Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Discovery 5 - L462

Petrol D5 (D4 now gone)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
simonej

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
Petrol D5 (D4 now gone)

This is sort of a cross post between the D5 forum and this forum but I guess it’ll be my last over here. Anyway, my 2015 D4 HSE Lux has now gone and been replaced with a brand new 2.0 petrol D5 in the same spec. Here she is in Portofino Blue with the Dynamic Pack and Oyster interior.....

The purpose of this post is mainly just to offer some feedback on the small petrol engine as when I chose to go for the petrol I couldn’t find any to drive and had heard mixed feedback, so it was a bit of a gamble!

I’m pleased to say that it’s a very pleasant surprise! I won’t lie, if I could have afforded the V6 diesel I would have gone for it, but it was nearly £150 a month extra on the finance and I simply couldn’t see the value. The engine itself has 300hp and I think about 400nm so it’s not exactly lacking in that department so I had reasonable hopes.

My father has the 2.0 diesel so I have a very direct comparison and the first thing you notice is the smoothness on startup. No nasty, tractor sound like you get from the small diesel and far less vibration than you get from either of the diesels. The idle exhaust note has a slight purr to it, not sporty but actually not unlike the sound of my mother’s Audi S3 - it’s still a four cylinder but it sounds fine. Inside it’s very smooth and much quieter than the 2.0 diesel, it’s actually quite refined and I’ve heard much worse V6 engines!

Power delivery is linear and the speed builds deceptively quickly. The lack of torque is noticeable as you don’t get that shove in the back that you do from a diesel. It doesn’t feel as quick as my D4 but the actual speed builds up much faster - ten years ago this would be a rapid car! It’s hard to explain in words but you don’t get that “nothing - nothing - everything - nothing” that you get with a diesel. You still get that “nothing” when you put your foot down and wait for the turbo to kick in but then you get a smooth delivery of 300hp (in a 2.3 tonne car!) and it’s actually very good. Up to 4000rpm it’s near silent but gets a bit more raucous above that and you can then tell it’s a 4 cylinder, although it never sounds anywhere near as bad as the 4 cylinder diesel. It’s very smooth and I think it’s a well matched engine for the road. It has no low range box so off road it might not be quite as well matched.

So after all that waffling (sorry!) I’d say it’s a much better engine than the 4 cylinder diesel but not as good as the V6 diesel. Fuel economy, as you’d expect, is awful! Very Happy

The car itself has been discussed to death on here and the points about the rear-end, lack of tailgate, rear seats all still apply. It’s a far better road car than the D4 but not as good as a workhorse vehicle - make of that what you will!

Cheers for the all the help this forum has offered over the last 6 years of D3 and D4 ownership!

Post #208520519th Sep 2019 6:57 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Be interesting to see what the mpg figures are after a few thousand miles have been done?

Post #208520719th Sep 2019 7:08 am
Philip1972

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

The one I use over the last 9000 miles has averaged 16.1 mpg

The guy who owns the car usually has a Full Fat SV Autobiography (5 litre supercharged) and that averaged 21 mpg. Now, he does drive this one the same as the FFRR, so is most definitely not light footed, but still, its pretty poor.

Its 6 months old and is going back at the end of Nov for another FF.

I am sure they will do more, but even when I drive it much more sympathetically, 25 is what I get.

Post #208524019th Sep 2019 9:06 am
simonej

Yeah, to be honest I’m not expecting it to be great. I’m hoping once it’s broken in it will be in the low to mid 20s, I can just about stomach that. Old D4 used to average 23mpg. I tend to go pretty steady when driving the Disco so we’ll see how we get on. My Dad gets about 28mpg out of his 2.0 diesel so overstressed, small engines are apparently not the way to go on a heavy car!

Post #208524919th Sep 2019 9:25 am
al cope

England 

Simon

I've got the D5 HSE 2Ltr deisel (after coming from the 3Ltr D4). The 2Ltr ingenium seems to have (at least) 2 versions in the D5, both rated at 240BHP, but the pre 2019 one has 500Nm torque, the 2019 one downrated to 440Nm torque. Mines a 500Nm model. I am impressed with the way my deisel gets down the road, its quicker than my D4 was, as the D5 is 300kg lighter. Also, now that its loosed up (13k miles on the clock) I have seen the trip comp (lie-o-meter) up at 50MPG (pic in my gallery) ok still overreads by around 3MPG, but even at that its still mid 40's on a run, and mid 30's bumping around town.

I didnt buy it for the economy but it all helps Thumbs Up

Enjoy yours as the D5 cockpit is a very nice place to be when eating up the miles Thumbs Up

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #208536119th Sep 2019 5:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simonej

Hey Al, yeah there’s nothing wrong with the performance of the 2.0 diesel, it’s simply the power delivery and noise I don’t like. All of them are capable of making decent progress!

Had the car for a week now and I have to say it really is a grower - it’s fantastic! Very different to the D4 but it’s in a different league in most respects, except practicality and probably it’s ability to withstand abuse.

Haven’t missed the split tailgate yet and I don’t sit in the back to moan about the seats, the only downside being the children can’t see out of the windows! 😄 To be fair that means they’re being protected by metal panels as opposed to glass, so hopefully a bit safer. Oh and fuel consumption is shocking! Like really shocking!

Post #208651124th Sep 2019 10:22 am
simonej

So, three journeys picked at random from the Land Rover app.....

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Overall it’s varying between 14mpg for a cold start, 1 mile journey to just short of 30mpg on a long motorway run. Whichever way you look at it it’s certainly not great and even my wife has commented on how thirsty it is. I can’t decide whether I’m bothered or not, though. It’s worse than I expected but over the course of a year it’s probably going to be £100 a month more than the 2.0 diesel - slightly more than the difference in monthly payments on the finance between the two engines.

That being said, I’ve never bought a car based on running costs as I don’t really care, if I like a car I’ll run it and I don’t really consider the day to day expenses. If I wanted cheap and economical
I’d buy a diesel Skoda! But when you consider it’s £3000+ a year just in fuel you do start to wonder.

As for the car, I still really like it. Wish I’d gone for the 3.0 diesel but not to worry! My wife much prefers driving it to the D4, says it’s easier to drive and more comfortable. So there ya go.

Post #209238814th Oct 2019 10:38 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

My lad has the P250 engine in his Velar and won't break 20mpg on a daily basis for work commute as its only about 8-9 miles, good run early in morning but 'rush hour' A road and town centre on way home.

He reckons he's getting maybe 23-25mpg overall when his (longer) weekend use is added in.

I've given it a longer run, 200 mile round trip, and being pretty gentle with it and extensive use of cruise control I was just hovering just around the 30mpg mark. Driving my 4.4 V8d with a little less 'care' and I would get 30+mpg on a run fairly easy and have even eked out 35-36mpg at times (trying and driven gently).

However he had a choice of d180 or the p250 at the time he had it and he definitely had the better engine IMO, it is very smooth, has a nice 'woofle' for a small block engine and picks up well I thought. Can't say I thrashed it but imagine it would display the four-cylinder 'roughness' higher up the rev range

Post #209246715th Oct 2019 11:48 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >