Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > IIDTool Help

Why do people want iid tool?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mini8334

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Why do people want iid tool?

This is genuinely not an antagonistic question, but can anyone explain to me why anyone would want/need an iid tool as a D4 owner? I have no idea what they are or do but from what I gather they are a fault reading tool. But is this for preventative measures? Fault finding, before a warning light? Or does this give you the ability to modify your vehicle? Are they more suited to mechanics?

Seems like a bone question, I have been on the forum for a while, but still have not got my head around why they are in such demand when the come up for sale.

The reason is that I have some £ to spend, and SWMBO does not know. I just want to know if this is a good investment as an owner.

Thanks y’all Bow down
 2016 D4 Landmark
Santorini Black
Removable Tow-Trust
Spare Wheel Guard

-------------
Previous:
2007 D3
TDV6 GS
Automatic
Blanked EGR
V8 Brake Upgrade
Harming Sat Nav Mod
Beanie Grill
De-Tango 

Post #230853923rd Sep 2022 8:08 pm
riverblanche

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi,

as recently bought one, my reasons why.

New about £440, s/h fair price £300 as you still need to change ownership so adds £25, bargain £200.

buy s/h and if you want to sell it again they still fetch £300 ish so ownership cost low.

I wanted to program a spare key so £15 for the blank and the IId did it (£60-£100 job elsewhere)

you can read faults to see if anything is starting "act up" so prevention possible.

My aircon was not working, it showed pressure low but nothing else so it was recharged ok and few months in still good.

if you do have a fault it can point to something you can then buy and fit yourself saving £££ on diag cost, or you can then decide to take into a garage if not something you want/can do again saving labour and poss diag cost (they may diag to make sure not un-reasonable)

you can alter vehicle settings so if you run different size tyres (overall size) or if you have a disco that is not level you can calibrate the suspension height to correct.

you can check things work, such as the FBH "before" its cold and needs to work and do maintenance if needed.

it may help if you get a random fault that that puts a warning light on, you can check it, clear it and then monitor rather than a visit to a dealers.

used mine on a FL2 to check the rear pdc sensors, all were audible clicking so working but the IId had 1 sensor giving very odd readings so changed that and all good, saving a few ££.

I have also changed the oil in my gearbox and to get the correct level it should be running at a certain temp, the IId can run live values and gearbox temp is one of them, so helped do that as well.

like many things in the garage its a tool that helps you "Tinker" if you want to but like many of us we already have loads of tools in the garage that we could manage without Laughing
 Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #230854223rd Sep 2022 8:34 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Read fault codes when dash light comes on
Program keys
Calibrate suspension
Service
Fit optional extras

Post #230855123rd Sep 2022 10:13 pm
mini8334

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thank you both, so it (can)pay for itself. A bit like a spare tyre, you will only miss it when you need it.

Thanks! SWMBO does not need to know the cost, and cares less for the garage toys. Nice.

Is it worth buying new. Is there a benefit? If someone has one for a D3 and I have a D4 will it make a difference.

Given the amount of people with them, I assume it’s user friendly??
 2016 D4 Landmark
Santorini Black
Removable Tow-Trust
Spare Wheel Guard

-------------
Previous:
2007 D3
TDV6 GS
Automatic
Blanked EGR
V8 Brake Upgrade
Harming Sat Nav Mod
Beanie Grill
De-Tango 

Post #230855323rd Sep 2022 10:27 pm
GLYNNE

England 

Mine managed to get me home from the South of Spain towing our caravan a few years back.
I had it plugged in and the phone open hanging on the sun visor continuously clearing the poxy fault sending it into limp mode.
Once home it decided to behave itself once at our Indy who could find nothing wrong at all Exclamation
It’s never done it since either as my Daughter now has the D4.

Worth its weight in Gold I’d say.

Also unlocked lots of features in the past on many of my old Discos. And as others have said you won’t loose money if bought wisely Exclamation

Post #230855423rd Sep 2022 10:28 pm
Roverlike

Croatia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

mini8334 wrote:
Thank you both, so it (can)pay for itself. A bit like a spare tyre, you will only miss it when you need it.

Thanks! SWMBO does not need to know the cost, and cares less for the garage toys. Nice.

Is it worth buying new. Is there a benefit? If someone has one for a D3 and I have a D4 will it make a difference.

Given the amount of people with them, I assume it’s user friendly??

You will make company owners happy if you buy new, but otherwise I see no differencemin second hand if it works properly.

It is VIN locked so, as said you will need to contact company and pay fee for change of ownership for them to unlock it and for you to be able to lock it to your VIN.

No matter if previous owner had D3, you can lock it to D4 no problem.

User frendlyness is personal matter. To me it is intuitive and user friendly. You can download User Manual before you buy it and see how you understand it.

Word of warning: be aware if you want to change things in your car configuration. If you accidently mess things you will have brick on the parking space instead of your D4.

Post #230856824th Sep 2022 8:00 am
MorganD379

Wales 

Had my D3 for quite few years now, and the iid tool arrived on the second day of ownership based on comments in this forum. apart from upgrading the halogen lights the iid tool has been one of the best purchases I made - only wish I had bought the blue tooth version back then... Worth it's weight in gold.

Post #230856924th Sep 2022 8:09 am
s60r

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Apart from the fault/diagnosis side,

I have added new batteries, heated electric seats, heated steering wheel, rear cameras, changed how hot the seats actually get, turned on park heating, calibrated suspension, changed to 20” wheels, added beeps on unlocking, use the horn as alarm, oil changes (you can raise the suspension so high a jack isn’t needed) and a few other things I’ve forgotten,

Paid for itself easily!

The park heating alone actually paid for the IID as the dealer wanted silly money.
 A mod a week until I have nothing to improve or add.  
Post #230857824th Sep 2022 9:00 am
Trucks

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Just to add my pennys worth
All the above uses mentioned I can do with my Autel for a cost of £50 for life Cool and to add any other car £25 for a years use.
I have a citroen,peugeot,and skoda on mine for family use,very very handy for an original cost of £50 from Amazon.
O just to add to your interest updates are free for life to. Razz
 pete truckle  
Post #230876226th Sep 2022 8:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have the old Blackbox Faultmate FCR which doesn't do much of what the IID does (no unlocking, no real time readings etc) but has proven invaluable over 15 years with fault code reading. Suspension problems instantly identified as a specific faulty sensor, other things have been more complex but bringing the collection of codes onto here has usually resulted in a clear understanding of the issue and solutions. Definitely need a code reader for a D3/4 or any modern car in my view, and you might as well get one that does all the extra bits. Haven't upgraded as IID isn't cheap and I'd already got others to unlock the goodies on my car, if the FCR dies will get one then.
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #230877026th Sep 2022 9:41 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >