Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Pictures that not everyone is happy with.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

JordsDisco wrote:
I’ve seen the cartoon and I am struggling to see why anyone would take offence and consider it anti semitic at the actual caricature of the former chairman of the BBC. There again, I am not reading anything into it positive or negative.

What next, no cartoon of King Charles with a big nose and ears?

Also see no one complained about the caricature of Boris, which I’d consider is actually more offensive despite the fact I don’t like the guy.

IMHO it’s people looking for an excuse to have a pop. Save the bile for something thats more worthwhile and actually needs highlighting. This is right off the Richter pettiness scale.

With respect, the reason that you're struggling to see why anyone would take offence is due to your lack of knowledge of historical antisemitic cartoons and caricatures, including those published by the Nazis.

Should you or anyone else here wish to gain some knowledge on the subject this is a good place to start:

https://antisemitism.org.uk/wp-content/upl...y-2020.pdf

Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #23353393rd May 2023 2:35 pm
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

RRSTDV8 wrote:
"Prejudice" is better because it covers the fact that the issues goes both ways. True, "racism" also goes both ways but it has become associated with whites being bad to blacks and getting people to accept that it means the opposite too is going to be difficult.

Until a few years ago, I naively thought by-and-large everyone was getting along quite nicely. BLM, "unconscious-bias" training and zealous "decolonisation" did much to b*ll*cks it up. Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad That said, I suspect a lot of this was instigated by white middle-class people, not BAME (horrible term) people.

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #23353403rd May 2023 2:42 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hardware wrote:
The squid reference was not aimed at Jews per se, but at Goldman Sachs

Quote:
Where Did the Vampire Squid Come From?
November 18, 2009 by Jan Herman

I didn’t want to post this item, especially because I have no interest in writing anything that might be misconstrued as a defense of Goldman Sachs. But has anybody besides my staff of thousands — Bill Osborne, to be precise — noticed that Matt Taibbi’s description of Goldman Sachs as “a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money,” bears a peculiar resemblance to this cartoon? (It’s from Der Stürmer.)

However, the Goldman-Sachs family, as the names suggest, is very much Jewish:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldman%E2%80%93Sachs_family

Whilst the squid or octopus have long been used in anti-Jewish images and cartoons; See link below for references:

Thumbs Up

Post #23353413rd May 2023 2:48 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

We still have a Robertson's mug like this one:

We still use it however SWMBO won't use it when on a video call for obvious reasons. Now, neither of us are racist and we both understand why the "golly" was dropped by Robertson's, but we don't see why a perfectly useable mug should be thrown away. So it's the "ah, all the other mugs are being washed but I want a coffee" mug in the cupboard.

Would we buy such an item today? No, we wouldn't.

(I was surprised to read that the golly was dropped by Robertson's as recently as 2002.)
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #23353433rd May 2023 3:05 pm
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Cheers for the link LT

I thought the squid was odd but didn't know why. Now good to know.

Post #23353443rd May 2023 3:06 pm
HWN

It is a bit of a niche trope - certainly one of which I was not previously aware. I'm sure it is very familiar to Jews and to antisemites.

Without getting into politics or in any way trying to justify antisemitism, Israel has deviated from the original Balfour Declaration and in doing-so has earned the disdain of many:

Quote:
His Majesty's Government view with favour the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people, and will use their best endeavours to facilitate the achievement of this object, it being clearly understood that nothing shall be done which may prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine, or the rights and political status enjoyed by Jews in any other country.

Corbyn's "PLO" wreath-laying may be inconclusive but referring to Hamas and Hezbollah as "friends" is at best ill-advised and at worst a blatant expression of an anti-Israeli stance. Qv comments by Cherie Blair, etc

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #23353463rd May 2023 3:12 pm
HWN

RRSTDV8 wrote:
We still have a Robertson's mug like this one:

We still use it however SWMBO won't use it when on a video call for obvious reasons. Now, neither of us are racist and we both understand why the "golly" was dropped by Robertson's, but we don't see why a perfectly useable mug should be thrown away. So it's the "ah, all the other mugs are being washed but I want a coffee" mug in the cupboard.

Would we buy such an item today? No, we wouldn't.

(I was surprised to read that the golly was dropped by Robertson's as recently as 2002.)

Don't search for images of HMS Crichton... Whistle

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #23353473rd May 2023 3:15 pm
LT

pjm-84 wrote:
Cheers for the link LT

I thought the squid was odd but didn't know why. Now good to know.

Look closely at Rowson’s cartoon and you’ll see what appears to be gold coins under the tentacles. It’s textbook antisemitism.

Just as if Sharp had been black and the cartoon had caricatured him with exaggerated simian features and clutching a bunch of bananas would have been textbook racism.

Last edited by LT on 3rd May 2023 3:28 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #23353493rd May 2023 3:25 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Israel's dealings with the Palestinians has not helped the Jewish diaspora's relationship with the rest of the world, that's for sure. The Israeli Government has worked hard to conflate criticism of its policies with anti-Semitism in a way that tarnishes the memory of those that suffered the Holocaust. They ought to be ashamed of themselves.

As for Corbyn, well, the forum's censor algorithm would prevent the correct words being shown...
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #23353503rd May 2023 3:25 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

HWN wrote:

Don't search for images of HMS Crichton... Whistle

Wow, different times, eh? Shocked Laughing
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #23353513rd May 2023 3:27 pm
JordsDisco

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 3.0 SDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

LT wrote:
JordsDisco wrote:
I’ve seen the cartoon and I am struggling to see why anyone would take offence and consider it anti semitic at the actual caricature of the former chairman of the BBC. There again, I am not reading anything into it positive or negative.

Also see no one complained about the caricature of Boris, which I’d consider is actually more offensive despite the fact I don’t like the guy.

IMHO it’s people looking for an excuse to have a pop. Save the bile for something thats more worthwhile and actually needs highlighting. This is right off the Richter pettiness scale.

With respect, the reason that you're struggling to see why anyone would take offence is due to your lack of knowledge of historical antisemitic cartoons and caricatures, including those published by the Nazis.

Should you or anyone else here wish to gain some knowledge on the subject this is a good place to start:

Thumbs Up

Yes, you’re right and I suspect 99% of the population are pretty much oblivious to it as well. Does that make me and everyone else ignorant?

Personally I don’t see why I should have to enlighten myself to something that has never surfaced in my 60 plus years on this planet.

Cartoon apart, I dare say if you look close enough at most things in life, you’ll find fault, sometimes real, sometimes imagined.

Post #23353533rd May 2023 4:04 pm
LT

RRSTDV8 wrote:
"Prejudice" is better because it covers the fact that the issues goes both ways. True, "racism" also goes both ways but it has become associated with whites being bad to blacks and getting people to accept that it means the opposite too is going to be difficult.

I like the explanations of both David Baddiel and the Anne Frank House Organisation as to why modern day antisemitism is rarely not racism as we know it:

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/david-b...80696.html

https://www.annefrank.org/en/topics/antise...rm-racism/

Thumbs Up

Post #23353553rd May 2023 4:10 pm
HWN

LT wrote:
Look closely at Rowson’s cartoon and you’ll see what appears to be gold coins under the tentacles.

That shows an awful lot of [unnecessary] effort and detail.

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #23353563rd May 2023 4:15 pm
LT

JordsDisco wrote:
LT wrote:
JordsDisco wrote:

Thumbs Up

Yes, you’re right and I suspect 99% of the population are pretty much oblivious to it as well. Does that make me and everyone else ignorant?

Personally I don’t see why I should have to enlighten myself to something that has never surfaced in my 60 plus years on this planet.

Cartoon apart, I dare say if you look close enough at most things in life, you’ll find fault, sometimes real, sometimes imagined.

I was simply providing an explanation as to why I believed that you were "struggling to see why anyone would take offence and consider it anti semitic". Which seems to be correct.

It's up to you if you want to educate yourself more on the subject or not. I just provided a link to a publication which, if you read it, would enlighten you as to why many people (I shan't guess a percentage of the population), myself included, did find it offensive and antisemitic.

You're correct that there is a shameful lack of knowledge about the Holocaust and antisemitism, not just here in Britain but across the world. Shameful, as important lessons need to be learned from it, to ensure that history doesn't repeat itself.

Tragically, the more recent genocides in Cambodia, Rwanda, Bosnia and Darfur represent a failure of humanity to learn from the Holocaust and are a harsh reminder for all of us that we must be prepared to guard against genocide happening again in the future.

Thumbs Up

Last edited by LT on 3rd May 2023 4:42 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #23353573rd May 2023 4:31 pm
HWN

The only "genocide" about which people are (poorly) educated and with which there seems to be a tightly-focussed obsession is the trans-Atlantic slave trade. Ask people how many were killed by Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot or Shaka Zulu and they won't be able to guess in the right ball-park. (This is not advocating the simplification of the subject to "Genocide Top Trumps™").

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #23353593rd May 2023 4:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >