Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ASD3V8

2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Problems

I have a '05 D3 HSE 4.4 V8. My first problem is the steering... i have taken it in to a Land Rover Garage and they said there isn't anything wrong, but my opinion is that the steering is slightly loose. Whether i steer left or right i have to move the steering wheel a small amount before the power steering bites in. It makes cornering difficult at times, because i have to adjust the way i drive to suit the steering capabilities of the car. I believe this has an impact on my 2nd problem, which is handling. The car is obviously not designed to go fast around corners, but even taking round-a-bouts at 15-18 mph makes the car sways a lot more than my friends '55 TDV6 model. So unless i go stupidly slow when turning and cornering it makes for an uncomfortable experience. My next problem is relatively intermittent. Mostly in the mornings and from start when leaving work at night, the car has a very uncomfortable squeal coming from what seems to be the wheels (or that area). I think it's the right side, but can’t tell exactly. It happens when reversing slowly and when moving at slow speeds (5mph). I took the car to Land Rover and they said brake pads (this was 6 months ago), so they changed the pads and it was ok for about 2 weeks. Then the noise came back and so i decided to let my mechanic friend look at it and he thought maybe discs or combination of pads and discs, so he ground down the discs a bit. This worked for a couple of months, but the noise came back and has been getting worse. I don't know very much about mechanics of cars, so it’s hard for me to understand what's best to do. And i don't have loads of money that i could pay someone to experiment different things, to then find there’s no cure. I wonder if anyone on here would be able to shed any light on ways to address these problems??

Post #5766198th Jan 2010 10:43 am
roamingman

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Not sure about steering, but the squeal could be handbrake, that was my proplem, their are posts on the forum about EHB also I think their will be someone along soon with more experance than me.

Good luck
 convoy For Heroes record holder (348)
Live life 'til you die
Team Teddy Bears Picnic 

Post #5766318th Jan 2010 10:53 am
Chicken Duck

Vatican 

My disco's had the squeeling since new.Its now 4 year old. Same thing when i set off occasionally now and then breaks squeel for a few secs. Nothing to worry about it's just the pads touching the calipers a fraction.Goes by it's self or touch brake pedal a bit and noise goes. sorry can't help with other problem.

Post #5766828th Jan 2010 12:21 pm
ASD3V8

2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks for the responses so far.

Just to clarify, the squeal is very loud. And i've tried tapping the brakes but it goes in its own time - usually a minute or two after setting off on a journey, or as soon as i go faster than about 20mph.

If there are any technicians on here then i'd appreciate any insight.

Thanks.

Post #5768138th Jan 2010 2:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >