Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Problems fitting towbar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
nigelc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Problems fitting towbar

Wonder if anyone can help.

I bought a removable tow bat and wiring kit on ebay.

On pushing the tow bar into the slot it locked in OK, but having turned the key anti-clockwise, I couldn’t remove it from the towbar, which is what you are (obviously) meant to do. I then pulled the green lever out and turned anti-clockwise and removed tow bar. Problem is the green lever stays pulled out and does not cover the red collar. So if I put the tow bar back it clicks in but leaves the red collar exposed – so effectively there is no lock to prevent the green levey turning anti-clocwise and the thing dropping out. I meant to attach some pictures but can't work out how to include these in the post. Any ideas.

On the electrics, these look fairly straightforward even for me, but the section that has the fuse block on it also has an eye connector, which the instructions indicate you should fit over a screw head in the compartment in front of the rear light fitting and a female spade connector on which instructions are silent. Should I fit the eye over a screw that already has an earthing strap attached, or to one that hasn’t – does it matter? Also what do you do with the spade connector- there is a male spade fitting in the compartment but it’s too wide.

The towbar instructions are branded Brinks and the wiring instructions branded Thule.

Post #34402415th Sep 2008 10:01 am
simonsi

New Zealand 

Mine sometimes needs a whack with a wooden mallet upwards to seat fully and allow the latch and lock to fully engage. Never a problem removing it after towing though.

The eye connector must be an earth so fitting it under an existing earth will be fine. Can't comment on the spade conn though...
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #34402715th Sep 2008 10:09 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Sounds like you've not seated the towbar all the way in, it usually clicks in place & then you can remove the key. Had that problem the first (oh and only) time I fitted my towbar on. It's been on ever since Very Happy
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #34403215th Sep 2008 10:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nigelc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
This may help

]http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/14212/normal_P9140676.JPG[/img]

Sorry don't think I've got the hang of putting photos in a post yet

Post #34416615th Sep 2008 3:30 pm
nigelc

[img]http://www.disco3.c[img]http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/14212/normal_P9140674.JPG

Post #34416715th Sep 2008 3:31 pm
nigelc

Photos

Definitely not getting the hang of this - if you click on gallery at the bottom, there are 3 photos. First 2 show green lever not covering red collar when supposedly locked and third one shows position when removed. Following earlier advice I am now owner of large rubber mallet and debating whether to use on towbar or house co-resident aka w..e

Post #34417015th Sep 2008 3:36 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Definately looks as though it just needs some additional persuasion. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #34418215th Sep 2008 4:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nigelc

Thanks for advice - blow with a mallet solved the problem (well towbar at least) Still need to find out about spade connector in wiring pack

Post #34449216th Sep 2008 9:41 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

The eye will be fine connected to an existing ground connector with existing wires on, The top nut shoud come off & just add it there.

As for the other spade connector....? Don't know I'm afraid.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #34453916th Sep 2008 11:19 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

There are two spade connectors on the tow wiring, one for the trailer socket and one for the auxilliary (white) socket. Just add them to the existing earth post in the rear left cubby locker when you plug the loom in. Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #34454216th Sep 2008 11:37 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >