Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

A few questions for those in the know!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Micalee

United Kingdom 
A few questions for those in the know!

I have come onto this forum to do some research as I am keen to buy a Disco 4 (one of the later models (2016)). I have heard many horror stories about reliability and huge running costs and would be keen to get your real life experiences.

1. What are the most common failings and are there warranties that cover these? (I once had a 2012 TDV8 RRS and airbags and EGR valves went, both costly, but both covered on warranty.)

2. What's real time mpg? (I have to be honest, I sold my RRS because of the fuel costs but hoping the SDV6 is better economy).

3. Do these need servicing every year? Are there service plans which make this cheaper?

Really, only thing holding me back is the cost of yearly services (from what I have read) and the thought of forking out thousands on failings that are not covered.

Post #230189028th Jul 2022 11:49 am
Dave T

England 

I had a 2012 and a 2016 D4, both of which returned an average of 28MPG using Fuelly (actual) rather than the lieometer over 40k miles on each. It will of course depend on usage and right foot.

suspension bushes and brakes will be similar to your RRS, a lot of the cost will depend on whether you want to get your hands dirty or not.

You can get actual service costs for a main dealer from the LR website to use as worst case, an indy will be considerably cheaper. Yes they should be serviced annually, its when they are neglected then it will become expensive.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #230189328th Jul 2022 12:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Welcome Micalee

1. Search here for warranties. My opinion is that Warranty Direct is the best offering, but opinions vary.

2. I record the MPG of my D4 very accurately. Over 35.8k miles in my ownership it has done 24.0 MPG

3. Yes you must service annually or more frequently:- https://www.disco4.com/gallery/albums/user...m_MY10.pdf

I, and most others here, would recommend a good "indy" rather than a JLR franchisee. You will save money & probably get better service & advice.

Good luck.

NJSS

Post #230189528th Jul 2022 12:13 pm
Micalee

United Kingdom 

Thank you for your information. So just mpg alone for a daily commute I think will hurt - not sure what my 2012 TDV8 RRS would have been in comparison?

Post #230189928th Jul 2022 12:27 pm
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

A lot of the more experienced folks on here change the oil and filter every six months (doing it themselves), as others have said, a good indy will halve your service costs, and give you a better service than a JLR dealer... they are also probably much more knowledgeable Thumbs Up

Real world your mpg will be pretty similar in both cars but the Disco is so much more practical (ducks for cover!) Laughing
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #230190528th Jul 2022 12:59 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

The lie-o-meter on mine is currently saying avg 22.9 mpg, so probably just over 20mpg in the real world.

That's a combination of short trips in traffic and a few slightly less short "spirited" trips.

On a longer trips I get a real 30mpg and have only once, I think, managed to do a long trip that involved everybody being ready at the agreed leaving time and there not being a critical time to get to our destination. So fair to say the majority were "spirited". Very Happy

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #230191428th Jul 2022 2:05 pm
Pedros

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

1. Common failings are the brake components, which work well usually but it's a heavy beast, so things wear out. The front lower and rear upper arms will need doing at some point too probably. There are examples of crankshafts going (search on here) but how common is debatable. Other than that, like your TDV8, they are complicated beasts, so stuff can go wrong.

2. MPG won't be much better than your TDV8. It might average around 30 on a run, but mid 20s is usual.

3. Yep, service annually as a minimum.

4. Servicing is not cheap, but at a good indie is palatable. Getting a warranty is good, but you might struggle if you are thinking of a 100,000 mile or over car I think to get one. I know LR do service plans from new, but can't help past that.

Working correctly, the Disco4 is a marvellous vehicle, giving style, comfort and performance (relatively) in a package that combines cavernous load space, real comfort for 7 people and unrivalled off road ability. And for that, the running costs are more. All you have to do is decide if that's what you want.

Post #230199028th Jul 2022 9:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >