Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Radio Antenna
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Tony

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Radio Antenna

The radio antenna in the rear window is pretty well useless outside Metro areas in this part of the world, both on AM and FM. Sad

Has anyone fitted an external whip antenna? The radio itself seems quite sensitive , as AM reception is possible over fairly long distances if the car is facing the right way - i.e. the antenna is directional, like a transistor radio. An external whip would overcome this problem.
 Ex Defender 110 200Tdi owner.  
Post #12904110th Feb 2007 7:06 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Do you have the base head unit? The FM reception on mine is lousy, even in metro area (northern beaches, particularly Mona Vale) dealer said it is as good as it gets for a non diversity antenna Evil or Very Mad . Maybe it is possible to make the antenna into diversity antenna using the one on the other window.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #12907110th Feb 2007 12:37 pm
Tony

Hi CaverD3,

Yes, it's the standard item

Unfortunately you need more than an additional antenna for diversity reception, although connecting the other window might give a slight improvement on FM. I have not noticed any problems with FM reception even up here in the hills, but I usually listen to our local FM stations which give good coverage as far as the Murray River.

The real trouble starts when we go bush, with the ABC AM stations disappearing very early in the trip, and of course FM fading out long before. Our Defender, which had a very basic radio indeed but connected to a decent long whip, worked on AM for 200km. North of Adelaide in daylight, compared with the 70km. or so we get with the D3. The window antennas are directional, giving maximum pickup when the car is at right angles to the transmitter and fading to nothing when facing the station. Very handy for a direction finder, but a bit iffy for entertainment.

When time permits, I'll have a poke round to find the antenna cable and try a whip mounted somewhere - being a lazy b*gger I thought someone may have already done the hard work Smile
Post #12912410th Feb 2007 11:46 pm
Swifty

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Guys,

all this talk about getting a signal out in the Bush......its awesome.

But you try getting anything in the middle of Dulverton, Somerset, UK. You defo need to keep moving, or get a whip.

Wink

Rich

Post #12912711th Feb 2007 12:18 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The D2 got 702AM all the way to the Jenolan Arch! The reception on this one is really bad I just wonder if it is only me? Although I can live with the AM signal The FM dropping out for a sec in Sydney metro is annoying.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Last edited by caverD3 on 11th Feb 2007 5:47 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #12914911th Feb 2007 3:19 am
Tony

It does seem that you may have a problem - I would have thought that the signal strength in the metro area would be strong enough to be reliable, although if the transmitter is located a fair distance away, the terraiand tall buildings in Sydney will cause a problem with the less-than-optimum window antenna. Like most of the D3, it's designed for Europe, not for our Wide Brown Land Laughing
Post #12915411th Feb 2007 4:48 am
catweasel

I haven't noticed any problems with mine and can pick up SAFM in Whyalla (although sometimes faint and scratchy) but mainly listen to cd's so don't really know how am goes in the bush.

Post #12915611th Feb 2007 5:11 am
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

The D3 radio reception I am getting is the best I've had in a "non-whip" vehicle. I can now pick up all the Melbourne radio stations, both FM & AM, whereas in the Subaru I would loose signal about 20k's back towards Melbourne.
 Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #12915811th Feb 2007 7:02 am
White Disco

Australia 

caverD3 wrote:
The D2 got 702AM all the way to the Jenolan Arch! The reception on this one is really bad I just wonder if it is only me? Although I can live with the AM signal The FM dropping out for a sec in Sydney metro is annoying.

Mate, it's that Melbourne woman on at 8:30 weekdays that makes your radio loose signal strength on 702.

Hi Virginia, If your looking. Laughing
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #12929212th Feb 2007 3:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >