Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Pirelli Scorpion Zero vs Pirelli Scorpion P Zero
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RogB

United Kingdom 
Pirelli Scorpion Zero vs Pirelli Scorpion P Zero

can anyone advise what the differences are between the 2 types of tyres as per title please ?

my D4 was fitted with 2 Pirelli Scorpion on cross axles and 2 Landsail on the other 2 (so brands were mixed on each axle)
tread depths are broadly similar on all 4 but are about 1.5mm different but as they were in good condition with good tread when I bought the car the plan was to see winter through and look around.

Im now getting a humming from the front end, doesn't really slow or speed up so im not suspecting wheel bearing at this stage and thinking more its uneven tyre wear between brands.

Asda tyres currently have the Zero at £126 per tyre fitted, the Verde at £134 and the P Zero at £136 so a £40 saving for 4 helps a little.
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #21186385th Feb 2020 2:02 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

The Zero is an AT-type tyre - as fitted by LR as OEM. The P Zero is a performance road tyre. The Verde is road tyre that doesn't have sporty pretensions.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #21186425th Feb 2020 2:29 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

cheers for that Thumbs Up Bow down

ive had Pirelli on a previous Evoque and they seemed pretty decent, cant remember which exact model.

would you recommend the Zero? its all road use and some dirt track when taking the dog for walks, and hopefully soon camping fields. So a full on AT like AT3 etc are overkill for what I need.
Post #21186455th Feb 2020 2:38 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

I believe the Disco came with the Zero as OEM so may as well use it if you have no other preferences. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #21186515th Feb 2020 3:12 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

from what I believe they wear well, grip well and give good miles, with none of the droning issues that Wranglers give.

just gone through the checkout process, without hitting buy now, and with the Asda discount code 4 x Zero come in at £486 fitted.... painful on the wallet but could be worse I guess.

I think mine came as standard with Wrangler HP from new as the spare is still that, really should drop it down and check it at some point Whistle
Post #21186545th Feb 2020 3:33 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

One of my Scorpion zeros were noted as stepping at about 5mm left on them. I was also not impressed with their ability on snow. I therefore went for Verde all season (note - not just verde). There are lots of comments on the Scorpion zeros on the forum, mostly rather negative especially regarding wear (from what I've seen). Lots of reports of tramlining as they wear too. I haven't tried the Verde all season on snow yet, but there are good reports on here. I've also noticed, as others have, that they give slightly better fuel consumption (this was a bonus).
I only travel on the road, unless I have to park on a field, or track for dogwalking, boot fairs etc so the road based tyre suits me fine.
Suggest a search on here for more info, if you haven't already.
Cheers
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #21188016th Feb 2020 12:03 am
RogB

United Kingdom 

I have searched, and have had similar discussions on the Freel2 forum over the years. The trouble is that everyone has different opinions and experiences and the decision making process becomes a minefield.
Ive not heard of the Pirellis stepping at 5mm, but have read the horror stories about Wranglers doing it 4mm. So that's useful to know thanks.

we don't get much snow very often where I am, and I don't go to snow prone areas, so a tyre that's good in snow isn't a deal breaker. Neither do I do greenlaning anymore.

im just after something that is capable in dry, wet, surface mud tracks and wet fields, that will give good mileage (I do 15k a year) and is around the £130-£150 mark in price.
Post #21188476th Feb 2020 8:55 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Don't know why you don't go for GG AT3s, though I believe you had an issue on the FL2 -?
Always ran AT tyres on my previous D3, D4, FL2 and current D4 and never had any issue.
Key point is you start off with 12mm of tread versus the 8mm of road biased tyres.....and they're less expensive.
I've certainly never suffered from noise or handling issues (plus they suit the D4 more) .....
.... so it's a no brainier for me
Thumbs Up
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #21188696th Feb 2020 10:23 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

I liked the GG AT3 on my RRS although I found they got a bit slippy in the wet once they got down to about 5mm, less sure footed when braking in the wet, that type of thing. But before that, they were very good. I'm currently running the Pirelli AT+. It's not quite as good a road tyre as the AT3 but the bit of off-tarmac I've done suggests it's decent off road - although I think it's more intended for rocky type terrains than muddy places.

It seems to me that if someone doesn't want/need non-tarmac use then going for a road tyre would be better than an AT. If all year ability is required then I'd be looking at the Michelin CrossClimate SUV. We have the car version on our Octavia and they're excellent. Indeed we've just fitted a second set.

A pure road tyre like the CrossClimate will give better fuel mileage and aquaplaning resistance than an AT does (most are ATs are E/E rather than A/A or B/B for road tyres) and will be quieter too (not that I found the GG AT3 or Pirelli AT+ to be noisy in use). The CrossClimate is also winter rated and performs well in comparison tests across the board.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #21188866th Feb 2020 11:09 am
RogB

United Kingdom 

@Ronp - never had a problem with AT fitted to any FL ive had but only tried AT2, never got round to an AT3

Thought the AT3 were coming in at £180 per corner give or take ??

@TDV8 - I do like having AT tyres on a LR, got 50k+ out of previous AT2 ive had with no real issues in the wet etc
Post #21189276th Feb 2020 1:44 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I looked at Michelin cross climate, but not available in standard tyre size for my wheels.(20 inch).
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #21189286th Feb 2020 2:04 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

RogB wrote:
@Ronp - never had a problem with AT fitted to any FL ive had but only tried AT2, never got round to an AT3

Thought the AT3 were coming in at £180 per corner give or take ??

Apologies Rog, thought you had a previous issue on the AT3s.
AT3s coming in from £119 per corner.
https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/gen...gKCufD_BwE

At the end of the day, it all comes down to personal choice. Thumbs Up
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #21189686th Feb 2020 5:22 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

I would like AT3 tbh, great tyres all round for what I do based on my past experiences with AT2 and they look good too which is an added bonus. (looks are bottom of the wish list before anyone states the obvious Laughing )

I take it tyreleader only supply the tyres and not a fitting centre ? so about £15 a corner for fitting etc.
Post #21191337th Feb 2020 9:17 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >