Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Pyrenees Autumn 2019
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
A.J.M

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Pyrenees Autumn 2019

Time to get planning for this since it’s been given the green light.

Gf’s parents have a holiday home in Ginestar so the plan is to drive from Glasgow to Portsmouth.
Portsmouth to Santander ferry and do some off roading over the Pyrenees for a few days before going to the holiday home to relax then drive back to Santander and get ferry home.

D3 is pretty well equipped for what’s on it and also what’s in the garage to get fitted.
Split charge kit, 2nd tank and all the other crap I’ve deemed essential Laughing
It’s maintenance is pretty good, it got the body lifted and the parts cannon salvo at it last May for Le Mans trip so bar a service, new tyres and rear upper arms I’m happy with it.

So. Who’s been and what’s good and what to avoid?
Any books to get and read for tracks to take and what to avoid.

Looking for decent scenery and some good tracks that can challenge the car without going full Camel trophy on it.

I’ve seen a few previous trips from people here which I’ve read and watched the YouTube videos of the G4s trips.

Post #20157606th Jan 2019 1:33 pm
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

just check wikiloc.com plenty track there
g

Post #20157796th Jan 2019 2:20 pm
stiff

2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

As well as wikiloc get a book (or books snd string a route together) from Vibraction. In French but not a problem. You will also get gpx files to load waypoints into digital maps with GPS.

Autumn can be wet and cold high up so consider that if camping.

West is fairly low. Central to east is stunning. If you want an idea for a full week’s tour then:

Bossost (start point. Look for the N-230 and you will find it close to the French border)
High routes taking in Espot and stay in that area
Next via Pic de l’Orri and stay at Xalet Basseta (refuge - camping) also called Sant Joan de l’Erm
Into Andorra via one of the smugglers routes - couple of choices. North via Tirvia is good. Another one arriving via Os de Civis is also nice. Recommend camping Xixerella for campsite - rest are not good...and I do not find Andorra a nice place anyway....)
Then head towards Puigcerda via Cerdanya - definitely plan on leaving Andorra by driving up Pic Negre (And I mean drive up...and up....). You double back on your route but it’s worth it. However if cloud is low then I recommend avoiding. Go to Lles de Cerdenya (Bellver/Martinet). Try campsite El Cortal Del Gral as nothing beats waking up to the sun on the Cadi Moixera Thumbs Up
Then you have many route options - towards Barcelona (road, if you want end up there); Keep in the Pyrenees via Gosol; head into a part of France (Sant Laurens de Cerdan)

It depends on how many days you want to be in the area as joining main roads heading north to get you to France on the Journey home can be tricky.

Or you can reverse the above and finish around Bossost (or Arlos in France) as you are then a short link to Toulouse and the autoroutes home.

Have fun Thumbs Up
 MY2008 D3 - It got me hooked...gone
MY2012 D4 - It kept me hooked...gone
MY2007 D3 - Mid-Life crisis toy continues driving me to bankruptcy...
MY2018 "D5" Si6 - But is it a "true" LR...discuss...but now gone
Back in a D4 with a lot of extras.... 

Post #20157856th Jan 2019 2:46 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

‘Twas great trips. ^^^^^^^ Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #20159136th Jan 2019 8:06 pm
XativaDavid

Spain 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

What Stiff said...can´t improve on that. While you´re near Tirvia, go up the Cardós valley and, just for amusement, head for Ginestarre (honestly, it's just spelled differently and is even smaller than Ginestar). From there there is a track that winds up the mountain to Pla de Nequa at 2000m, stunning views and a great place to picnic. Descend back to the same valley making a circuit to Esterri de Cardós (do not confuse with Esterri d'Aneu, one valley further west). The Vallferrera valley is also terrific if you follow it to the end, but there is no way out other than on foot.
If you do go up the smugglers route from Alins via Tor to Andorra, stop in Tor at the "bar" on the left. If you need a hotel for the night in the area, I can´t recommend too highly the Hotel Cardós in Ribera de Cardós. Quirky and fantastic people, family originally from Andorra, been running the place for 75 years so they´ve got the hang of it.
From Baqueira Beret there´s a long track that runs round the mountain via Montgarri to the ridiculously picturesque village of Isil and on to Esterri d´Áneu, well worth it if time permits.
Keep us posted, as some of us may be around there after the Land Rover Party at Les Comes, depending on your timing.

Post #20160207th Jan 2019 7:47 am
Buckster

England 

DSL wrote:
‘Twas great trips. ^^^^^^^ Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

You have reminded me, been told im not allowed to do Pyrenees 2019 and the Land Rover party due to other plans Rolling Eyes so I must start working on that Del! Laughing
 2003 BMW M5- 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 RRS SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expo Rack, 4x Warn Spotlights, Warn 9.5 XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection, Full Easylift Suspension, LightForce HTX 230 Spot Lights, LR Light Guards, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, Brembos Calipers, ARB Fridge, Tuff trek awning.
Visiting from the RR Sport forum: 

Post #20161187th Jan 2019 4:42 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Can’t do the LR party for two reasons. No LR and will be on the other side of the planet then. Thumbs Up

Post #20161347th Jan 2019 5:16 pm
A.J.M

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks for the replies.

Lots to think on and to plan out. I've been told of that land rover show but i think Emma would go mental if i suggested that so i'll file that in the "maybe" section.

I'm going with a possible trip start of Saturday the 28th September, her birthday is the 4th October so if i can be near the home for that weekend it will be alright. Depending on ferry crossing times etc and how long we stay off roading and driving about.

Have an RB5 coming so will use that to help plan routes and have been messaged by a few people as well with regards to it so i'm sure i can come up with a decent route that is interesting without risking the car.

Post #20162577th Jan 2019 11:14 pm
XativaDavid

Spain 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

How's the plan looking? I may be around there also in late Sep/early Oct.

Post #206965919th Jul 2019 10:09 pm
sharkey964

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

We are heading down that area next week,exploring the Val d' Aran & surrounding area,then on down to Sant Marti Sacalam,then to Les Comes for the Land Rover festival at the end of the week.
Hope the weather stays good.
Marc.

Post #208571721st Sep 2019 2:01 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >