Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

PDC with a "sensor off" button.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Neil Pettersen

PDC with a "sensor off" button.

I've a MY08 without a rear park sensor disable button.
Module is rounded corners.
Any one replaced this with a retrofit 5 button job
that can disable the sensors ?
Can you give me a part number please ?
The wires are there and someone did the job recently, but
I can't remember whom. Embarassed
As with the radio/steering wheel button retrofit , it doesn't
need an enable to function either.

Thankyou

Neil.

Post #4337996th Mar 2009 7:37 am
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Brewmonkey is in the process of doing this right now as I sent him the panel a week or so ago. He will be able to give you the part No and info regarding wiring.

Post #4338776th Mar 2009 11:47 am
Neil Pettersen

Marvellous Thumbs Up

Post #4338816th Mar 2009 11:53 am
BrewMonkey

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3

B16 KJR wrote:
Brewmonkey is in the process of doing this right now as I sent him the panel a week or so ago. He will be able to give you the part No and info regarding wiring.

Cheers mate, that actually makes it sound like I'm doing some work rather than shirking because it's bloody freezing Whistle

I'll be having a look in detail this weekend with my Fluke to see what's going on with the wires. There are two wires going from the fascia module to the parking aid module. This module then processes the signals and can control the parking aid speaker (again, two wires to this).

The parking aid module has I/O including IGN, GND, speaker, the PDC button and CAN, plus the inputs from the actual PDC sensors, so it's not too complex. I haven't checked the loom yet to see if the wires are actually there, but they should be as it wouldn't really make sense for them to have different looms for cost reasons (I know, I know, I should've checked already and am a lazy Censored but I've been flat knocker with other things, honest!)

The potential fly in the ointment is if there is different control strategy in there for 2008MY+ that checks for front PDC when deciding to utilize the PDC button input. Therefore, it's likely that the incompatibility is part of the control strategy that's flashed into the module. In that case, I'd need to find the appropriate file and reflash the module and hope that the main ECU doesn't barf with a lower software level in this module (don't think it will to be honest). All this is pretty much doable given the information in the GTR. I just need to find the time to do it. I'll try this weekend and post what I find.

[EDIT] - just had a thought - if the control strategy is expecting the front PDC sensors to be there before it enters whatever logic is used to cancel the PDC speaker, it may be an easy test to make some 'fake' PDC sensors. When I access the GTR again I'll check what the specs are and also measure the voltages and resistive load of the rear ones to see if it's as easy as a few wires and a couple of resistors (probably isn't, but I can dream).

Neil, I got your latest PM - stay safe - I'd rather be freezing my nuts off than facing off a cyclone. Shocked
 '08 LR3 V8 SE in Stornoway Gray, Alpaca interior. Xenons, Cold Weather Pack, Bluetooth & Sirius. General Grabber AT2s. EBC Sport Rotors & Green Stuff Pads, Traxide SC80 kit half fitted...
'11 Mini Cooper S Countryman, True Blue. 

Post #4339776th Mar 2009 3:14 pm
BrewMonkey

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3

Update:

Managed to pull my finger out and spend a short time looking at the wiring. The wiring diagram is pretty clear and makes it obvious where to look first and also that the PDC toggle is software controlled. Pulling the H-panel off again (still at two clips!) confirmed that the loom is complete and all the wires are there. This alone should tell us that it's a software problem, but I wanted to double-check that nothing else was going wrong.

Pins 5, 14 and 15 on the green connector are relevant for the PDC button.

Pin 5 = power from main parking aid module
Pin 14 = PDC button switch output
Pin 15 = Ground

The obvious potential culprit is the signal on Pin 5 - the functionality of the PDC cancel button is wholly dependent on this. The PDC cancel button LED is wired directly to this, so it should come on if the system is configured to allow PDC cancel. At no time on my vehicle does the LED come on, implying that my parking aid module isn't configured to output a signal under any circumstances with rear PDC only. I had a Fluke on it and got nothing through various PRNDL movement, with the parking sensors in various states (beeping, constant tone etc.)

I'm pretty sure I have the latest software in my PDC module, so I either need to have a go at downgrading to < 2008MY software or work out if one of the CCF park distance control alternate configuration settings will make it work (BBS_SPY's CCF configuration screen was helpful in listing the options - cheers Thumbs Up). Without the correct software settings, I don't think fake sensors or signal routing will be effective. The easiest hardware solution would be to just add an extra switch to the rear parking aid speaker (two wires go from the parking aid module to this). Unfortunately, using the front PDC switch for this will likely require more effort than is worth it.
 '08 LR3 V8 SE in Stornoway Gray, Alpaca interior. Xenons, Cold Weather Pack, Bluetooth & Sirius. General Grabber AT2s. EBC Sport Rotors & Green Stuff Pads, Traxide SC80 kit half fitted...
'11 Mini Cooper S Countryman, True Blue. 

Post #43919616th Mar 2009 6:24 pm
Neil Pettersen

So , a dead end for us 08ers ........

Thankyou for this investigation and update. Most appreciated . Thumbs Up

Post #43936916th Mar 2009 11:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >