DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

P0087 - low pressure - only happens when high amb temp
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Mati Zeli

Israel 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
P0087 - low pressure - only happens when high amb temp

Hello everyone,

I am the proud owner of a 2007 LR3 TDV6 2.7.

I have been experiencing recurring fault of low fuel pressure (P0087). These faults only occur under hot environmental conditions (above aprox 30 degrees Celsius) during "long" drives (over half an hour in urban areas). The ac is usually on.

After receiving the fault, which requires me to stop, I restart the vehicle, turn off the AC, and continue driving with low rpm as possible. In most cases, the fault does not reappear, depending on the outside temperature and the amount of equipment loaded in the vehicle.

This issue began at the end of last summer and did not occur throughout the winter. Now that it's getting warmer outside, It happend again on my recent drive.

I regularly perform maintenance every 15,000 kilometers, during which I always replace the fuel filter as well.

I have checked the low-pressure pump, and here are the results (the vehicle was cold and had not been driven for 4 hours before the test):

Idle - 3.1 psi, 3.8 A
3000 RPM - 1.2 psi, 3.8 A

So, it seems quite clear that the pump is not working properly.
But why does it happen only on hot conditions?
I'm not sure what the next step should be.

Thanks in advence to any assistance on this matter!

Mati

Post #233761124th May 2023 5:51 pm
Lrstaylor

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

I think I can help with this one. My mate and I chased the same fault on his D3 over a couple of summers.
The high pressure fuel pump was leaking at the shaft annoyingly it was a new pump from local suppliers which he had fitted the year before.

Replace you hpfp.

Post #233761724th May 2023 6:36 pm
Mati Zeli

Expensive answer Wink
What is the explanation that it only happens when it is hot? The change in fuel viscosity?

Post #233761924th May 2023 6:49 pm
Lrstaylor

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Yes exactly that, during summer months ie warmer temps fuel is thinner. This other D3 worked perfectly well during cold weather winter months.

We originally discounted the hpfp as it had been changed out previously then spent a very long time checking and changing everything else.

As soon as he pulled the pump you could see the leak from the rear shaft of the hpfp. New pump fitted sorted the issue it is still running without fault to this day.

Post #233763924th May 2023 8:07 pm
Mati Zeli

So, my next step will be to replace the HPFP. I 'm trying to order one online, but all I could find are reconditiond pumps, and not a lot of sites have them on stock.
Does any one know why new pumps are not available? are reconditiond pumps reliable?
Is there a relible site that ships worldwide, as the usual sites I order from dont have them on stock (LRdirect & Paddock)
Thanks

Post #23386936th Jun 2023 6:57 am
ronald.soak

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Is it possible that the problem is with your low pressure pump?.
My thinking is that even a good hpfp will be unable to provide an adequate pressure if starved of fuel.
It might be possible to provide a substitute fuel supply to your hpfp when it has been warmed up and see if the pressure is still low.
Just a thought as hpfps are expensive and not much fun to change.
It also comes to mind that the fuel system has components to optimise the temperature of the fuel fed to the engine. The lpp doesn't have the benefit of this temperature stabilization.

Post #23387046th Jun 2023 10:16 am
Mati Zeli

That was my first thought as well, but after going through some posts on this forum I came across pressure/Amps values similar to the ones I received, without any problem with the lp fuel supply.

Lrstaylor, had the same issue with a friend of his and my mechanic told me with no hasitation that the HPFP should be replaced.

I wish to eliminat the lp fuel system first, but not sure how to do that.
Thought about replacing the pump, × ut after reading about two cases where replacement did not change the pressure at all, I gave up.

I would be more than happy to get some advise about how to eliminate the posibility that the problem source is different.

In the mean while I'm recording live data, waiting for the fault to happen again, may be I can learn something new.

Post #23387146th Jun 2023 12:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >