Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Rattle in Rear Door and B-Pillar on MY15 D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
dlw

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alveston RedDiscovery 3

Does everything work in the rear door? LR spend £M's a year on rattles caused by loose cables and tools left in the doors when the cars are built, they are even thinking on some unique ideas to combat the problem which I have been partly involved in. Get your dealer to sort it or get the vehicle replaced.

Post #152913314th Sep 2015 5:24 am
kclr4

United States 
Dealer contact info needed from Roverindc

Hey Roverindc. I have the exact same problem you described. Brand new 2016 LR4. Noise was there when I drove off the lot for the first mile! I found out if I crack the drivers door before driving off that the noise is not there so it is related to pressure on the door latch pulling on the sheet metal causing flex and noise in the b pillar right by my ear. In fact, if I pull on the driver's door latch with vehicle parked and door open, I can recreate the same sheet metal squeak/rattle noise. I expect it is the sheet metal needing additional welding you mentioned. Can you share what dealership or service manager you dealt with? I want to give it to my dealer in Richmond, VA. Thanks!

Post #153174118th Sep 2015 11:55 pm
kclr4

United States 

Thanks for the info Roverindc. Could not reply to your message with a PM since I have not yet had 3 posts. Just joined the forum last night to weigh in on this issue.

Post #153190619th Sep 2015 3:09 pm
Dannyson

England 

Hmmmm .... I'm not sure about this .... I undid my door and pulled for all I was worth on the door latch and couldn't make the noise. I'm beginning to think its not the same issue? - mines more a slight ticking from time to time...... certainly no 'sheet metal squeak/rattle noise'.

I take it US cars are made in the UK and shipped to the US - or are they assembled in the states? - this issue certainly seems more prevalent in the US.
 2016MY Discovery HSE - Black
2009MY Toyota Land Cruiser (Lc4) - Black 

Post #153211619th Sep 2015 10:17 pm
kclr4

United States 

Hey Dannyson,

I probably should not say "squeak" per se but it sounds like metal against metal or metal flexing. It is more of a popping/clicking sound. And even a little more like rattle over a real rough surfaced road. I did figure out today that when my LR4 is parked on my inclined driveway, i can make the noise by pulling on the driver's door latch. I could also make it happen with the window down and the door shut by pulling on the door. That way i could get more leverage. I could not make the noise as easy when parked on flat ground.

The easiest way to make the connection to the door latch and the door pulling on the frame when shut is to crack the door when you hear the noise and see if it stops. That worked on mine every time. On a rough road with the noise, I cracked the door and the noise stopped immediately. Shut the door and the noise starts right away. Noise sounds like it comes from behind the seat belt height adjuster and when i listen really close with my ear to the pillar near the seat belt adjuster, it sounds like what could be popping in the sheet metal or frame.

Post #153214020th Sep 2015 12:39 am
Dannyson

England 

Shocked OK kci4 .... is your driveway inclined up (towards the road or down to the road)..... I will try the open window jobby and heave on the door ..... and also try to remember to open the door when driving when it starts 'clicking' and see what happens..... Rolling Eyes

Seems a bit of a coincidence that MY16 models for the US and some here in the UK are reporting the same problem..... so there must be something in it as it were!! .... a few less 'spot welds' to save a few 'dollars'.... mayhap? Rolling Eyes

So Censored off with these 'little' issues - never had the same when I stuck with the Toyota LandCruiser .... but its a bit like comparing chalk and cheese ... if you get my drift.... the LR is so smooth and quiet (most of the Censored time!!

Post #153214320th Sep 2015 12:56 am
kclr4

United States 

hi Dannyson,

My driveway slopes downhill to a garage/basement. The most noticeable way to check this noise on mine though is on a rough surface road (not just a bumpy road) that makes the car "vibrate" a bit, which seems to really aggravate the popping sound, and then when the noise starts i crack the door. Noise always stops immediately. I even pull the door back partway where the safety latch catches but the door is not completely shut and it is quiet. Shut the door tight and noise starts right back again.

There has to be something in the manufacturing process for these late '15 and early '16 models. It is most annoying on a long trip. I took mine back to the dealer today and just said keep it till you fix it. The LR4 is a great car potentially but I can't love it yet with this aggravation. This is my second trip to the shop. Had a minor wiring issue that took a few days to correct before I ever picked it up. Had it all of 7 days........

I have a 2005 LR3 that i still love. Have had it for 10 years and it still rides and drives like it did when new. Can't part with it until the new one gets right since we need a dog mobile in the family. 2 large dogs to haul around.

Good luck and keep us posted on your efforts. I will do the same. There is something to this issue.

Post #153214820th Sep 2015 2:13 am
kclr4

United States 
Update

Hey folks,

Looks like my b pillar rattle issue has been resolved. The crew at Land Rover Richmond, VA did a great job. They did a couple of things to address potential sources including a replacing a loose clip in the b pillar behind the seat belt height adjuster and replacing the door seal just to be sure it wasn't adding to the noise. The real culprit appears to be the sheet metal seams in the door and b pillar area. Their shop foreman spent some time working the seams in the area and applying a seam sealant that they use for leaks and water proofing. That addressed the flex in the metal in that area and no more noise. 300 miles driven and not one pop/rattle from that area, even over a cobblestone street. Fortunately, it did not require the welding efforts of some other owners, at least not yet. We'll so if this simpler approach has longevity. I am now loving the LR4 again.

Post #153502525th Sep 2015 6:41 pm
Dannyson

England 

Interesting that ..... seam sealant rather than re-welding..... hmmm. My car has gone to a JLR bodyshop for some paint blemishes and the rear roof light to be sorted (glue run scratched off by dealer and looked a mess in the sunlight). The '65 plate (brand new with 800 miles on the clock) courtesy car also has the random clicking from the B pillar (drivers side - R/H drive) - the left hand passenger side (drivers side for US) is quiet - which I find a bit odd as you can imagine - why always the drivers side?

Post #153516825th Sep 2015 10:31 pm
sirlancelot

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
B Pillar Rattle Fixed!

Hi All,

I had the rattle from the moment the car drove out of the dealer, (don't know what was worse the rattle or my wife complaining about the rattle!) I had the vehicle back to the dealer for a full day and at the outset they thought they wouldn't be long. This must have been before Land rover issued the Tech Bulletin, it is a pity LR couldn't advise their dealers there may be an issue they are looking into as it inconvenienced both us and the dealer for a full day.

I was contacted by the dealer around the release of the bulletin date and they had the car for 2 days for welding and repainting and now no more rattle. The dealer supplied great service and supplied a loan car (Bellbowrie Motors Coffs Harbour) as we are over 2 hours from the dealer they drove 70% of the way to exchange cars. Very Happy

Post #157896517th Dec 2015 3:39 am
Dannyson

England 

Good to hear - and whilst mine went back again to the bodyshop for them to paint repair the correct door this time! Rolling Eyes - I forwarded the TSB to the dealer who told the bodyshop and they have allegedly fixed it ..... no rattles at the moment.....

Post #157905217th Dec 2015 11:21 am
hau

United States 2015 LR4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueLR4

Was wondering if anyone has a copy of this TSB (TSB LTB00872)? I would like to read it and see what it has to say. Thanks.

Post #157945318th Dec 2015 4:12 am
sirlancelot

Copy of Tech Bulletin

Hi,
I can see the release date and the number and topic on "Land rover Topix" website but they want 12 British pound to download. If you quote the number to a dealer they will have access to this system and will be able to view.

Regards Alan

Post #157945418th Dec 2015 4:57 am
Ali420

Rattle sound

I have bought 2015 discovery 4 HSE from Brisbane and can hear the same sort of sound from both pillars. It's not very loud but irritating Alan Bow down can you please provide some further details how they fixed you issue? I am not happy to hear that it requires some repaint work. I must say that this post is very useful for me
Cheers

Last edited by Ali420 on 14th Mar 2016 11:02 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #162493914th Mar 2016 7:41 am
sirlancelot

Hi,
The your Land Rover dealer should know about the technical bulletin released by LR UK. Quote the TSB noted in other posts, the repainting is under the trim on the B pillar so you wouldn't see any repainting. I haven't heard about rattles in both pillars though.

The rattle in mine returned again and then disappears if the vehicle goes on a winding road, it then returns after a while and can be quite loud, sounds like a Geiger counter ticking away. So it is back to the drawing board for LR Australia, it has been 3 weeks now and haven't heard anything back.

Post #162500214th Mar 2016 10:33 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >