Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS tyre disintegrated
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
goodo

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS tyre disintegrated

Just picked up my wife after she complained of vibration and banging on one of the tyres. I changed the spare and drove home with trepidation.

The NS rear tyre belt had detached and a strip of the tyre was banging inside the wheel arch as she drove along.

The two tyres were fitted 4 years ago, have about 2mm of tread left of each but clearly shot. The tyre didn't blow out but was close to it. Second of the pair looks on poor shape too so will both need changing.

I like AS tyres for their flexibility, but are they man enough for a big vehicle like the Discovery?

I've lost a bit of confidence in Pirelli. Time to try Michelin cross climate? Shame as I've just changed the fronts to Scorpion AS...

Post #23322494th Apr 2023 5:11 pm
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

The Verde All Season was made specifically to LR requirements, so I would suggest 2mm of tread and 4 years old are the main factor in it's failure, however, what your tyre pressures have been and the amount of times it has bumped up a kerb would also have a bearing.

Just saying.

Dave
 2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago) 

Post #23322604th Apr 2023 6:12 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

I agree with Dave. 4 years is a long time to be exposed to less than ideal circumstances - a few bad pot holes, for example, can do damage to a tyre.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #23322914th Apr 2023 10:44 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If it had not been so well made it would have been a total blow out!- typical high speed pot hole damage, put a claim in to your local council for a new tyre along with a photo of the tyre and the deepest pot hole you can find, shouldn’t be difficult there are plenty about Laughing
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #23323105th Apr 2023 7:13 am
goodo

I'm pretty impressed that it held together, I guess I've never seen a tyre break up like that. If I see any cracks in a tyre, I will take them seriously....

Post #23323435th Apr 2023 11:12 am
goodo

RRSTDV8 wrote:
I agree with Dave. 4 years is a long time to be exposed to less than ideal circumstances - a few bad pot holes, for example, can do damage to a tyre.

No shortage of potholes where I live. A drive to school is like a game of dodgems......

Post #23323445th Apr 2023 11:14 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

I've twice had pot hole issues. Once in a Suzuki Swift Sport - that bent the rim of the NSF wheel. And once on my current RRS which caused the NSR damper to start to leak where the reservoir meets the damper tube. The latter was on a damper that was over 130k miles old and the vehicle was four-up with stuff in the boot too. Other than that, touch wood, I haven't had any tyre issues from pot holes. I did lose a tyre to a piece of stone that someone had placed on the verge outside their house when I took avoiding action thanks to a badly driven van coming the other way.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #23323455th Apr 2023 11:23 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >