Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

Pioneer AVIC
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
vicken23

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Pioneer AVIC

Hi Guys, am thinking of getting an in dash sat nav system, i know that there is the kenwood option being discussed a fair bit, but am interested to see if anyone has installed a pioneer system, AVIC-HD3, this is the all in one double din unit.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, i understand that you would replace the current standard radio. What impact does this have to the rest of the cars electronics, any advice please.
Thanks

Post #3951471st Jan 2009 1:34 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Not the HD3 but Z1 ...same sort of set up ..double din

Nice install here

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=743
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #3958282nd Jan 2009 11:15 pm
vicken23

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Thanks for those Wiggs, is it as good a solution as the kenwood option. Any other info about this install would be great please.
Cheers

Post #3958923rd Jan 2009 3:57 am
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

I did a bit of research on the Z2 (I think might be equivalent to the HD3). AVIC is a really nice system, but in the end I went with Kenwood, mainly because I didn't want to lose the stock head unit. Also, I liked the plug-n-play component expandability. That it uses Garmin maps was also a plus for me, just got topo maps and will be able to switch between that and street maps now.

What I do like about the AVIC is it's a clean, mostly all-in-one install with a better stereo than the stock unit. But I mostly use the iPod and satellite radio through the Kenwood now anyhow. For 7 seaters the AVIC might be a better way to go for the space saving.

FWIU, without the head unit you lose the info menu settings but the dealer can set those for you, and you have to go with third party options to get steering wheel controls to work. Some people hide their head unit somewhere to keep the CAN bus stuff in working order.
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #3961103rd Jan 2009 8:00 pm
gianluca

Italy 

Hi there, I am a newbie and the question might seem silly.
But, do you need to let the original unit be connected somewhere in the car even though you install a brand new 2 din?
Is it technically possible?
Is it compulsory to let all the system work?

Is it a way to avoid the all electronic parts of the car to be lobotomised by the new 2 din system?

sideview wrote:
I did a bit of research on the Z2 (I think might be equivalent to the HD3). AVIC is a really nice system, but in the end I went with Kenwood, mainly because I didn't want to lose the stock head unit. Also, I liked the plug-n-play component expandability. That it uses Garmin maps was also a plus for me, just got topo maps and will be able to switch between that and street maps now.

What I do like about the AVIC is it's a clean, mostly all-in-one install with a better stereo than the stock unit. But I mostly use the iPod and satellite radio through the Kenwood now anyhow. For 7 seaters the AVIC might be a better way to go for the space saving.

FWIU, without the head unit you lose the info menu settings but the dealer can set those for you, and you have to go with third party options to get steering wheel controls to work. Some people hide their head unit somewhere to keep the CAN bus stuff in working order.

Post #44045218th Mar 2009 6:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >