Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Plasma Rope & Roller Fairlead
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I thought overheating the rope was only an issue when letting somebody down a hill. But will the drum get also very hot when whinching up a hill? I know the motor does.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #36116817th Oct 2008 10:00 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The drum will get hot winching up or down hill from the heat from the motor generated through pulling or resistant ascent. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #36116917th Oct 2008 10:04 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

I have thermoplastic (Delrin) fairlead rollers which are designed for synthetic lines Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #36130517th Oct 2008 2:18 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Bodsy wrote:
The drum will get hot winching up or down hill from the heat from the motor generated through pulling or resistant ascent. Thumbs Up

Main issue from heat is lowering out when the brake acts on the drum itself. The better winches (Superwinch etc) have the brake acting on the gearing and not the drum, this stops the excessive heat build up Thumbs Up

Post #36140117th Oct 2008 5:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

sideview wrote:
I have thermoplastic (Delrin) fairlead rollers which are designed for synthetic lines Thumbs Up

Have you ever had any issues with the line snagging in the roller corners Tammy and does your winch use gear braking or drum braking as CFB mentions above ?

Post #36141517th Oct 2008 6:11 pm
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Haven't had any issues with snagging or anything Wex. All the edges and surface are smooth so that could account for it. My winch has the gearbox braking (superwinch ep9).
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #36145217th Oct 2008 7:38 pm
Tim in Scotland

Scotland 

And you should never use a Plasma rope through a fairlead that has ever had a wire used through it. Wires can cut almost invisible grooves in a fairlead leaving sharp edges that will cut your plasma very quickly.
We use Dynema based ropes on my ship we have designated fairleads for them so there is no chance any towing wire can be used through the same lead for a rope. BTW our Dynema ropes come in at £20k a pop for a 220m length of 40mm rope and we have 10 of those! http://containerinfo.co.ohost.de/vessel_9299927.html
The winches are slightly larger than those on the front of a D3, they are about the same size as a D3!
 Now a disillusioned new Land Rover buyer and have jumped ship to something less expensive and more reliable that hugs trees.... now driving a Mini Countryman PHEV as well as my trusty and brilliant 1996 Epsom Green Defender90 Tdi300  
Post #36145517th Oct 2008 7:42 pm
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Definitely use a hawse fairlead with "plasma" - while you might get away with rollers for a long time, the risk is there to damage the rope...

MTBW.

cheers

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #36409024th Oct 2008 1:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >