Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

Premium sound, are you kidding me?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I really can't understand why anyone would waste good money trying to get a proper hifi experience in a car.

The sound-stage is Censored , there is constant background noise that drowns out much of the quieter stuff, as a driver you should be concentrating on the road not what the sound is like.

If you want proper hifi, invest in some kit for your living room, then sit down and listen with no distractions Whistle Whistle

Post #13079227th Jul 2014 12:24 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I've always thought that the systems in my three HSE's was/is excellent. To my untrained ears anyway. Smile
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #13079767th Jul 2014 2:37 pm
Scarab

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

As an ex professional sound engineer I have always found that the sound in my D3 is rather good for a car.

I spent several thousands on my previous cars trying to get the audio up to scratch and never was happy with them.

I think it's significantly better than the Bose and B&O systems that Audi have. My only comments would be that it does need quite a bit of fine tuning with the settings for getting it right for a particular music type. Editable pre-sets would be a lovely feature.

Post #13079887th Jul 2014 3:34 pm
Rich_S

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have been underwhelmed by the audio in my D4HSE....it's far from premium as others have said and have certainly heard much much better......

I take this system as befitting the iPod generation who are happy to listen to compressed music with rubbish headphones, or the transistor radio generation who were happy to listen to mono sound.

Post #130992711th Jul 2014 5:17 pm
Dudleydisco

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I have to say that I agree with Scarab. I too have spent my working life as a Sound Engineer, and the one thing I have learnt is that the most important thing about really high quality sound is the environment in which you are listening to it.

You can spend a fortune on the most expensive equipment money can buy, but if the space you're listening to it in isn't great, then it won't sound good! Having designed and built audio suites, the amount of money spent on the design and treatment of the room often exceeds the amount of money spent on the kit!

A car - as others have said - is not a great listening environment, and never will be! I'm quite happy with my D4 HK system as something to listen to as I'm driving. Would I feel happy mixing an album or TV show in it - probably not, but to be fair, all of the Sound Suites I have mixed audio in can't drive up a mountain, or even do 70mph down the M1 Laughing
 D4 MY14 XXV - RLD/IID BT
D4 MY13 HSE Lux - RLD/IID BT
P38 RR - Sad parting
110 - Even sadder parting
S3 88" - Still going strong after 23 years of ownership Smile

Post #131002411th Jul 2014 7:32 pm
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I just have an XS with whatever the standard system is and I have to say I am really pleased with it and it has the best sound of any car I have owned.

I do like my music and like someone else, I have a Linn system at home and whilst that is clearly better, the Land Rover system is certainly not put to shame by it and I very much enjoy the sound of it.

I was going to consider looking into changing the existing speakers, but don't really feel there is a need.

Post #131005511th Jul 2014 8:21 pm
thehappysailor

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

Brian_DL13 wrote:
I really can't understand why anyone would waste good money trying to get a proper hifi experience in a car.

The sound-stage is Censored , there is constant background noise that drowns out much of the quieter stuff, as a driver you should be concentrating on the road not what the sound is like.

If you want proper hifi, invest in some kit for your living room, then sit down and listen with no distractions Whistle Whistle

I would always invest in a better system for my car. its the only real time i can listen to any music without any distractions, not going to happen at home, no time, 2 kids, 1 dog and the wife all wanting something.

My MY10 HSE logic 7 system i find very good indeed, especially when a movie is being played through it.

I am about to order a MY15 HSE and will have the upgraded 825W Meridian put in. It may seem expensive to upgrade but i have just upgraded the speakers on my T5 transporter van and added a sub, amp and 4 new mids and this cost over 600 just for the kit so i think its all relative.

Post #131144015th Jul 2014 2:42 pm
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I would like to take back my nice comments about the stereo in my car.

Having been to see Elbow at Eden last night their CD now sounds rubbish! Rolling with laughter

Post #131192516th Jul 2014 5:47 pm
martyg

United Kingdom 

Hi I've just put an order in for the new D4 , I can't wait.
Any way I decided against paying for the sound upgrade as I have plans on installing my own amp and speakers. So I was wondering if any one knows where the stock amp is and also what outputs (RCAs) does the headunit have?

Thanks

ps, I'm so excited about my new car it's going to be white with the blackpack

Post #132846422nd Aug 2014 9:20 pm
sasdiscos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

The d3 premium is actually quite good in my opinion. Much better than the audi b&o in our a5 cab.

Steve
 You remind me of a younger me, not much younger mind...perhaps even a little older!  
Post #132862623rd Aug 2014 1:30 pm
albal

United Kingdom 

My missus makes albums. We use the HK in the D3 among other things to audition mixes before glass master is made. Two other producers have heard it and are impressed with it 'for a car'. Nowt wrong with it for the price.

As others has said, ears on the road.

Post #132865923rd Aug 2014 3:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >