Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

Pictures of HK D+P install ??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
zebadee

Ireland 
Pictures of HK D+P install ??

I was out looking at the D3 today with a view to installing a Harmon Kardon Drive + Play system. I’m pretty much decided where I’m going to put the screen. On the dash at the A pillar, just above the vent. It will be nicely ticked out of the way there, but yet visible, without having to take my eyes off the road too much.

However, I’m not so sure where to locate the control knob. Anywhere I tried, seemed to be either too far away to operate comfortably, or else in the way of some switch or another.

I’d like to see any pictures that anyone might have of where they installed the Drive + Play system in their D3. Or if not pictures, a description of where the control knob has been placed would be great too Thumbs Up

Post #5291333rd Oct 2009 7:13 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Zebadee,
I can post a picture or two as required, but if a description suffices, I have put the control knob just aft of the EPB lever & the display screen on the centre cubby where more enhanced models have the Sat-Nav screen.

(I've rather lamely stuffed the brain-box in the upper glovebox.)
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #5291433rd Oct 2009 7:39 pm
zebadee

Ireland 

Thanks for that Thumbs Up

Couple of questions if I may......

That’s one of the places I had sussed out for the control knob. However I had thought it to be a little far away for easy reach. Do you find it easy to just drop your hand (pardon the expression Whistle) & have easy control ?

Also I’m wondering about the glare off the screen at night. Do you find it to be bright or distracting when driving at night ?

Post #5291713rd Oct 2009 8:47 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

You're welcome, as our American cousins have it.

Driving a manual, I'm used to fiddling about in the middle with my left hand (Matron!), so the knob is in a convenient spot for a twist and a push (this really is getting a bit Finbar Saunders now - I'll stop). Honestly? I find it easier to use than the steering wheel switches.

You're right in that there is quite a glow from the display at night, but I don't find it either distracting or annoying. I suspect the blue was chosen to minimize distraction. You could always angle it slightly down or towards the passenger side to reduce the effect. You might even find a bit of film or tracing paper could dim it yet keep it legible. I can post a crappy iPhone picture, but since you've got the kit, you're better off just trying it and seeing how you get on.

Only downside is that the level is below that of the radio & CD, so that you can alarm your passengers when switching between audio sources, but I think that's common for all AUX input.

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #5291793rd Oct 2009 8:59 pm
zebadee

Ireland 

DrLex wrote:
.....convenient spot for a twist and a push.....

Bit of a Benny Hill moment there alright Laughing

I’m thinking of putting the screen over to the right, on the dash, just above the little vent for the side window, at the “A” Pillar. So I think that the screen could catch my eye at night. Although, if I remember correctly, when I was playing around with it today, I think I saw a setting, for the screen backlight to turn off after a few seconds. I guess like a phone in a phone kit cradle. So that might be the answer.

Putting the control where you say, is certainly a good spot for it alright.

I might do a temporary install using double sided tape, before I screw anything down, just to see how I get on with it all.

As far as the level is concerned, I hooked it up today, by plugging it into the aux socket behind the centre console & found it to be surprisingly good. Better I thought than the Belkin (the one with the gain ctrl) set up I’ve used previously.

Cheers for the replies Thumbs Up

Post #5291943rd Oct 2009 9:15 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Serves me right for not reading the manual; not only can you set it to turn off the back light, but there is also adjustment for both brightness and contrast.

One point about siting it on the A pillar - some spod might think it to be a portable Sat-Nav and hoist a brick through a window so that he can have it away. If I'm parked in town for a while, I'll tend to leave some junk in front of the display to minimize the risk.

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #5291983rd Oct 2009 9:22 pm
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I've got the drive and play in my Jag. I've got the control knob on the steering column on the left hand side. So that when you're driving you don't have to take your hand completely off the wheel to use. I'm sure it would fit the same in a D3.

The controls are easy to use, just like an ipod except that the wheel is replaced with the outter dial, but the buttons are the same so it's easy to use even when not looking at the screen. In my Jag I have the screen where the ashtray was which has a cover over it, so I can choose to display the screen or not.

It's a good system. I look forward to seeing your pics of it installed. It might be worth PM'ing MarkW as I saw that he had it installed in his D3, but I can't remember where he had what.
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #5292163rd Oct 2009 9:55 pm
zebadee

Ireland 

DrLex wrote:
...........One point about siting it on the A pillar - some spod might think it to be a portable Sat-Nav and hoist a brick through a window so that he can have it away. If I'm parked in town for a while, I'll tend to leave some junk in front of the display to minimize the risk.

Or even know that it's a HK D+P & so there is probably an iPod in the car. Good point Thumbs Up

The more I think about it, I'll try to find a "covert place" for the screen.

Terrible really, the world we live in today Evil or Very Mad

I might check out the steering column idea Stu, thanks for that 8)

Post #5293694th Oct 2009 12:54 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

zebadee wrote:
[...]

Terrible really, the world we live in today Evil or Very Mad
[...]

Alas, it is.

Let us know how you got on.

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #5300625th Oct 2009 7:26 pm
MARKW

United Kingdom 

Just flicking through here and saw my name mentioned.

I have the aux lead coming from the rear of the cubby coming along the passenger side but tucked up under to hide the cable.
The screen is in the tray bit where I assume the dirty smokers have the ashtray Rolling with laughter . All the control boxes are tucked up behind the lower glove box. The Ipod is on the fly lead just dropped down the gap between the centre console and the pass seat.
I can dig out the camera and take some pics if neeeded
 HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE

They shall not grow old as those of us left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

Post #5300875th Oct 2009 7:49 pm
Sturge

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I'd quite like to see some photos as am thinking this may be a neat solution to the ipod control dilemma. Although I do just lean my ipod against the sat nav screen and this works pretty well!!
 TDV6 HSE Lux (2014MY)
TDV6 HSE (2006MY - owned for 9 years and 150,000! - now replaced)
Mini Cooper SD 5 door
TVR Chimaera 450
Series II 1960 Diesel 

Post #5302405th Oct 2009 10:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kariylit

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I'd like to see pics too! I ordered this and i hope sound quality is better than in griffin autopilot. Bass level in low level output at griffin is very low, and at high level output bass is distorted. I hope level of d+p is somewhere between them and cd400 aux-import gives better sound with this than with radio.

Post #53292511th Oct 2009 7:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >