Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Potential D4 purchase
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3
Potential D4 purchase

So thinking of biting the bullet and selling my existing D3 in April and upgrading to a D4 SE or HSE. Love my D3 to pieces and it has been great but it has just come up to 129k and I have had it for over 8 years so time for a change.

So I am looking at a 2014 plate or newer with circa 40k miles ish. May come to regret it when the crank snaps but hey ho......

So just trying to get some consensus on whether I would be better buying from a Landrover approved dealer or go the private route ? If I am spending circa £28k then I dont want to buy a lemon which is going to give me headaches.

Or is it not worth paying the premium to go down the dealer route for the 1 years peace of mind ?

Any thoughts out there ? Thanks James
 James favourite hobby is writing in the third person.  
Post #203064021st Feb 2019 10:05 am
Famousfive

Ukraine 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

If it was me i'd go for an honest private one and buy a year warranty direct policy - be cheaper and cover more Thumbs Up
 Stolen - D4 Loire Blue
D4 Bali Blue 

Post #203064221st Feb 2019 10:06 am
Mr Kington

You raise a very good point and one I hadn't considered...... are my maths right..... lets say I buy a 2015 D4 with 45K for £25k private. On a dealers forecourt is this same car going to be priced at circa £27k ? are their mark ups that great ?

If it is about right then for the extra £2k I can buy 3 years warranty direct cover..... and pray the crank is still covered...
Post #203064521st Feb 2019 10:12 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Mr Zippy's D4 seems ideal for you Mr K ..... maybe with a little bit of haggling. Laughing
https://www.disco4.com/forum/sale-2015-65-...d6508de6d8
Would go for that in a minute if I were trading up. Wink
Thumbs Up
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #203065521st Feb 2019 10:29 am
Mr Kington

Just been looking at it....... and yep it would have been spot on.

However I need to get my D3 ready to sell and we are going away soon on holiday so wont be in a position to do a great deal until the end of April sort of time.
Post #203065721st Feb 2019 10:32 am
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

I’ve had a D3 and D4 which I bought from Main Dealers. To be honest, they have both been utter rubbish, with the former being sold within a couple of years, and the latter looking like it will be going the same way. Compare that with a privately bought D4 that we kept for six and a half years............ That was bought from a member of this forum who happened to be a salesman at a Main Dealership. The car was on the forecourt with a £4,000 mark-up over what the chap wanted for it.

Post #203082921st Feb 2019 6:40 pm
Mr Kington

Nigel 207 this is exactly the sort of thing i am interested in. I have been getting prices from warranty direct today for a 2015 plate D4 HSE for 2 or 3 years. With everything thrown in (apart from labour capped at £72 plus VAT) it is either £1477 or £2092 respectively.

This has to be less than the premium from buying at a main dealer.
Post #203083421st Feb 2019 6:50 pm
dazzer252

United Kingdom 

Don't rule out the XS spec either as many of these come with extras that the original purchaser added. I have just brought a late 2013 XS (so only just 5 years old) with 70k on the clock for £18500 from a small independent dealer with a 1 year warranty. It's been well spec'd up with leather heated electric seats, privacy glass, etc and a few other bits I can add for a few hundred pounds (rear camera, 7 day climate, etc). Apart from the sun roofs (no worries of leaks!) and heated rear seats it will then be the same as my mates HSE but for less money.

Post #203083821st Feb 2019 7:07 pm
Mr Kington

Dazzer does make sense and yep will look at each car on its merits.

I need to tow a horse box so ideally it will come with a tow bar already, but if it doesn't I can get one put on. This is the only bit that I cant flex, not bothered about colour but heated seats and a heated steering wheel would be nice to keep, cold in Scotland. or at least it was ....... 18 degrees today apparently !
Post #203083921st Feb 2019 7:09 pm
dazzer252

United Kingdom 

The D4 has all the fittings for towing in case you aren't aware. All you need is the detachable tow bar which you can get 2nd hand on flea bay for around £130. The wiring is already mostly fitted (have a look on here for threads) and it just needs the 13pin plug and wiring added which plugs on to existing terminal in the boot area. Mine has got the electrics but I have been quoted £275 to get them fitted at a local LR iddy or could get the loom for around £100 and do it myself (but think you need to change a CCF setting to turn off the rear parking sensors when reversing if towing). I am hoping to pick ours up Saturday all been well and my list of jobs includes adding the 7 day climate, rear camera, towing electrics, centre fridge (got one off eBay for £80) and may then add the light guards, side bars and a roof rack!! So much advicd on here so have been well impressed with the forum

Post #203084321st Feb 2019 7:17 pm
Mr Kington

This forum has saved me £1000's also cost me a lot buying stuff i didn't need however ! Like upgraded bulbs, De-tangoed headlights, new rear clusters etc etc etc but my D3 looks good for her age and I will be sad to see her go in April.

I have just spent £1200 on her in the last few weeks. Belts done for the second time (though they dont need doing until late this year) but wanted to get them done and also had a new oil pump fitted / water pump etc etc. I have also just had a new gear box sump fitted, new gear box oil and filter..... so it will be very sorted to whoever takes her.

Excited about the potential D4 purchase, but still worried about the crank though. But I cant find another car that ticks enough boxes for what I and the family need and I cant afford a D5.
Post #203084921st Feb 2019 7:29 pm
dazzer252

United Kingdom 

Yes know exactly what you mean. We have had a nissan xtrail the last 7 years but I have owned LR in the past. I looked at shoguns and pathfinders but the D4 just seemed so much nicer to drive and sit in. With 2 kids and a young gun dog space was key and I like the way you can customise the LR compared to everything else out there. I am probably going to invest in a GAP diagnostic tool once we get it as aside from been able to switch on the 4x4 screen, timed climate, etc think it will be useful going forward to check on and fault codes, etc. I am slightly worried about the reliability of the LR as the nissan we have had has been trouble free.... but fingers crossed it won't be too much of a money pit. Good luck with your hunt.....I saw some right sheds that were 5 years old and clearly hadn't been looked after but there are also some great ones out there as well👍

Post #203086021st Feb 2019 8:09 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Mr Kington wrote:
Nigel 207 this is exactly the sort of thing i am interested in. I have been getting prices from warranty direct today for a 2015 plate D4 HSE for 2 or 3 years. With everything thrown in (apart from labour capped at £72 plus VAT) it is either £1477 or £2092 respectively.

This has to be less than the premium from buying at a main dealer.

Ouch!! Their prices have rocketed. When I last renewed with WD (granted that was a couple of years ago at least), they were looking at £1,500 for three years - the all bells and whistles cover but not Main Dealer labour rates! It must be all those snapped cranks!

Post #203088121st Feb 2019 8:40 pm
Armpit

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto ArubaDiscovery 4

Mr Kington - there could be a good deal on a 66 plate D4 Graphite (with towbar) warranty until September with 48k miles if you can accept the climate control that works to the design intent as I have had enough !

Post #203091721st Feb 2019 10:21 pm
Mr Kington

Armpit I may take you up on that !! Won’t be able to do much though until mid April though
Post #203093621st Feb 2019 11:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >