Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Problem with brakes after new calipers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Astor

Sweden 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Problem with brakes after new calipers

It’s an LR 3 2007. I changed all four calipers and all pads, using new after market parts. After bleeding several times, both old school manual and also computer assisted for the ABS, the brake pedal goes almost to the floor at first brake, then feels firm and perfect when pumping the brake a few times.Then again same problem turns up every time I brake and it will not get any better even after 40 - 50 km.
It seems as the calipers goes to long way back after the braking, so I have to push them in position towards the disc, pushing the brake pedal two or three times. i also changed the main brake cylinder.
Anyone got an good answer how to solve this?

Post #203901521st Mar 2019 9:03 pm
Dazz360

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Silly question but are the callipers the right way round, friend of mine changed his car callipers and didn’t realise the bleed nipple was at the bottom when it should be towards the top
Just a thought
 Metal auto sump & fluid change (3 hrs)
LR door puddle projectors (10 mins)
Tinted Bonnet wind deflector (10 mins)
All Intercooler pipes and Tbolts (2hrs)
3 injectors replaced so far (30mins)
Sunroof drain pipes both sides 2.5 hrs)
Rear discs, shoes,pads,callipers,flexi hoses, rigid brake line, n/s upper hub carrier bush and rear n/s upper arm (13hrs over 2 days) 

Post #203904021st Mar 2019 10:15 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

A long brake pedal then working okay after pumping usually indicate air in the system. Start bleeding from the LHR, then RHR, then LHF then RHF

Post #203910122nd Mar 2019 8:30 am
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

do they work even though the pedal goes down if so I would drive it a bit to let the pads bed in as this often happens to me/others when you change all discs/pads and for this reason I normally change an axle set at a time giving them time to bed in then do the other axle (you did degrease the discs didn't you)
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #203911722nd Mar 2019 9:14 am
sutty2006

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Definately sounds like air in the system. When you pump the pedal, it compresses the air to give you a harder pedal.

Post #203912922nd Mar 2019 9:53 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Penny to a pound, what is happening is the calliepr piston seals which are square are dry as Censored and are trying to roll in their groove as the piston is pushed out and then rolling back into their correct psoititon and pulling the piston back a knatts cock hence the long first press.

Cure is a syringe with very fine needle and some brake fluid, with the wheel off (obviously!) remove the calliper and turn upside down push the needle through the piston gaiter at the top and inject some brake fluid, not a lot a few drips should do the trick.
Then exercise each calliper in turn, dont pump the piston all the way out Shocked
As the needle is so fine the gaiter will self heal

Same trick also works well on noisy ball joints, but using pas oil and not brake fluid

Post #203922622nd Mar 2019 2:46 pm
Astor

Sweden 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Problems solved, and a big thanks to all of you. The calipers where actually placed on the wrong side so the bleed nipple pointed down and therefore air could not escape. So obvious, but I could not see it.
Most embarrassing Shocked

Post #203941122nd Mar 2019 9:45 pm
lynalldiscovery

Ive done that before with a clutch slave, seemed like such a good idea at the time!

Post #203941922nd Mar 2019 10:22 pm
yogi972

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Been there done that Laughing

Post #203942422nd Mar 2019 10:52 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Me too, a few years back on a Tranny van Embarassed . Browny points to Dazz360 Bow down
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #203946823rd Mar 2019 8:27 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

lynalldiscovery wrote:
Ive done that before with a clutch slave, seemed like such a good idea at the time!

Fancy doing that , I’ve never put a calliper in upside down, honest I haven’t Whistle Whistle

Post #203947723rd Mar 2019 8:48 am
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

My views on this post are quite different to some above, and I fully expect to be shot down for them - but here we go.

This is fundamentally not funny.

The OP has undertaken a job that they simply don't have the skills to do. This demonstrates a total mis-understanding of braking systems, and a lack of respect for their safety and others safety.
Putting the calipers on upside down shows a lack of understanding about how the brake fluid (and air) is bled from the system, and to then drive (presumably on public roads) for 40 - 50 Km, shows a total disregard for the issue.

Quote:
.Then again same problem turns up every time I brake and it will not get any better even after 40 - 50 km.

The car should not have been moved from the spot it was in if a decent brake pedal could not be achieved. Soft brakes never get better with distance, and the risk of driving a 2.7 tonne vehicle without brakes is just crazy.

I'm not claiming to have never made a mistake with vehicle maintenance, but some things require a bit more thinking about than others, and if you're unsure, don't take the car on the road.

Rant over.
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #203951723rd Mar 2019 10:14 am
yogi972

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Blimey

Chill man Rolling Eyes

Post #203959223rd Mar 2019 3:09 pm
tcr4x4

United Kingdom 

A mate of mine took his car to a main Lr dealer for new callipers..

Guess what.. they fitted them the wrong way... some legal threats later he got a very good and long lasting service agreement and compensation.

Just because you wear overalls with a garage name, doesn’t necessarily mean you are any more qualified than a home mechanic.
Everyone makes mistakes.

Post #203962823rd Mar 2019 5:29 pm
lynalldiscovery

rrhool wrote:
My views on this post are quite different to some above, and I fully expect to be shot down for them - but here we go.

This is fundamentally not funny.

The OP has undertaken a job that they simply don't have the skills to do. This demonstrates a total mis-understanding of braking systems, and a lack of respect for their safety and others safety.
Putting the calipers on upside down shows a lack of understanding about how the brake fluid (and air) is bled from the system, and to then drive (presumably on public roads) for 40 - 50 Km, shows a total disregard for the issue.

Quote:
.Then again same problem turns up every time I brake and it will not get any better even after 40 - 50 km.

The car should not have been moved from the spot it was in if a decent brake pedal could not be achieved. Soft brakes never get better with distance, and the risk of driving a 2.7 tonne vehicle without brakes is just crazy.

I'm not claiming to have never made a mistake with vehicle maintenance, but some things require a bit more thinking about than others, and if you're unsure, don't take the car on the road.

Rant over.

Many many garaegs do worse work than your average diy man, most pros are working to times and they will achieve them no matter what, whereas diy man can just plod along.
Ive worked with many a mech who I wouldnt let near my car and they are working on trucks!

Ive seen mechs fit brake pads back to front, mechs reline the whole truck and not adjust the brakes afterwards so when it went out of the workshop they couldnt stop it, the list of scary stuff is endless.
Mechs service a truck and when taking it out of the shop the track rod fell off as the joint was that shagged, yet they had not noticed it when inspecting it!

This is why I always chuckle to myself when people wet their pants as a car has FMDSH Mr. Green

Building trades are the same, Ive never not once had a guy come and do work for me and thought wow that was excellent!

Post #203966323rd Mar 2019 7:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >