Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

Radio reception
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
NellyD5

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Radio reception

I have the basic head unit in my D3 but the radio reception is terrible. Keeps losing signal. Drove from Cheltenham to Glasgow today and at points no station could be found or constantly retuning.

Any way the reception can be boosted?

Cheers
Neil
 D3 2005 TDV6 7 Seat Zambezi Silver
Tints
19" HSE Alloys
Clear side repeaters
Xenons
LED Everywhere
3 Flash Indicators and clock on dash
Cruise
Roof Rails
Audi A6 S line Black Edition Daytona Grey 

Post #207513410th Aug 2019 9:07 pm
Trucks

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Just reading your question and may have the answer (possibly)
I will begin:
I fitted a Nextbase camera on my wife's Peugeot 308.
We travel around quite alot and the radio reception was terrible,but unfortunately we did not know what the reception's like before we bought the car.
We put the camera straight into the car the day we bought it, as the camera was supplied by the insurance company and it was statutory to have it fitted at all times so we drove around over a year with a crap radio.
I left it and left it and left it.
I bought my D3 in November and my radio was fine with no problems whatsoever apart from the CD not playing.
Then one day I noticed and was getting frustrated with my D3 radio because all of a sudden the reception was very week would only pick up local signals, and again I left it and left it.
I looked on this forum and found several different scenarios and possible answers for people's poor radio reception and i also did my own research and found more or less the same answers.
I did find the answer to our cars (the Peugeot and my D3) and it's so simple it's unreal.
The camera's,which were hard wired in the Peugeot and the D3 was the cause of the problem.
I only found this out as I was bored and went outside to the Peugeot in the driveway and was trying to figure out why it's has such a bad reception and I was just about to take out the roof aerial, but thought i would check the camera sd card so i took out the usb connector to the camera,and guess what the radio burst into life making me jump and hurt my arm, the reception was perfect,the radio tuned into all channels and some I didn't even know existed, so I thought is that a fluke so I plugged the USB back into the camera and bingo no reception again so I did it again and again and thing kept happening no reception,good reception music to my ears Very Happy Very Happy
I thought it was cable the way it was rooted,maybe to close to the roof aerial cable.I rerouted but it made no difference at all.
I then got the cigarette lighter lead that was supplied with the Nextbase camera inserted it into the cigarette lighter and then the camera, what do you think,yes perfect reception again, so the problem is if you fitted and hard-wired your dash cam this will affect your radio signal.
This was the exactly the same fix on my D3.
Please don't buy those clip on magnets that are supposed to be suppressors that won't work either.
Those of you who have got very poor radio signal and don't have a dash cam I can't help with that but check any other items you may have fitted even Bluetooth or LED lights can cause this problem, as I have found out.
This is the first process you need to eliminate before you go ripping out the headlining and do other bits and pieces which may not help with your radio reception problem.
It was a simple and so pleasing to eliminate.
Yes I did try various live connections but the outcome was the same, once the camera was on the reception vanished or struggled to stay live.

There is a short video on Utube showing the scenario above, that's where I got the information regarding the suppressor.

Post #211714430th Jan 2020 7:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Trucks

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Click image to enlarge

Like ad to my reply my dash cam is a apeman with GPS modual with front and rear cameras so the bad radio reception could be with any make of dash cam.
Two pictures I have enclosed are the hard wire kits I removed feom the peugeot and D3
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #211715930th Jan 2020 7:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NellyD5

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Great write up but I don’t have a dash cam. Bluetooth thingy I can switch off but the reception quality doesn’t change. LED bulbs in the courtesy lights but they off when driving. It’s frustrating Big Cry
 D3 2005 TDV6 7 Seat Zambezi Silver
Tints
19" HSE Alloys
Clear side repeaters
Xenons
LED Everywhere
3 Flash Indicators and clock on dash
Cruise
Roof Rails
Audi A6 S line Black Edition Daytona Grey 

Post #211721730th Jan 2020 9:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top