve the issue with your D3 ? I have the exact same issue P0087 only in high revs i did change the high pressure pump, low pressure pump eas changed year ago also the fuela filter, but the issue still persist did you found out what was the faulty part i have the pressure sensir on the next schedule

Many thanks for feedback

Post #22499956th Sep 2021 5:35 pm
Lrsg

Yes, for me the cure was to replace the HPFP. No more trouble after that. That seems to be the most common solution for P0087, and in some cases the fuel filter. But you seem to have a more challenging issue. This thread also points to injectors as an occasional source of P0087:
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic196333.html

Post #22499996th Sep 2021 5:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >