Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Radio/CD player crashed and locked up
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Radio/CD player crashed and locked up

After a fine weeks holiday interstate I return to my beloved D3 in the garage and take her out for some household duties.

I've been playing MP3's while out shopping and the kid wants me to change the CD to one with Hi5 tunes. I select the CD and the radio display just locks up, stays on and no sound. Man has this D3 got links with Bill Gates Crying or Very sad or what?

After I turn off and restart of the D3 the display stays on and the radio won't do a thing. Not one button works and the display won't turn off Shocked

I lock up the D3 and return about 20 mins later and the display is still on and locked up. A restart of the D3 doesn't do anything.

I look for the fuse that is connected to the radio's power and pull it out and the display goes off Razz . Usually you can turn the radio on without the key but nothing now happens Embarassed . After I stick the key in the ignition all is fine again. All I need to do is reset all of the stations.

The wife is not impressed. How many things can go wrong with my D3.

Chris
(PS At least I didn't need to waste my time at the dealers)
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #6625325th Jun 2006 7:45 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

what data format was the CD compiled in?
It's possible that if it's an unsupported format it could cause a lockup

Post #6625925th Jun 2006 12:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
f6iiv

France 
Re: Radio/CD player crashed and locked up

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem here with my TDV6 SE : the system locks completely when I use the CD player (with all my CD's). All the buttons become inoperant, the radio doesn't stop when I quit the vehicule, and the only way for me is to take the fuse out then everything is back to normal again until I want to play a CD again.

My dealer said that they changed the radio system (not sure they really did it) : same problem appeared again,
then they changed a "controller" : same problem again.
Now they tell me that they will change "again" the radio system...we will see but it is getting very annoying.
Maybe in england they will be more accurate to find a cure to this problem and tell the french how to solve it (I hope so).

Regards,
Marc.

Post #769559th Aug 2006 9:43 am
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I had this problem last summer with my base CD (not the multi CD) player.

Solved by a software upgrade - a known problem, apparently.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #769609th Aug 2006 9:57 am
Jamo

Australia 

Chris,

I could be that the D3 can't stand Hi5 and is refusing to cooperate. Wink

I hope you can get it fixed soon.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #769709th Aug 2006 10:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Jamo,

Nothing wrong with the girls on Hi5. I reckon any honest Aussie guy who has watched their shows watch them to perve on the girls. Some might perve on the guys but each to their own.

By the way the problem has never happened again to me, the radio locking up that is.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #769959th Aug 2006 12:32 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Must be one of those 'one-off' computer glitches then. i had one the other day where the car told me I couldn't have all the gears and it put an 'F' in the gear selector display.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #770009th Aug 2006 12:44 pm
f6iiv

France 

KL wrote:
I had this problem last summer with my base CD (not the multi CD) player.

Solved by a software upgrade - a known problem, apparently.

That's what the dealer said at first and I had several software upgrade but the problem is still present here...

Post #770239th Aug 2006 3:11 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Get them to check TSB LA415-003 Discovery 3/LR3 - Infotainment System Fault Diagnosis Information
"A customer may report a concern of a fault with the infotainment system.

Cause: A number of faults exist, details of the symptoms are tabled in this bulletin. The majority of the faults are software related and can be rectified with a software update, rather than renewing hardware."

Could be a faulty amplifier or corrupted download

Post #770299th Aug 2006 3:40 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

PCH wrote:
Nothing wrong with the girls on Hi5. I reckon any honest Aussie guy who has watched their shows watch them to perve on the girls.

You dont have to Aussie Wink
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #770339th Aug 2006 3:48 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

My base model player had a screen that would disapear for no apparent reason, then reapear when it felt like it. Software failed to fix so they replaced the unit. This fixed the screen issue.
Since enhancement mine has held onto a disk and wouldn't let it out! and one station did not display station name and would sometimes go into scan mode. FM reception was been lousy dealer tweaked reception and improved it, the station name is now back and hasn't done it again but reception is still bad and sounds like it is being played through a smelly sock at times.
When compared to a CD the FM quality is terrible has anyone else noticed this? I would have thought you should not be able to tell unless you have a high quality home Hi-Fi.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #7719510th Aug 2006 12:19 am
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

there is another 'enhancement' coming for ice/sat nav perhaps this will sort your issues?

hoping to hear this week when its due.
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #7720010th Aug 2006 12:34 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Bas model stereo unit with the ICE/SatNav ungrade be relevent. do you know any more details?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #7720110th Aug 2006 12:39 am
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Im not sure to be honest, although it would seem to me that that part of the vehicle would have common design and components with some additions depending on level of car, so I would expect it would include fixes for all vehicles. Certainly the dealer seemed to think it would mean another enhancement programme as opposed to just another fix if you complained.
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #7720410th Aug 2006 2:28 am
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

AFAIK, the base model head unit setup is totally different to the 'hi line and logic 7' setups.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #7723910th Aug 2006 10:30 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >