Question for motorcyclists
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

mark the spark wrote:
.....but the road was there when you bought the house
Shocked

The 40mph limit was there when I bought the house too, but the bikers ignore it!
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #21506511st Jun 2020 9:23 am
Grumpydog

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hardware wrote:
Grunders wrote:
Not all of them are illegal, I have one on mine, it is louder than stock but gives a lovely noise, much like the sports exhaust on a Mercedes C63 or Audi RS models,

And it looks a lot better than the standard

You're not one of the ones on the East Lancs every couple of days are you ?

it's at least 200 yds from me and they're revving the nuts out of them … deffo 2 bikes, deffo racing. going off the revs, I reckon they're red-lining in 2nd on some serious bikes then dropping off for the speed cameras (although some days I don't think they give a sh i t ). So what's that going to be ? above 70 in a 40 zone ?

like I said, 200 yds min and it's loud here. gosh knows what it's like close up.

and - aside from the noise - I don't give a damn. It's what the A580 was made for, isn't it ?

Redline in 2nd on a modern sports bike? Probably nearer 100mph. I had a Suzuki GSXR600 from 2007 and it would do 84mph in first. The rest of the gearing was rather closer in ratios. I think it would hit 130 in third, with a rated top speed of 167. They are way too much for the road if ridden anywhere near their limits.
 2004 Disco 3 HSE TDV6
2015 Audi Q5 S Line plus
2008 Audi A4 Avant S Line Black Edition. Gone
2005 Chrysler Grand Voyger. Gone 

Post #21506631st Jun 2020 9:56 am
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

rrhool wrote:
mark the spark wrote:
.....but the road was there when you bought the house
Shocked

The 40mph limit was there when I bought the house too, but the bikers ignore it!

I feel your pain. Our bungalow in Camber is on the Rye to Lydd run and has a 30mph limit inc one of those signs that show you your speed. Last summer I was mowing front grass and a Kawasaki with obligatory loud pipe showed 80mph as he went past Shocked Now I am a fast car & bike lover, but as with all things there is a time and a place. Cars are equally as bad, WRX with drainpipe exhaust and lives locally is as equally painful on the ears.

Post #21506691st Jun 2020 10:51 am
defector

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

'And as for that CBX when it downshifted i nearly went off in my undies Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing'

After listening to that for the umpteenth time in the last few days, my wife passed me a tissue and asked me to wipe the drool of one side of my mouth Mr. Green

Women just do not understand Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post #21507041st Jun 2020 12:56 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

My original post was of course tongue in cheek but I see a few others have similar problems. Evil or Very Mad

I too love vehicles, engines, a powerful engine tone - But I've been to enough track day volume tests to know what a performance vehicle with a decent exhaust sounds like versus this - The roundabout near us is about 100m away but in the evenings in particular some bikes/riders firing a piercing, crackling exhaust still cause me to instinctively make me put my hands over my ears due to the painful sound level, and have made the girls burst into tears once or twice. I already have a mild tinnitus from years of DJing... From a safety perspective alone some of these extreme pipes need to be removed from bikes driven on the roads, especially if the riders are wanting to ride so hard (like Richard, this is also a 40 limit Rolling Eyes )

Gareth - I'd never heard of this.. a sound based - we need one here!! Would pay for itself in days I'm sure Evil or Very Mad Might suggest it to the local Roads Policing Unit Whistle

Thumbs Up
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #21507071st Jun 2020 1:01 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Isn't it ironic that motorcyclist have the need to wear earplugs?

Confused
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #21507141st Jun 2020 1:28 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Which is nothing to do with exhaust noise as its behind you, that's to do with the wind noise around the helmet.
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #21507441st Jun 2020 3:22 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Speaking from my riding experiences I have to disagree with you there James.
The noise doesn't just start rearward of the exhaust, but do agree it is louder in its wake.
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #21507551st Jun 2020 3:55 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Fair enough, my riding experience is that the exhaust (aftermarket and loud) was never an issue, whereas the wind was Thumbs Up
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #21507731st Jun 2020 4:52 pm
pjm-84

Ukraine 

I use to wear earplugs on long journeys. I was persuaded by the garage to put a Micron race can (non road legal) on my Fireblade (after an accident and as part of the insurance claim). This was way back in 1992 when bikes were muted and exhausts weighed a minimum of twice of what was required. The race can was great in traffic as the horn was rubbish. Used more than once to raise attention

When I got back in biking in 2010, end cans were first on the shopping list. That was until I started the bike up. I couldn't believe how loud it was in standard trim and even more so with the sport mapping selected. I assume being Italian it was just pushing the boundaries of legality.

I then bought a BMW 1200GSA, thought about a nice ti Akrapovic can and again a tad surprised on the legality of the noise. My dogs could hear me riding down a road 200metres away. (I live in town)

Post #21507911st Jun 2020 5:55 pm
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I have always worn earplugs, even when they were just like stuffing cotton wool into your ears. Several years ago I bought a set of made to measure with a db cutout in them. Perfect for use in the helmet and when on a DLT comp Very Happy My old 954 blade had a aftermarket exhaust with a remove-able baffle. It was a touch too loud without it fitted. My current S1000R has a factory Akrapovic fitted and is just about perfect as it's only really loud above 9k

Post #21507971st Jun 2020 6:10 pm
Ken

Loud pipes save lives Whistle

Post #21508071st Jun 2020 6:31 pm
SpiderBaby
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Had opportunity to run about on a CBX back in the 80s - with a 6 into 1 on.

Now that could howl a wee bit but in my defence I was younger and stupider.

Have a Jota in the garage - but my age related deafness makes it seem quiet
 I see no ships........  
Post #21508651st Jun 2020 9:27 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

@JamesW ... start a campaign to re-introduce cobbles. Or failing that, polished manhole covers. Whistle

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #21508972nd Jun 2020 4:10 am
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I can't believe the disparity in noise that comes from stock exhausts let alone aftermarket cans.

I've had brand-new stock bikes that absolutely wail (Aprilia Tuono V4, BMW K1300R), bikes with legal aftermarket 'pipes (KTM990, ZZR1100) that sounded even louder and then also bikes with stock exhausts that you can hardly hear until very high revs (my current Ducati Desert sled is an example).

Back in the late noughties there was a bit of a trade in buying a little plate you pop-riveted to your exhaust that showed it was 'road legal'. MOT's of that time pretty much just looked for that plate and that was it, pass certificate written out.

To now hear 'bikes like Harley's and, particularly, supermoto style 'bikes I often think "how the hell is that road legal?"

I don't think 'bikers help themselves TBH, I can sort of get (and have done it many times myself) cracking the throttle on a clear straight road but even when pootling through small villages to hold the 'bike in too low a gear just to have the over-run pops and crackles of your exhaust, as many do, just marks you out as a w Censored r

Same as full-throttle take-off from the lights, why? A fairly modest bike of 600cc or more will pretty much whip anything from the lights without too much effort so what are they trying to prove Rolling Eyes

I live not far from the A46 in Stratford-upon-Avon and you can hear 'bikes doing full throttle acceleration with quick-shifts through the gears for probably 3-4 miles or more when roads are quiet. For that noise and acceleration they will be doing 140+ mph, easily

Whilst cars and 'bikes are generally being set up to pass drive-by-noise regs these are no different to fuel economy tests, the 'problem' is just elsewhere in the rev range and/or a very nice to have aftermarket can is pushed as part of a deal. The amount of 'performance' cars/bikes that sound like thunder is more the norm than years ago to me, straight from the factory!

Post #21509152nd Jun 2020 7:11 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >