Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Question for the D3 V8 fraternity - a US car to the UK?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4
Question for the D3 V8 fraternity - a US car to the UK?

A question for the D3 V8 fans. I have an immaculate D3 V8 with about 90k miles. FLRSH (until I bought it 3 years ago). It's been pampered by me. Done lots to it but no 'upgrades'. Just looked after it really well as I have my previous 6 D3s back at home. I may sell it within the next few months (of course, just after I've replaced the left hub, both lower controls arms and put new ATRs on last week - but all needed doing).

I'm sure it would sell well in the UK but...it's in the US!

It'll sell well enough here too, but I wondered whether any of the forum V8 community would be interested back at home and wondered what people think.

To be quite clear, I'm not trying to get more money; I couldn't careless what the car sells for when it goes, but I really want it to go to someone who'll look after it. It's been brilliant for us. It's a truly fantastic car and I LOVE the engine, but there are a few D4 HSE Lux coming up where I live as their lease ends and I'm tempted to snap one up as I want to stay in the Discovery.

Given how scarce good (non-LPG) V8s are I wondered what people think.

Cost of shipping to the UK is about GBP 1000 or so (I checked).

Thoughts? I suppose I could offer it up, but perhaps there are some UK restrictions on importing the car. (I've imported classics before, but never a modern car).
 PAGODA  
Post #209870410th Nov 2019 12:39 am
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

If it’s a LHD the buyer (in the U.K.) could be inconvenienced by having all access gates to parking, toll roads, etc. on the wrong side of the vehicle. I know someone who imported a RHD a vehicle here and he is constantly b......g about it.

Post #209870510th Nov 2019 12:51 am
Kelvo

Australia 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

It would be worth very little in the UK due to being LHD, plus the cost of fuel. Shipping and selling it in a ‘mainland’ European country would be a better bet. But in all honesty I wouldn’t bother.

I did have a LHD car (BMW E30 M3) as my everyday vehicle for 5-6 years when I was I the UK. It was only every available in LHD (Even when sold via a UK dealer, unless you paid to have it converted to RHD) so was actually worth more in original LHD than in converted RHD. Car parks (Ticket on entry pay on exit) were a bit of a pain when it was only me in the car. Overtaking on lefthand corners was easier as you can look up the inside, overtaking on straights you had to hang back further to get a good view. Other than that LHD wasn’t a massive drawback. Would I have bought a ‘normal’ E30 in LHD? Not a chance.

If yours was an original G4 D3 then yes it would attract good interest in the UK, but as a ‘normal’ D3 IMO its not worth it.
 MY14 TDV6  
Post #209871110th Nov 2019 2:15 am
XDAndy

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Re: Question for the D3 V8 fraternity - a US car to the UK?

pagoda wrote:
A question for the D3 V8 fans. I have an immaculate D3 V8 with about 90k miles. FLRSH (until I bought it 3 years ago). It's been pampered by me. Done lots to it but no 'upgrades'. Just looked after it really well as I have my previous 6 D3s back at home. I may sell it within the next few months (of course, just after I've replaced the left hub, both lower controls arms and put new ATRs on last week - but all needed doing).

It'll sell well enough here too, but I wondered whether any of the forum V8 community would be interested back at home and wondered what people think.

To be quite clear, I'm not trying to get more money; I couldn't careless what the car sells for when it goes, but I really want it to go to someone who'll look after it. It's been brilliant for us. It's a truly fantastic car and I LOVE the engine, but there are a few D4 HSE Lux coming up where I live as their lease ends and I'm tempted to snap one up as I want to stay in the Discovery.

Thoughts? I suppose I could offer it up, but perhaps there are some UK restrictions on importing the car. (I've imported classics before, but never a modern car).

When are you coming back?

I’m literally just about to throw a forum question about where to source a LHD as I’m moving to Gibraltar! Also interested in the idea of a d4 if the market there is beginning to pick up

Andy

Post #209874310th Nov 2019 12:10 pm
SafariDave

United States 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Question for the D3 V8 fraternity - a US car to the UK?

pagoda wrote:

Thoughts? I suppose I could offer it up, but perhaps there are some UK restrictions on importing the car.I

I am looking for a 3rd V8 LR3 in white with black interior for California. Where are you located?
Dave

(I've imported classics before, but never a modern car).
 D3 2005 V8 SE Bonatti Grey "The Rhino" (our NYC D3)
De-tangoed Headlights, D4 2016 Style Black Pack Grille, D4 19" Wheels/ Bridgestone Alenza
D3 2005 V8 SE Bonatti Grey, D4 2016 Style Black Pack Grille (our LA D3)
D2 1999 V8 SD7 Chawton White (our Caribbean Beach truck) 

Post #209879410th Nov 2019 4:14 pm
pagoda

In in New Jersey; Bergen County.

To be clear, I'm in no rush, just asking as the inevitable is dawning. If work is nice to me at Christmas and there's someone who's interested then I'm happy to pass her along (the former being more important than the latter Very Happy ).

My V8 is white exterior and a black interior. Happy to answer any questions, but I want to be clear that I'm in no rush so if anyone is, I wouldn't want to waste their time. My timeframe is a few months, not a few weeks. Here's a pic. There are a couple of others in my gallery, mostly of the car loaded up for camping trips.

Click image to enlarge
 PAGODA  
Post #209892011th Nov 2019 3:32 am
SafariDave

United States 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

That works for me, i don't need it till about March or April.
let's stay in touch
Dave
 D3 2005 V8 SE Bonatti Grey "The Rhino" (our NYC D3)
De-tangoed Headlights, D4 2016 Style Black Pack Grille, D4 19" Wheels/ Bridgestone Alenza
D3 2005 V8 SE Bonatti Grey, D4 2016 Style Black Pack Grille (our LA D3)
D2 1999 V8 SD7 Chawton White (our Caribbean Beach truck) 

Post #209892611th Nov 2019 7:02 am
pagoda

OK Dave. If you're ever in midtown lmk and I'll find you for a beer. I'm in Weehawken in the week but get over to midtown every other day or so.
 PAGODA  
Post #209912612th Nov 2019 4:42 am
thorgal

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

What are you looking for it and how many miles on ? I am also in NJ.

Post #209917712th Nov 2019 12:29 pm
pagoda

It still has 90k on it and I'm not actually looking to sell it at the moment per my comments above. But I'll keep you posted. My question was more about if anyone in the UK would be interested in the car given that V8s are few and far between over there.
 PAGODA  
Post #209947414th Nov 2019 4:18 am
thorgal

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Fair enough, thanks.

Post #209953314th Nov 2019 12:33 pm
Kelvo

Australia 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

pagoda wrote:
My question was more about if anyone in the UK would be interested in the car given that V8s are few and far between over there.

Given the number of replies from UK members compared to the number of replies from US members I’d say you’re better off selling it in the US. UK D3 V8s are few and far between for a reason, add LHD to the mix and it’s appeal drops further.
 MY14 TDV6  
Post #209958814th Nov 2019 3:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >