Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Poor performance at school 'biggest barrier to university'
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
NoDo$h

Ukraine 
Poor performance at school 'biggest barrier to university'

In a breathtaking piece of stating the bleeding obvious, a government report has suggested that if you don't do well at school, there's a fair chance you might not go to university. Spat my cornflakes when I read:

Quote:

Alan Milburn, the former Labour Cabinet minister, who led the study, will call on universities to make allowances for pupils from poor homes by admitting them with lower grades.

Followed by

Quote:
Mr Milburn will also call for greater access to some professions without university qualifications. He said "qualification inflation" in recent years had seen practical professions such as nursing blocked to people who failed to get a degree.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educa...rsity.html

WTF? As if our education system hasn't been sufficiently devalued they come up with this piece of nu-think nonsense to justify, errr, qualification inflation. Thud

I've come to the conclusion that Mr Milburn's mind works along these lines:

As ever the chaps at the Daily Mash have their take on things:

The Daily Mash wrote:
MOUTHY teenage skanks who think they are better than you should be awarded full professional recognition, according to a major new report.

Former health secretary Alan Milburn said children from poor, skanky backgrounds are failing to break into high-status professions, mainly because they are so lazy and stupid.

And in a ground-breaking study he claims the only reason children from affluent backgrounds are able to become lawyers and doctors is because they have passed all the necessary exams.

In a bid to increase social mobility he is calling for university status to be awarded to bingo halls and wants well-mannered children from homes with ensuite shower-rooms to be as badly educated as cheeky, aggressive children from homes with large second-hand television sets.

He said: "We must also raise their ambitions in a way they can relate to. As most poor people spend an awful lot of time watching television, perhaps we need more programmes about doctors and lawyers."

He added: "Poor people would make excellent judges. By watching the Jeremy Kyle show everyday many of them have developed an acute sense of right and wrong.

"Is there anyone better qualified to preside over a dispute between two big fat sisters with dark green tatooes who have both been impregnated twice by the same retard?"

But Bill McKay, a lawyer from Darlington, said: "I know quite a few working class professionals, but not once have I met a plasterer and thought, 'given the right opportunities this man could have been professor of 19th century French literature at Cambridge'."

Meanwhile Tom Logan, a binman from Stevenage, said: "I work 35 hours a week, I have a good pension and I go on holiday twice a year. And I'll bet you my perfectly good car that I'm happier than most of the Guardian-reading cocksuckers who think I need their help."
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #49803421st Jul 2009 10:53 am
JMC

Scotland 

Firstly, these feckwits want 50% of kids to get a university degree, then, once they have given everyone the expectation of being able to walk into a non-existent £50k/year job sitting at a pc monitor, they then want to give the few jobs that do exist to the 'other' 50% who couldn't give a toss about learning in the first place. Thud
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #49805021st Jul 2009 11:55 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mike40

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

It really annoys me when they keep watering down these qualifications. My daughter has worked hard to finally get her Honours Degree in Forensic Biology.

She has struggled to get funding due to the amount of others doing numphty degrees in media studies and other waste of space qualifications. Universities and 6th Forms are full of kids that shouldn't be there and most don't want to be there either. It's just to keep the unemployment figures down and the parents benefits higher. Crying or Very sad
 ------------------------------
"Ruby" Rimini Red
Rimini Red 06MY TDV6 S
Xenons, Bright Pack, Climate Pack,
BAS Magic Box and Remap
ITG Air Filter
ERG's Blanked (Woody32)
Huge Permagrin

Suzuki GSX1400, Triumph Daytona 1200, Yamaha RD500LC, Norton 850 Commando, MV Agusta 1090 Brutale, Honda Hornet 900, Honda 600 Tansalp, Matchless 750, AJS 650CSR......plus very understanding wife! 

Post #49807021st Jul 2009 1:07 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

pretty soon all you'll need for forensic biology degree will be the box set of CSI seasons 1 through 4....
 one wife.......livid  
Post #49808721st Jul 2009 1:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >