DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Rain Sensor Wipers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
zebadee

Ireland 
Rain Sensor Wipers – Arrrgghhhh !

The rain sensor is driving me mad…….

Is there any way to disable the rain sensor feature on the SE & revert to regular variable intermittent wipers ??

I know there is a sensitivity adjustment, but really no matter what I do, it’s just not the same as regular intermittent. I’ve been driving along with rain building up on the windscreen, screaming at the wipers to do a sweep, but they don’t. Then if you do up the sensitivity, the wipers just act mental, sweeping too frequently, often with too little rain on the screen. I just can’t find the perfect balance.

So what I now do is leave the wiper stalk in the off position & do the sweeps manually, until I need to switch them into “on” mode. Oh how I yearn for simple variable intermittent, like I had on my TD5.

My friend has a Volvo S40 with rain sensor wipers, but he can turn off the sensor function to have “normal” wipers. The joy of it Very Happy

I know that rain sensing wipers are “an advancement” in technology, but there are times I just like to have things the simple way.

So guys, is there any way to disable the sensor & then use the adjustment ring on the stalk to set the sweep interval, like on a base model ?

Could it be as simple as pulling a fuse to deactivate the sensor, thereby putting the wipers into a default mode of regular intermittent ?

Although, when has life ever been that simple ?

My sanity is a stake here Confused

Post #4384223rd Feb 2006 12:14 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

This might help - I noticed last weekend that if the wipers are switched to the 'on' position, i.e. one above the intermittent, that if the rain subsides, they default to intermittent after a minute or so, obviously, this only works with rain sensor enabled wipers

Post #4384523rd Feb 2006 12:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I would suggest you have fault, because my auto wipers are great. I usually leave them off, until I need them, then switch to the auto position. The auto sensor then takes care of them. They occasionaly go to high speed when I pass a truck for example, and are a little reluctant to return to normal, but they will do eventually, after about 15 seconds.

Post #4384823rd Feb 2006 12:19 pm
SN

Mine work great too - much better than on the C8 MPV I had previously
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4385323rd Feb 2006 12:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

My auto wipers on my RRS was driving me mad. The manual says you can adjust the sensitivity, but that is wrong - the dial simply adjusts the delay of the rear wipe.
Search on the RRS forum for plenty of threads on this topic.

My wipers are much better now. They seem to work fine. I can only imagine they improved after the vehicle went in for some warranty work and got a software upgrade...which also improved the climate control.
 Matt  
Post #4395723rd Feb 2006 7:27 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

mpwox11 wrote:
My wipers are much better now. They seem to work fine. I can only imagine they improved after the vehicle went in for some warranty work and got a software upgrade...which also improved the climate control.

There you are zebadee - another example of why software updates are good Wink In answer to your other thread Smile

I know it should be sorted when you buy the D3 but as you can see many things are fixable, upgradable and can be improved - rather than having to either live with them or have complete parts replaced.

cheers

-s

Post #4396323rd Feb 2006 7:57 pm
zebadee

Ireland 

simon wrote:
mpwox11 wrote:

There you are zebadee - another example of why software updates are good Wink In answer to your other thread Smile

I know it should be sorted when you buy the D3 but as you can see many things are fixable, upgradable and can be improved - rather than having to either live with them or have complete parts replaced.

cheers

-s

Firstly, thank you "mpwox11" it's heartening to hear someone else has been driven mad by those pesky wipers... Very Happy

Yes "simon" I will concede that in this case software updates seem to be a good thing. I'll have to get my "space shuttle" plugged in so & see what happens. Laughing

Post #4408224th Feb 2006 12:06 am
SN

zebadee wrote:
Yes "simon" I will concede that in this case software updates seem to be a good thing. I'll have to get my "space shuttle" plugged in so & see what happens. Laughing
My day job is all about software, and it is a sad fact that, with the exception of the military and nuclear industry, software is not a perfect art! Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4409024th Feb 2006 12:10 am
10forcash

military software is far from perfect - ask QuinetiQ and DERA Rolling Eyes - oh, and me Evil or Very Mad
Had the pleasure of experiencing a C130J 'rebooting' halfway down the runway at Mazar-e Sharif Big Cry

Last edited by 10forcash on 24th Feb 2006 12:14 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #4409324th Feb 2006 12:13 am
SN

(Gulp) Embarassed
Have been sat on a BA 737 at Manchester Airport which 'wouldn't go' until the Pilot announced he was rebooting the plane...

...it went very quiet round the aircraft at that point Shocked
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)  

Last edited by SN on 24th Feb 2006 12:16 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #4409524th Feb 2006 12:14 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

You mean the military and nuclear industry has perfect software? not even NASA can manage that. Now Martin and DISCO3.CO.UK is a different story Wink

Post #4409624th Feb 2006 12:15 am
10forcash

We were halfway through the GTFO phase.... the naughty-boy nationals we had on board weren't too impressed either Wink took the loadie ages to clean up the chicken and rice (with obligatory sweetcorn) out of the freight rails Laughing Laughing

Post #4409924th Feb 2006 12:20 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Boy am I glad I got out of the aircraft industry before it went too high tech. Vulcans and Nimrods I could handle, but it all goes a bit wonky from there.

Post #4410524th Feb 2006 12:28 am
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

I had rain sensing wipers on the C5 I owned before the Disco. They also operated the windows such that if the wipers came on cos it was raining, any open windows would close automatically (does the disco do that?).

Anyway, the windscreen was broken by a rock one day Sad and had to be replaced. Driving home from work a couple of weeks later, it rained for the first time in ages, the windscreen wipers kicked in and suddenly, the drivers window, which was shut (why would you want it open in a climate controlled car?), opened and I got a right soaking Shocked ! This happened on and off for some months before mysteriously correcting itself!

Wonder if Microsoft has a hand in Citroen's software?
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #4412524th Feb 2006 9:22 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >