Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

What pressures in new Scorpion ATR 18"
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
MarkTaylor

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
What pressures in new Scorpion ATR 18"

After a long time waiting.. at last I have new set of Pirelli ATR on the Disco. Bob Jane T mart says run front and back at 40 PSI.. higher than LR suggest.

Any comments or suggestions?

Cheers

Mark T
 Nothing of any value is ever achieved without some sacrifice.  
Post #32484923rd Jul 2008 4:19 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Don't listen to anything Bob Jane says, they are idiots. They filled my to Cooper HT+s at 40 Psi, too way too high, very hard ride, just thought it was a characturistic of the tyres. I didn't realise untill I had problems controlling it on a gravel road, checked the pressures and lowered them. When I complained they told me it was the pressure recommended by Coopers. Rolling Eyes
The vehicle manufacturers pressures are the best indicator; I run 2 psi over on tar 1psi under on gravel and lower pressures off depending on the surface, down to 15 psi on sand.
They also wanted me to buy a new tyre the day after I bought them when I got puncture at the edge of the tread. Twisted Evil Took it to my old supplier who fixed it saying the repair will last longer than the tyre. Laughing
Start with the standard giude pressures and adust from there to find what suits the Pirellis.
Let us know what you think of the tyres when you have the pressures sorted. Very Happy
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #32486423rd Jul 2008 6:53 am
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Mark, out of curiosity, how long did you wait for these tyres? Currently I can't find a supplier in Melbourne who can even give me an ETA in Australia. They claim that Pirelli are not importing them yet! Perhaps this is the case for the 19" wheels?

Thanks
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #32523024th Jul 2008 4:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MarkTaylor

Well.. I originally wanted Copper ATR. Cooper told me last October that they would be available in 18 inch by April this year... then July and now next year. So.. I found the Pirelli ATR on their web site. The first Pirelli dealer I went to tried to sell me Zeros.. a road tire only. I told him about the ATR and he told they were not being imported. So I rang Pirelli in Melbourne? (from Pirelli's web site) and spoke to Tracey. She told me they were on the way.. only a couple of weeks. Anyhow, this turned into 2 months. When Bob Jane rang and said they were in.. I took the car to have them fitted. I happened to look in on the job as it "was happening" and discovered that they had fitted Zeros to the 2 front wheels.

So.. I was told again that ATR's were not available in this country. Yes they are.. go find your boss, he ordered them for me! Anyhow, the ATRs arrived yesterday and now they are on the Disco. The first thing I have noticed is that the ride is much smoother. In fact SWMBO even noticed it. If you give it a boot full off the line, they certainly make more noise than the OEM Good Years, but boy are they smooth.

Ring Pirelli direct and ask for Tracey.. she seems to know what's going on.

Cheers

Mark T
Post #32532424th Jul 2008 10:56 am
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Mark,
You are comparing worn Wranglers with brand new Pirellis. Has anyone compared NEW Wranglers with Pirelli ATR's?
When I compared Wranglers (as new) and AT2's (new) on the road (not offroad) the Wranglers were easily better.
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #32533424th Jul 2008 12:06 pm
MarkTaylor

Good point you have raised.

The OEM Wranglers became noisier as they wore.

They still had around 5 - 10K worth of tread, but i am going on a long trip come October that will include a lot of "off road" conditions.. so I changed now.

I have used the Wranglers off road a lot in the past and they are amazing (or perhaps the D3 is) as to where they can go. In any sort of mud though, they are slicks. I have had uneven wear issues.. and the new wheel alignment showed the wheels to be all over the place from the last alignment that was only 3 months ago by the dealer. (No off road since then) The tyre dealer let me watch the laser and see how far all 4 wheels were out. The are now all the same.

How the Scorpion ATRs perform off road is yet to be seen as well as wear. But they are certainly a lot cheaper than replacing with another set of Wrangler OEM tyres. My own pet theory is that because the OEMs are made in Germany they are made for cruising the AutoBahns at high speed and so are a softer compound.

I go to Germany every 12 months on business and see a lot of D3s just flying around Munich on their autobahns.

As to the ATRs.. well in the fullness of time we'll know.

Cheers

Mark T
Post #32551624th Jul 2008 11:26 pm
mobyone

Hi Mark, thanks for the tip, I did e-mail Pirelli and they have now confirmed 26 19" tyres are due in Australia in 3 weeks time. They suggested I place an order with Bob jane and I should have them ASAP....

I too am not sure how they will compare to the OEM wranglers, as I have been relatively happy with mine except for the road noise which was caused due to poor alignment at around 18,000km's. Ive done another 20,000 kms since and they are still Ok about 3-4mm left so am thinking what to replace them with. I like the new ATR but will wait a few months to see how they settle in, so your feedback will be most welcome, especially after your big trip.

BTW, what sort of price did you get for the 18"'s and are they really cheaper than the OEM's? I've been quoted $470/Wrangler but no price yet for Scorpion ATR...

Cheers
Moby

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II

Post #32554525th Jul 2008 5:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MarkTaylor

My 18" ATRs cost me $340 each fitted. Bob Jane have a variety of wheel balance options.. mine worked out at $12 or so each. I had the dealer put it in "Wheel Alignment Mode" and then BJ did the alignment. The toe in was out dramatically on all 4 wheels. (Done through dealer not too long ago) They are now all set to plus 0.5 deg toe out on all wheels. The dealer then set the suspension to normal. They quoted me $55 when i booked it in and charged me $77 when they did it!

That's life.

Cheers

Mark T
Post #32555125th Jul 2008 7:33 am
mobyone

$77 Thumbs Up .....

sure beats $220 Mad Mad that the dealer charged me last year for an alignment!!!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II

Post #32556825th Jul 2008 8:40 am
Neil Pettersen

Crikey Mobyone !

Post #32557025th Jul 2008 8:43 am
mobyone

What was I supposed to do Neil? Sad

They basically gave me the standard crap about how it takes nearly 3 hrs to complete and they charge around $100/hr. At that time there weren't many other options.... Today I feel much more confident in taking the vehicle to a tyre dealer for an alignment, which is exactly what I intend to do, (next time) ....

Cheers Moby

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II

Post #32557125th Jul 2008 8:48 am
MarkTaylor

The wheel alignment.. Dealer charged $77 for "Computer Stuff" and Bob Jane charged $66 for 4 wheel alignment.

Makes for a total of $143. But at least I know it's OK. Bob Jane offer a free wheel alignment at 12,000 km but first the dealer has to perform their balk magic again first.

Cheers

MT
Post #32558725th Jul 2008 9:26 am
Neil Pettersen

Mark,

When you watched the Bob Jane lot doing the alignment, how long did it take them ?

I've not had this done for many years ....... change too often I suppose.

Post #32559325th Jul 2008 9:50 am
MarkTaylor

From on the ramp to off... about a half hour.

Cheers

Mark
Post #32589926th Jul 2008 1:59 am
mobyone

$77 just to put it in wheel alignment mode Shocked Shocked Shocked That's ridiculous and simply a monopoly that LR have created.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II

Post #32591526th Jul 2008 8:13 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >