Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Problems solved!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
disconutter

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Problems solved!!!

Last week I posted a question about what turned out to be EGR valve problems. Having blanked off the valves and NOT disabled the butterfly Embarassed caused the ECU to throw a code relating to the EGR valves. So going on and disconnecting the Butterfly then stopped the ECU from throwing any more codes, but I was still getting the sluggish starts and black smoke under heavy acceleration. So I have now had new EGR valves fitted and WOW!!
what a difference. No more sluggish starts and no more black smoke. Should I leave it as it is or should I block them off again???? Question
 ONE LIFE - SO LIVE IT!!!  
Post #69349716th Sep 2010 12:51 pm
Quagmire

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Er.......... If you have had new EGR's replaced, just leave them alone!

They'll be fine.
 Giggity - Giggity  
Post #69350816th Sep 2010 1:32 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Strange.....

Are you sure you didn't do anything strange when you blanked them off and later removed the butterfly?

Hang on....you say "disconnected the butterfly"....did you just unplug the connector or did you physically remove the disc from the admission chamber? Question Shocked

Your D3 is a 2006 model, but do you know if it is a MY06 or MY07 model? (check the 10th digit of your VIN).....if it was the latter, then replacing the EGR valves was probably the only viable course of action anyway.....
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #69351016th Sep 2010 1:33 pm
disconutter

Hi Paul, its a MY06, and I removed the butterfly as instructed, but I was more concerned by the sluggishness and black smoke. Since changing the EGR valves thats all stopped..THANKFULLY
 ONE LIFE - SO LIVE IT!!!  
Post #69376217th Sep 2010 12:02 am
PaulP

Very strange......there's no reason at all why blanking the EGRs and removing the butterfly would cause such noticeable problems.....

The only thing I can think of is that you didn't do the bolts up properly after fitting the blanking plates and this was causing air to be leaked outwards under pressure....it would be an easy mistake to make, but I doubt that this is the reason.....

Just to clarify, you blanked the EGRs with thin blanking plates between the EGRs and the pipes that go up to the admission chamber (leaving the pipes in situ), or did you fit a full blanking kit and remove the pipes?

You say that you had lots of smoke after blanking (but without removing the butterfly), and this continued exactly the same after removing the butterfly?

Sorry for the questions, but it's an interesting fault Thumbs Up
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #69380017th Sep 2010 8:36 am
disconutter

Hi Paul..
Correct, firstly just blanked the EGR's with thin blanking plates. A week later I had problems with losing power after a long run. A few days later I removed the butterfly only, not the pipes. The next day I had the new EGR's fitted. I would have liked to have fitted the EGR's at a later date but because I had a long journey to do, I was concerned I may have further problems. Since fitting, I have had no further problems.
 ONE LIFE - SO LIVE IT!!!  
Post #69384017th Sep 2010 11:08 am
al cope

England 

so, if a dealer has fitted new EGR's, I'm guessing that you have no blanking plates fitted now, and still have the butterfly out.

I'm guessing it would have been easier if you had done all the right stuff at the same time. Thumbs Up

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #69386617th Sep 2010 12:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
disconutter

No Al you would be wrong. All has been restored to its former glory, and my dealer says " if I F*%K about with it anymore, he will remove my arms"

But I do love to tinker Whistle
 ONE LIFE - SO LIVE IT!!!  
Post #69395917th Sep 2010 4:49 pm
al cope

England 

Ah - I see said the blind man - thought you'd ended up with some sort of hybrid. Thumbs Up

dealers - what the hell do they know (apart from how to swiftly remove the contents of your wallet)

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #69396417th Sep 2010 4:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

I do love a bit of tinkering myself Mr. Green Laughing

disconutter - I'm sorry, but something went wrong whilst you were a-tinkering Laughing

Just reading your last post again.....so you removed the butterfly because it was smoking and then had the EGRs replaced the next day??

So you were running "correctly" with both blanks and minus butterfly for less than 24h? And was it still smoking a lot during this time?
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #69396617th Sep 2010 4:59 pm
disconutter

Unnecessary quote removed

Yep, as I said I would have preferred to leave it a bit longer to 'check it out' but with a long journey ahead and with it still smoking (under pressure), I made the decision to fit new EGR's.
 ONE LIFE - SO LIVE IT!!!  
Post #69397917th Sep 2010 5:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >