Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Pictures that not everyone is happy with.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4
Pictures that not everyone is happy with.

I'll not include the cartoon itself in case it actually IS offensive to Jews in general https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65438581
But to me it shows an almost "Bill Tidy" depiction of the departing BBC boss whilst Sunak gets the Venetian "Dottore"/Pinocio treatment and Boris is the maggot king, the latter 2 being, IMHO, greater digs at their characters.

Discuss?

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #233504530th Apr 2023 9:24 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

It appears that the cartoon used imagery that ticks a number of the wrong boxes and has rightly been taken down and apologies issued. Likely someone in the editorial team will get a proper telling off or may even be sacked.

I must admit to not knowing that the squid is used as an anti-Semitic trope. Every day is a school day.

There is an interesting question raised by such cartoons - do we allow all or do we ban all? I don't think it's reasonable to say "you can show cartoons lampooning Christians or Muslims but not Jews". It's also worth pointing out that one can be anti a Jew but not anti Jews. One can hate an individual without hating an entire group with whom that individual shares a single characteristic of birth.

One thing that Israel has been very good at is conflating the dislike of an Israeli policy with anti-Semitism. I think that this is part of Labour's problem - some of the party dislike what Israel is doing to the Palestinians but that has been equated to being anti-Semitic. Note: I have no doubt there are anti-Semitic views in the Labour Party and, no doubt, in the Tories and other Parties too. But the conflation has meant that anything "anti a particular Jew" is also seen as "anti all Jews", and that is clearly not the case (at least not always the case).

It's a very thorny subject indeed.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #233505830th Apr 2023 11:53 am
JordsDisco

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 3.0 SDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

I’ve seen the cartoon and I am struggling to see why anyone would take offence and consider it anti semitic at the actual caricature of the former chairman of the BBC. There again, I am not reading anything into it positive or negative.

What next, no cartoon of King Charles with a big nose and ears?

Also see no one complained about the caricature of Boris, which I’d consider is actually more offensive despite the fact I don’t like the guy.

IMHO it’s people looking for an excuse to have a pop. Save the bile for something thats more worthwhile and actually needs highlighting. This is right off the Richter pettiness scale.

Post #233506130th Apr 2023 12:47 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

The squid reference was not aimed at Jews per se, but at Goldman Sachs

Quote:
Where Did the Vampire Squid Come From?
November 18, 2009 by Jan Herman

I didn’t want to post this item, especially because I have no interest in writing anything that might be misconstrued as a defense of Goldman Sachs. But has anybody besides my staff of thousands — Bill Osborne, to be precise — noticed that Matt Taibbi’s description of Goldman Sachs as “a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money,” bears a peculiar resemblance to this cartoon? (It’s from Der Stürmer.)

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #233506330th Apr 2023 2:43 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

RRSTDV8 wrote:
It appears that the cartoon used imagery that ticks a number of the wrong boxes and has rightly been taken down and apologies issued. .

Except an apology hasn't really been issued maybe? Yes, a 1000 word apology appeared in print and then the same apologist posted on their twitter account thanks of all the support given for something he didn't mean that was interpreted wrongly by all those offended. So not an apology really Confused

Post #23353083rd May 2023 8:02 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

A squid or octopus is a common antisemitic motif, used to depict a supposed Jewish conspiracy with its tentacles wrapped around whatever parts of society the Jews supposedly control. Especially money/finance/banking.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #23353103rd May 2023 8:43 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

I thought this was yet another attempt at a funny pic thread, “last” one prob being locked. Whistle Whistle

Post #23353113rd May 2023 8:56 am
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Pretty crass and IMHO, lazy cartoon-making. I didn't even know he was Jewish and don't see how highlighting that was in any way relevant. Whoever in the editorial team approved it must be pretty naïve and/or stupid and/or antisemitic.

Wayne is spot-on when he describes politicians conflating Israeli policy and Judaism.

I recently met someone called Jack Hughes who had never heard of Emil Zola.

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #23353123rd May 2023 9:02 am
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Quote:
Pretty crass and IMHO, lazy cartoon-making. I didn't even know he was Jewish and don't see how highlighting that was in any way relevant. Whoever in the editorial team approved it must be pretty naïve and/or stupid and/or antisemitic.

Agree..... however it is the Guardian. Keep going left

Post #23353133rd May 2023 9:18 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

astonbuilder wrote:
RRSTDV8 wrote:
It appears that the cartoon used imagery that ticks a number of the wrong boxes and has rightly been taken down and apologies issued. .

Except an apology hasn't really been issued maybe? Yes, a 1000 word apology appeared in print and then the same apologist posted on their twitter account thanks of all the support given for something he didn't mean that was interpreted wrongly by all those offended. So not an apology really Confused

It goes back to the point I made earlier in the thread - we either ban all satire or none. If we're going to pick and choose the ones that we're comfortable with then we're effectively banning all satire because there will always be someone that isn't happy.

It's interesting that the Mail on Sunday published the cartoon in its entirety whilst calling for heads to roll. Is that any better than the original posting of the cartoon? If it's so offensive, why republish it unless only for their own gain. I might suggest that that is much worse than the original decision to publish.

There is a genuine issue here - we've regularly dismissed the idea of "cancel culture" (I think when it's been brought up most of us on here have been against it) - this wishing to prevent certain satire because we don't like it is just an extension of that. I have little doubt that there would have been very little outcry had the picture involved the satirising of a well known Muslim, for example, or even the Archbishop of Canterbury. As I said previously, disliking one Jewish person does not make one anti-Semitic. Neither does disliking the policies of the Israeli Government.

Was the cartoon in bad taste? Yes, I think it was. Do I think lots of other things that are published are in bad taste? Yes, I do. Is the answer to ban everything? No, it isn't. The answer, in my opinion, is to show by reasoned argument why the thing is wrong/in bad taste. A cry of "anti-Semitism" is no better than a cry of "Islamophobia" or "racism" just because something is uncomfortable for a particular person/group to read.

edit: this isn't aimed at you, astonbuilder, it's a general point Thumbs Up
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #23353143rd May 2023 9:19 am
HWN

It could have made the point without being anti-semitic.

No publications reproduced the Charlie Hebdo cartoon, despite their bile against the terrorism and the "Je suis Charlie" movements. Are some things beyond satire merely because violence is inevitable? I don't think that there is a law that says so - it is down to self-censoring, in which case the zealots have won.

Dianne Abbot's recent antisemitic gaffe may well have expressed opinions that are acceptable in her circles.

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #23353153rd May 2023 9:35 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

If I hadn't known beforehand that the picture had alleged anti-Semitic aspects, I'd have just looked at it as a poor caricature of Sharp and laughed at the Boris bit. But then I don't know the anti-Semitic imagery because I have no interest in anti-Semitism. Why? Because I'm not anti-Semitic nor have I had to face anti-Semitism as I'm not of Jewish descent. Perhaps I shall spend some time looking in to the issue further.

The issue of violence as censorship is an interesting one, and I agree with you that it allows the zealots to win if it is allowed to succeed.

Was Dianne Abbott being anti-Semitic? She said that people that aren't black (in effect) don't suffer from racism. That's not anti-Semitic, it's simple truth - Jews aren't a "race" and thus don't experience racism.

That could be considered a semantic argument, of course, because both racism and anti-Semitism are basically hatred. But in that case, every group that is hated experiences racism. Is one hatred worse than another? Wouldn't it be simpler to just call things out for what they are - hatred? Does defining the hatred as a particular brand not in some part say "this is worse than those other issues"? Heck, I don't know!
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #23353223rd May 2023 11:42 am
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Quote:
Was Dianne Abbott being anti-Semitic? She said that people that aren't black (in effect) don't suffer from racism.

Always annoys when a black persons states that they can not be racist and then proceeds to use racist slurs.

Post #23353253rd May 2023 12:05 pm
HWN

Ah, yes. Diane Abbot, who once said that overall, Mao did more good than bad. Rolling Eyes

'Racism' was also called 'prejudice'. I think this is a better term.

​As long ago as 1911, Booker T Washington said "I am afraid that there is a certain class of race-problem solvers who don't want the patient to get well, because as long as the disease holds out they have not only an easy means of making a living, but also an easy medium through which to make themselves prominent before the public."

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #23353263rd May 2023 12:08 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

"Prejudice" is better because it covers the fact that the issues goes both ways. True, "racism" also goes both ways but it has become associated with whites being bad to blacks and getting people to accept that it means the opposite too is going to be difficult.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #23353373rd May 2023 2:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >