Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

PU or OEM Bushes upper and lower arms?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
bmbmdmb

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
PU or OEM Bushes upper and lower arms?

What are your opinions on using OEM rubber bushes Vs polyurethane (let say powerflex purple).

Would you recommend doing OEM all round given this is conducive to nice comfort ride with its air suspension or mix and match OEM with some OEM, if latter which bushes? I note some of the upper arm bushes are quite small and might be better with PU, in sense that harshness might be less evident.

It would be DIY job. I have my own puller tool and done this job a few times on other cars; yes, it is a PITA job!

Ps I've read some people saying stay away from pu and others being plaudits for pu, so what's your take?
Thanks

Post #233342015th Apr 2023 10:53 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

OEM. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #233342316th Apr 2023 12:05 am
Jamiehol

United Kingdom 

I’d go OEM or more specifically Meyle HD arms, have a D3 with a set of Meyle HD arms, and a D4 with SuperPro bushes in the lower arms.

The D3 has a more complaint ride over bumps than the D4, so is a nicer drive on the UK roads.

Post #233342616th Apr 2023 6:34 am
NC500

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Disco Mike fitted PU bushes to front lower arms 50k miles ago and I can honestly say there was no discernible difference in noise or harshness. At the last MOT they still looked and performed like new. I can’t say what PU all around would be like but as I have only just replaced upper rear arms once after 120k I went with OEM Lemforder at that back. I decided to go PU on the front as I had already replaced lower fronts twice with OEM and was sick of the inconvenience and cost of of them only lasting around 40k miles each time.

Post #233342916th Apr 2023 8:14 am
bmbmdmb

Any idea who makes OEM for Land Rover D4?

Ok, keep opinions coming! Thanks.

Where could I buy Meyle arms with prefitted bushes? I googled but not alot of options. I think Advanced Factors of Southampton didn't list bushes other than those for the body, which is another concern. If I fit PU in the suspension arms and firm up the ride, are the body bushes (look orange from new) going to wear out? I'm guessing the body bushes are going to be a body off replacement/ not DIY job?

On other cars I'm only familiar with Powerflex and Whiteline. The powerflex purple are the least hard shore 80 and have been used in ARB and rear axle trailing arm bush. They were firmer but ok. The Whiteline were offered fitted to the lower suspension arm and were the cost of the arm alone from Vauxhall. Despite assurances they were shore 80 I've read they are more likely shore 90 or 95 (they are black). I'm going to remove the rear axle bush in summer and replace with rubber. Lemforder rubber seem to be the dearer option and have a good review. Every car is different but I noticed on almost flat roads with slight divots/undulations the car has a "at sea rocking motion" but faster. I just changed rear shocks and a broken spring after 15k miles from previously new rear springs, shocks. I think PU is too harsh even though I'm the driver with the queue behind me when I approach speed bumps.

Post #233343716th Apr 2023 10:22 am
Jamiehol

United Kingdom 

Here you go Meyle HD arms at Advanced Factors https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/kit680hd...6313-p.asp

If buying from AF don’t forget to use the discount code.

Post #233344016th Apr 2023 10:39 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

NC500 wrote:
Disco Mike fitted PU bushes to front lower arms 50k miles ago and I can honestly say there was no discernible difference in noise or harshness. At the last MOT they still looked and performed like new. I can’t say what PU all around would be like but as I have only just replaced upper rear arms once after 120k I went with OEM Lemforder at that back. I decided to go PU on the front as I had already replaced lower fronts twice with OEM and was sick of the inconvenience and cost of of them only lasting around 40k miles each time.

Superpro, not PU Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #233344816th Apr 2023 11:38 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bmbmdmb

Jamiehol wrote:
Here you go Meyle HD arms at Advanced Factors https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/kit680hd...6313-p.asp

If buying from AF don’t forget to use the discount code.

Thanks, I don't know how I missed them?

I got that discount code saved, but last order I put in with AF I didn't know about discount.

Post #233348316th Apr 2023 4:18 pm
bmbmdmb

Superpro, not PU

I had a quick Google search and Superpro are aftermarket PU bushes, however, website states no increased noise, vibration or harshness which is unlike other PU bushes. Is this what you mean when not PU?

Thanks

Post #233348516th Apr 2023 4:21 pm
Disco_Mikey

PU bushes are a solid Polyurethane bushing

The Superpro bushes are made from a similar material, but designed differently, with voids in the bushing, allowing flex and movement, but without wear
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #233350116th Apr 2023 6:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

Polybush:

Superpro bush:

My D3 Build Thread

Post #233350316th Apr 2023 6:38 pm
Disco_Mikey

Also worth a watch Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #233350416th Apr 2023 6:39 pm
bmbmdmb

I watched that Superpro Vs old Powerflex LR bushes video, thanks

It would be interesting to see how the rubber plastic/ metal sleeved OEM Bushes behaved in that mx5 control arm video? Free movement or resisting torsion. One job of some bushes is to resist torsion/twisting motion to save loading other suspension parts as suddenly. That is why Powerflex say to not put grease around the outer part of the bush to the metal arm part, otherwise you have a pivot not a bush. Of course, that squeaky noise was not good - with the powerflex ones.
Superpro also do metal sleeved PU bushes, (photo) presumably to resist torsion like the rubber ones encased in metal outer sleeve.

I think the last Powerflex bush I fitted had that criss cross pattern inside the barrel tube sleeve for grease retention like the new Superpro. What the Superpro have is the tapered ends and grooves, voids.

I only heard about Superpro in reference to engine mounts on Skoda cars and they were deemed harsh. Things have moved on?

So has anyone else fitted new Superpro bushes all round and can testify to pros and cons? Thanks. The OEM rubber are generally voided too? Surely, even with the Superpro the ride is harsher than OEM rubber. Thanks
[i]

Post #233352116th Apr 2023 9:00 pm
pjm-84

Ukraine 

I have £500 worth of Powerflex bushes ready to go onto my VW T5 next week so I'll let you know how I get on.

All adjustable / black series apart from the front camber ones (just standard black)

Post #233352316th Apr 2023 9:44 pm
bmbmdmb

Ok, let us know.

Post #233445324th Apr 2023 10:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >