Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Putting up with LR cars... when is it time to move on!?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Agreed, Roger Young’s have a good service department but do bear in mind that they installed a mechanical, roll over, car wash about 18 months ago and that’s what happen to my last you car when they last “washed” it Shocked Evil or Very Mad

If you take any pride in your car's paint retaining a gloss finish, you might want to ask them not to put it through that Wink
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Last edited by Red Merle on 13th Aug 2018 5:30 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #197324612th Aug 2018 4:20 pm
Cellerdweller

England 

The D3 i had was not the most reliable thing i have owned. It suffered all the usual problems that are well documented on here Air suspension issues Turbo issues etc and thevlist goes on .I turned it into my hobby as many on here have done also but eventually it wore me down and enough was enough . It was well maintained and wanted for nothing those that know me know what im like with my cars . So i decided to part with it and went the VAG route. I have a 2012 Q7 so old shape .it does everything very well and has not faulted since purchase last Nov . I do miss the split tailgate its not quite as comfortable and its boot space is not as big .However it pulls my caravan effortlessly which is what it had to do more than anything .
Thumbs Up
 You're not afraid of the dark are you ?  
Post #197344313th Aug 2018 7:27 am
HSELR4

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

As the OP, I thought I’d update.

Dealer said they’d sorted the restricted performance issue... on the way home from the dealer it came up again. I had to wait to take it back in - in that time, I got the message again but this time in red with genuine speed restricted; managed to get home. LR assist came and diagnosed another fault, different to the one two weeks previous.

It’s now back in at dealer. This is a two owner / approved used / 3 year old / 40k mile vehicle. I’ve finally had enough and I’m looking at alternatives. If I didn’t use my car for long journeys and travel: I may stomach such a shoddy build quality because of the way it drives. But I can’t trust it to get me across Europe. A friends MY12 D4 makes him feel the same way!

I lost this battle but hope to win the war Sad

Post #19816148th Sep 2018 12:33 am
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Good luck for the future, let us know what vehicle you finally decide on.

Post #19816168th Sep 2018 1:01 am
MrBrain

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I think I might be about to buy a Honda CR-V as a daily drive...

When I looked at a "things to check on a secondhand buy" checklist it said "tyres, shocks"..... I spent some time metaphorically staring at the almost black sheet, and comparing it to the three page D3 list....

I do have a 90, a 110, and am buying a D3 too.

Post #19816248th Sep 2018 7:47 am
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I owned a D3 for 7.5 years had the oil pump changed as a precaution had the egr valves blanked but it was a manual and prone for clutches to wich I had three two under warranty loved it that much upgraded to my D4 it was also a used approved it’s had a couple of issues but mainly due to the incompetence of the dealership I purchased it off but I use a different dealership for the service and have done four trips to Europe with the tin hut trouble free and love it but with all modern cars they all have to many electronics to go wrong But some are more reliable then others I did consider the Hyundai but once I drove the D4 I had to have it just hope she serves me as well as the D3

Post #19816478th Sep 2018 9:46 am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Post #19816608th Sep 2018 10:29 am
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I think I would be well Censored off if my car was at the dealership that long , but just out of interest what is actually up with the car for it to be taking so long to repair?

Post #19816748th Sep 2018 12:43 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

If you have a copy of what I’d written in the post about be (but removed later) via a notification email, May I have a copy to put back up?

Until I know all the facts, I’m reluctant to post what I know so far to avoid starting rumours, but it is safe to say that it throws up an engine management fault, followed a week later by “restricted performance”. I was disappointed when I was originally asked to continue driving for a month, until it was due for its next service, only to be presented with the red triangle of doom only a week later.

3 weeks & no word from LR yet Sad

Last edited by Red Merle on 11th Sep 2018 7:39 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #19816828th Sep 2018 1:10 pm
HSELR4

Another update; because they cannot get the Resricted Performance to show (even though I had it come up and Land Rover assist did NOT wipe the code or any such thing) - they say that as they can not replicate the issue; I’m to have my car back. I go to Europe in three weeks and so once again, I can’t trust the car to make it.

I asked why they need to recreate the issue and message if it’s there in the computer for all to see. They say they cannot get the warranty company to cough up for the part they think it might be; without them being able recreate the problem.

I said I’d had enough of such pathetic build and quality control issues on such a young car and asked them to buy it back from me. They’ve come back with a price and I’m considering it. Would save me me messing around selling it privately. The part they ‘think’ it is is £400. I was so fed up, I didn’t take in what it was. But something related to the turbo; some inlet or servo or something.

Post #198226010th Sep 2018 7:18 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

A cracked/split inlet manifold would be visible.. one would assume. Mr. Green

I guess a video wouldn’t be good enough?

Post #198226110th Sep 2018 7:22 pm
James1974

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4
Re: Putting up with LR cars... when is it time to move on!?

HSELR4 wrote:
I love my D4. Before this; I’ve also had an Evoque and a Disco Sport. My other half has an Evoque and other family members have LR’s ranging from full fat RR to Freelanders etc.

The common thread, unfortunately, is that they’ve all had issues of one sort or another. The worst was my Evoque went into limp mode in the middle of France and LR assist could not locate a hire car for us. So they paid over 1000 euros to get us to our destination on time (can’t fault the service). But when the car was repatriated, it was fixed and then the fault reoccurred. Was nothing major; just a hose cracked and come loose... but I’d lost faith in the car and didn’t want to travel across Europe again in that (something I do a lot).

And now, my D4 seems to be suffering a few niggles. It’s a MY15 and was approved used. 40k miles on clock. I’ve just had the restricted performance flash up. I was actually due to be on my way to France now! But had to delay the trip. This could have happened deep into France - and I’d have had a messy situ on my hands.

I think I’m tired of it all and whilst I love LR products; I’d rather a car that simply gets me to where I’m going without a fuss.

One question I have... if I went for a D5, but the 2 litre engine over the 3... I wonder if it’s less prone to issues?

I had this as well this year going up a mountain in southern france but plugged my iid tool in and cleared it and carried on
My advice to any Land Rover owner is get yourself a iid tool or a fault mate as that saves a lot of hassle I managed to plug mine in and clear the fault without even stopping don’t know what it was but never appeared again
 Disco 3 gone but not forGotten
Welcome disco 4
Flappy paddles working from gap
Heated steering wheel done
Bluetooth iPod connection done
Xeon lights (facelift) done
Afs retrofit done
Logic 7 retrofit done
Armrest fridge
Facelift rear lights
Retrofit High beam assist done
Genuine 22” Range Rover sport alloys
Retrofit acc (gave up not possible)
retrofit tpms done
Retrofit Range Rover lcd digital dash. Done
Retrofit blind spot assist done 

Post #198265611th Sep 2018 10:10 pm
HSELR4

Interesting. Could you link to such a tool; amazon or eBay?

Post #198270511th Sep 2018 11:39 pm
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

HSELR4 wrote:
Another update; because they cannot get the Resricted Performance to show (even though I had it come up and Land Rover assist did NOT wipe the code or any such thing) - they say that as they can not replicate the issue; I’m to have my car back. I go to Europe in three weeks and so once again, I can’t trust the car to make it.

I asked why they need to recreate the issue and message if it’s there in the computer for all to see. They say they cannot get the warranty company to cough up for the part they think it might be; without them being able recreate the problem.

I said I’d had enough of such pathetic build and quality control issues on such a young car and asked them to buy it back from me. They’ve come back with a price and I’m considering it. Would save me me messing around selling it privately. The part they ‘think’ it is is £400. I was so fed up, I didn’t take in what it was. But something related to the turbo; some inlet or servo or something.

Turbo shut off valve? I think they can seize up a bit. There is a procedure on here you could check yourself and free up if it’s stiff.

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #198272412th Sep 2018 7:31 am
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

HSELR4 wrote:
Interesting. Could you link to such a tool; amazon or eBay?

PM to Dan at Duckworthparts, LR dealer and sponsor here.

http://www.disco4.com/forum/privmsg.php?mode=post&u=152

There was a Group Buy, but it's closed now

http://www.disco4.com/forum/gap-iid-blueto...69616.html
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #198273212th Sep 2018 8:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >