Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Park brake failure, red and amber warning lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
bobbycrispbox

Australia 
Park brake failure, red and amber warning lights

0430, having finally been allowed off the ferry at Holyhead, and escaped Wales Wink the brake warning lights on the dash came on (amber steady, red flashing).

I got off the motorway and did a check for smells, heat and anything not looking right, but all seemed well. I let the car shut down, then restarted, and the faults cleared. Applied park brake, no problem, disengaged, no problem. Ten seconds after rejoining the M56 the lights came on again. So I drove my mates back to Manchester and myself back to Buxton.

I've had a bit of a search through the archives, but in all other cases, the lights and bongs seem to be associated with something going physically wrong. Is this going to be an electrical fault that sees me without my beast for three weeks?

Post #1146822nd Jan 2007 12:27 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Sounds kind of familiar, although all my PB faults and screamers were whilst stationary and attempting to apply the PB.

I don't think the error condition affects the driving of te car, so I would think it would be acceptable to drive whilst parts are on order.

When GS Stockport did mine, they ended up replacing the whole system. No problems since.

Lights coming on whilst driving may indicate something else though. Are you taking it to Guy Salmon?

Post #1146892nd Jan 2007 12:43 pm
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

Much as I'd love to continue giving Ripon LR my business, it is a tad out of the way, so it most likely will be GS Stockport. I also thought to try Gordon Lamb in Chesterfield - does anyone have any experience with them?

Post #1146952nd Jan 2007 12:49 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

might not be EPB, did the gearchanges seem OK?, it's possible that the transmission signal plausibility checks were failing Confused

Post #1146972nd Jan 2007 12:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

It was driving absolutely fine, nothing at all to suggest anything wrong.

Post #1147002nd Jan 2007 12:55 pm
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Rob,

WOODY179 has experience of Gordon Lamb Chesterfield. He recommended them to me, says they are very good. PM him.
 Back in the game!  
Post #1147042nd Jan 2007 1:19 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

possible water ingress to the connector on the EPB itself or the one behind the NSF wheelarch liner then, I doubt it's a fault with the EPB itself

Post #1147062nd Jan 2007 1:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

GS Stockport had my car all yesterday and all today, but have not yet found the problem Crying or Very sad They've tried a new connector, but that has not solved the problem. Actually, it's worse now, as the park brake does not work at all. At least before it was just an erroneous error message.

While this is obviously a bit frustrating, I really do want to sing the praises of John and Abi at GS Stockport. This goes against the grain of other posters on this site, but I think they've been fantastic. They've been very professional, and very flexible on working out what is the best solution to fit in with my plans etc. As it is, they're now going to pick the car up from my house while I'm on holiday (50 mile round trip for them), work on it for as long as it takes (well, up to 3 weeks - after that I'll start to worry!) and return it to my house. They'll clean it too, they say (car, not house).

10forcash wrote:
might not be EPB, did the gearchanges seem OK?, it's possible that the transmission signal plausibility checks were failing Confused

Funny you should mention that, it seemed to stick in 2nd gear when I took off from GS today, required a commandshift shift to get it into 3rd. Running at ~3200rpm until I changed manually. Do you think I should mention this to them? What would it mean them looking at?

Post #11838510th Jan 2007 6:44 pm
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

So GS Stockport had my car for nearly three weeks (it was a bit less because I decided to come back a few days early) and in that time they were unable to reproduce the park brake problem. I don't know if this is because my car was left for a few days before they did anything with it, or perhaps it's because they washed it for the first time in four months (do D3s have dicky fits if you don't lavish care and attention on them?!). All I know is that I had the lights flash up on every single journey I made for the preceding four weeks.

I've driven another 600 miles since getting the car back, and no park brake warning lights or messages. That is, apart from the four park brake screechers I've had since I got it back, but I understand this can be due to lack of charge in the electrical systems (and since she was only doing short test drive journeys and only 50 miles overall in two weeks this is not so unlikely) - I haven't seen that problem since my run to London and back yesterday.

It seems that there's no answer to the original PB issue of mine, I really do hope I never see another park brake error message.

Post #13094418th Feb 2007 12:02 am
Ronfltd

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I experienced a parking brake alarm indication a few weeks ago. I had been "shunting" a couple of tons of topsoil on the tipper trailer (1.5 tons) through muddy turf. Got stuck a few times - some fairly violent manual gearbox use during the shunting. Result was mud and snot everywhere of course. Power washed all hubs etc afterwards but the alarm stayed on. Took it in to our dealer under warranty. Couldn't find anything wrong and they apparently re-booted the systems - no further occurrance..All seems fine ... Should I be worried?
 They look like S**t when covered in S**t - All except the Silver ones of course.....  
Post #13099418th Feb 2007 1:20 pm
Heyloft

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I've had this very problem. There is a service bulletin on this: LA206-001V2

SUMMARY
A customer may report a concern that the electronic parking brake (EPB) amber or red warning lamps are illuminated or that it is not possible to release the parking brake (possible fault code displayed in EPB module C1A0016 - control module circuit voltage below threshold).

CAUSE
The EPB wiring harness has a splice joint which provides a 12V supply to the EPB module which has been incorrectly specified. The joint is an 'open' type splice, covered with electrical insulation tape and it should be a 'sealed' type splice joint to prevent water ingress and corrosion. The customer concern above is a result of corrosion of this splice joint preventing the 12V supply reaching the EPB MODULE

ACTION
Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the Service Procedure detailed in this bulletin to renew the splice joint. Technical Bulletin, LA204-001V2 - Air Suspension Connector Water Ingress, should also be referenced and any repair work completed as necessary at the same time as this repair procedure.

Although this was done, the actual fault on mine was a dodgy PB switch !
 Wot's that in Old Money

Fuji White D4 HSE-LUX
rear entertainment
TV
TPMS
Park Heater
Centre Console cooler box 

Post #13139819th Feb 2007 9:11 pm
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

Finally, I think they've cracked it. My D3 went back in with the park brake screamer, but this issue also evident. After a day of diagnostics, they replaced the actuator, and solved the screaming, but the warning lights were still coming on. They overlayed the four connections from the CJB to the park brake control box (I think), and tested it, and the warning lights did not come on. After this they took the thing apart to trace the wiring between the two, and eventually found a block connector with one broken contact.

Hats of to John and the other techs at Guy Salmon Stockport, it sounds like this one was a real pig to diagnose.

Post #1366507th Mar 2007 7:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >