Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Ran out of fuel but gauge shows 1/4 tank
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
syngress

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3
Ran out of fuel but gauge shows 1/4 tank

So this happened a couple of weeks ago, but only now getting around to troubleshooting the issue.

Driving along the M25 just approaching the Dartford tunnel, when BONG, and the cars goes into limp mode Sad Pull onto the hard shoulder which was pretty scary as the shoulder was very naroow, we had a trailer on the back and a brick wall on the passenger side!!

Turn off the engine and try to restart but it just cranks, we were recovered by the Tunnel recovery people t a safe spot and after some investigation it looked like it was out of Diesel, the gauge was still showing 1/4 with 65miles of range left.

Trundled off to the next garage and got 10litres of diesel, put it in and after letting the pump run for a bit she started with no issues at all Rolling Eyes

Since this has happened I don't let the gauge/range get that low, but any ideas what this could be? Nothing is showing on reading the fault codes, and checking live values I can see volts for both fuel senders (Using a GAP IID Tool)

Cheers.

Post #22908879th May 2022 11:04 am
discobob1980

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Not entirely sure, but could have just been a sticky float on the fuel sender thingy.

I think i may have had similar as mine tended to stay on a quarter and then drop faster.

I think i've run into issues with running it low, with suspected pump issues. Im guessing there was lots of crap in the tank that may have blocked my gauze on the in tank pump.

Id suggest replacing the filter as that might throw you some faults in the future if its dirty and restricting flow.
 2008 Discovery 3 xs 2.7 TDV6  
Post #22908999th May 2022 12:07 pm
OvalAutos

United Kingdom 

You may have a wiring fault in the tank.

Google LTB00566 v6
 Joe  
Post #22909229th May 2022 1:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >