Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Persistent Coolant level low without car overheating ! Help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
alexani15

Nigeria 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Lux Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4
Persistent Coolant level low without car overheating ! Help !

Hi Guys , i just got a MY10 D4, 5:0 L petrol. Based in West Africa. Been having a persistent coolant level low message coming up whilst driving and if i don't stop it comes up with all sorts of funny messages i.e. Restricted performance,ABS braking not available etc. i have had a new radiator,water pump,coolant reservoir,spark plugs,fan,battery fitted all to no avail. This has been the most expensive car i have had to maintain. The car has just been a constant nightmare and the garages down here have tried their best but can't seem to fix it. Can anyone please help as i am at my wits end !

Post #15561534th Nov 2015 9:32 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

D3s had a porous float problem which caused low coolant message. If you are not losing fluid I would look at the float or sensor. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #15563315th Nov 2015 10:12 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

http://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/lr020367-...4958-p.asp

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #15563425th Nov 2015 10:39 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Flack he has a D4, will the D3 one fit?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #15564055th Nov 2015 12:34 pm
LittleG

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

appears to be the same part number Thumbs Up

Post #15564095th Nov 2015 12:40 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

caverD3 wrote:
Flack he has a D4, will the D3 one fit?

Yes

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #15565325th Nov 2015 4:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
alexani15

Nigeria 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Lux Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

Hi, i am unfortunately losing fluid. Picked up the car yesterday after having the coolant drained and fresh coolant filled. The car ran fine all the way home which was a distance of about 10km. On getting home i noticed a slight shortage in the coolant tank.So i topped it up. However,this morning i took it on a longer run of about 20/30 km ,then noticed the low coolant warning sign come up again. it was on all the way home but didn't overheat. I must mention that the weather was extremely hot today. Getting home i noticed i had lost quite a bit of coolant. Like i said in my opening post,i have had the water pump,radiator,coolant reservoir,thermostat and plugs changed recently. Really fed up !Please help if you can !

Post #15576217th Nov 2015 5:33 pm
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Could be early effects of head gasket failure. Should be easy enough to, hopefully, rule out anyway.
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #15577977th Nov 2015 11:35 pm
gseum

Germany 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR4

Hi,

I also have a 5.0l V8 - there is a TSB for this: The waterpump is leaking towards the back and this water ruins the bearings of the waterpump: LTB00352v7

http://workshop-manuals.com/landrover/rang...ater_pump/

My pump was ruined totaly, but warranty had ended, so I changed the water pump myself.

Sorry, didn't see the changed water pump. Sad

Greetings from Germany
Jürgen
 Discovery 4/LR4 HSE 5.0 V8 MY2010 // Volvo XC60 II T8 Inscription Fusion Red MY2020 // Hyundai Kona Electric Trend MY2020 // Bürstner TravelVan 620G MY2020  
Post #156508921st Nov 2015 8:35 pm
caverD3

egr cooler failure? Idea
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #156520822nd Nov 2015 12:59 am
garrycol

Australia 

I have the same indication - comes on about 1 min after start and goes off about a minute or two later.

Also when driving on the freeway above 110kph the low coolant indication comes on. Switch off and back on and the message disappears but comes back - drive around town and no indication.

If the issue was porus float the message would be on all the time as it would have sunk but this is different.

Any ideas?

Garry

Post #156521022nd Nov 2015 1:15 am
caverD3

Hi Gary, float could move with relative temp. Are you actually losing coolant?
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #156521122nd Nov 2015 1:25 am
garrycol

Australia 

No loss of coolant - could be relative to temp but not likely. I now do my engine restarts without stopping (into neutral - switch off and when all lights and indications are gone switch back on and back into drive - and you do not do this in peak hour traffic) so temps are unchanged and the low coolant display ceases for a while but then comes back on - but not all the time.

Garry

Post #156521222nd Nov 2015 1:32 am
garrycol

Australia 

Just an update - when ever I have looked at the coolant level it has always been between the marks even though the dash warning would come on occasionally.

Doing a service today and again checked the coolant level and for the first time it is now down about 2" below the lower mark - so the system indications do know best.

So to top it up but with what - just so happens that I have 2.5litres of coolant concentrate here given to me some time ago. So the question is - is it suitable?

It is:

Red Coolant
Organic Long Life
OAT spec
Contains 1072g/l Ethylene Glycol
What ratio should it be mixed with water - where I live tap water is suitable due to low mineral content.

Thanks

Garry

Post #15708332nd Dec 2015 3:38 am
garrycol

Australia 

I used it and went 50/50 concentration.

Post #15714523rd Dec 2015 11:25 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >