DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Please tell me this isn't normal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Oldcornc

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4
Please tell me this isn't normal

So, my second post on here.

I bought a 60 plate D4 XS on 18th feb. 85000 miles on the clock and a service book full of main dealer stamps until a couple of years ago since when it has been serviced by an indy with good reputation on here (Green Oval in Leeds). belts changed at 7 years etc... I used this forum for research and thought I had done all I could short of employing a mechanic to take it apart before purchase.

2 weeks in and the car breaks. A strange juddering and then the red light of doom. The AA diagnose a failed injector, and tow it back to the dealer who agree that having only owned it for a fortnight it is their problem to solve.

They've tried by replacing the injector, but it is still not running properly, so after a week, they then enlist the help of a local indy, again, green Oval in Leeds.

Having done a compression test there are issues in 3 or 4 of the valves, and Green oval are suggesting this will be very expensive (ie perhaps too expensive for the vendor to want to repair), and as they're busy, and its now a body off job, it could be another couple of weeks before I am out of the courtesy focus and in my already beloved Disco! The impression they gave was that the faults would've been evident to the former owner and he traded it in before it failed. I cant really blame the vendor as they took it in good faith (hence why I haven't named them).

The dealer has said that they'll make sure I am not out of pocket in any way, so I am not worried in terms of that, but I am starting to think that owning a Land Rover is going to prove even more expensive that I had thought. I love the community on here, and love the car even more. But how do you guys handle stuff like this?

Post #212861816th Mar 2020 5:35 pm
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

it is after all a 9 year old car and a complex one at that bad luck yes but youve got to think ther emay be issues starting once over 5 years that can be expensive.

at least your dealer sounds reputable and is standing buy his sale but for me its full refund time
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #212862216th Mar 2020 5:44 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Is this the same Green Oval as we know and love as a site sponsor? If it is, ask Joe what he'd do.

ok, maybe "And love" is taking it too far ... unless I get a hefty discount Joe ?

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #212864016th Mar 2020 6:51 pm
garfield2

2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

Green oval will be martin,
Joe is at JAS with the delightful Steph, see, that’s how to word “discount” 😂😂😂

Regards
Martin
 Discovery 4.5 HSE 2015 MY
Discovery 3 SE 2007 MY gone with spinning journals 

Post #212866416th Mar 2020 7:54 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I would get rid, and get your money back.
It will blight your ownership of the car for the rest of the time you have it.

Post #212866616th Mar 2020 7:57 pm
Hardware

My bad ... it's Oval Autos that are site sponsors and have a "Joe".

Easy mistake to make. However if they were called Pink Circles, I would have had to accept any Censored taking aimed my way.

Dean

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.

Post #212866716th Mar 2020 8:03 pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 
Re: Please tell me this isn't normal

Green Oval and Oval Autos are two different companies.

Oldcornc wrote:

The dealer has said that they'll make sure I am not out of pocket in any way, so I am not worried in terms of that, but I am starting to think that owning a Land Rover is going to prove even more expensive that I had thought. I love the community on here, and love the car even more. But how do you guys handle stuff like this?

It's simple, we all have two options: pay up or sell up Wink

We just keep telling ourselves that when the fault is fixed, the risk of the same fault appearing again is less Whistle

However, don't think about it, just enjoy it Thumbs Up
 Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey 

Post #212872916th Mar 2020 11:26 pm
OvalAutos

United Kingdom 

Hardware wrote:
Is this the same Green Oval as we know and love as a site sponsor? If it is, ask Joe what he'd do.

ok, maybe "And love" is taking it too far ... unless I get a hefty discount Joe ?

OK Dean, what are you after? Rolling with laughter

We do indeed have a lovely Steph here Thumbs Up

Back to the topic; Have all the injectors tested first. If it is a valve problem, we'd start with looking at the lifter & followers. If they are not at fault, then it's a head off for inspection. If the fault is valves, then we'd fit a recon head (with new lifters) rather than fix the old one.

Discount? £1000 for members only (subject to inspection of course)
 Joe  
Post #212889117th Mar 2020 5:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Oldcornc

Hi, just thought I’d update this thread with where we are, and see what people think and get recommendations.

The car has no compression in one valve, reduced 88% in another, and valve 6 hasn’t been tested using a manual compression test as it is harder to access with the body on.

Green oval have been ace, putting together a plan for £6700 of work that was then submitted to the warranty company, with the caveat that it may be more depending on what they find. They’ve even provided me with details of all the work they’ve done on the car In the last 4 years and I’m reassured that it’s been well looked after, and this is just bad luck. The last owner even brought it in to them for headlight bulbs replacing!

Now the warranty company are looking like wanting to put in a full engine (recon). My warranty only covers upto the purchase value (11.5k) so an new engine from LR isn’t an option. They want to do this as it’s easy to get a fixed price upfront.

So where do we source one? I’ve read in here that some providers should be avoided like the plague. Has anyone any suggestions to go to, or ones to avoid?

Thanks In advance!

Post #213088923rd Mar 2020 5:49 pm
Hardware

Didn't Disco-Mickey post JLR engine prices recently? Thought they'd dropped a bit.

Dean

Post #213089223rd Mar 2020 5:55 pm
alfamale

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Are you sure an engine LR isn't an option? I thought the cost of the 3.0 had come down considerably recently.
 Front Runner Rack, OEM Ladder & RAI, Tuff-Trek Foxwing, B'rakhah Ingonyama Expedition Trailer, RLD's Spare Wheel Protector, Bodsy's Bars, Empty Pockets! Member of Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response.

Post #213089423rd Mar 2020 5:57 pm
Oldcornc

I looked online today and price was c14k inc vat, and garage charging 2k in labour to fit.
Is this miles out?

Post #213089623rd Mar 2020 5:58 pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 

£16k for a recon engine sounds miles off to me Shocked

You can buy a genuine LR short engine (part number LR038168) £4.5k + VAT. There is then a refundable surcharge of about £2k when they get your old engine back.

Obviously all of your ancillary components, pumps, turbos, etc. will need to be moved over from your old engine to your new one.

So so they know what the problem causing the lack of compression in some of the cylinders is?
 Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey 

Last edited by knwatkins on 23rd Mar 2020 7:09 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #213091223rd Mar 2020 7:02 pm
Oldcornc

Is that direct from LR? That sounds a goer!

Post #213091623rd Mar 2020 7:07 pm
Oldcornc

knwatkins wrote:
£16k for a recon engine sounds miles off to me Shocked

You can buy a genuine LR short engine (part number LR038168) £4.5k + VAT. There is then a refundable surcharge of about £2k when they get your old engine back.

Obviously all of your ancillary components, pumps, turbos, etc. will need to be moved over from your old engine to your new one.

So so they know what the problem causing the lack of compression in some of the cylinders is?

They don’t know the exact issue I don’t think. I think that’s why they’re happier to replace the whole thing rather than uncovering more and more issues and it costing more and more. And as they’ve appointed a garage, once they start, the bill will need paying and they don’t want to get in too deep.

I’ve just checked the warranty and it’s got a limit of £12300

Post #213093223rd Mar 2020 7:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >