Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Rattle in Rear Door and B-Pillar on MY15 D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
hau

United States 2015 LR4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueLR4
Rattle in Rear Door and B-Pillar on MY15 D4

I have a 2015 D4 (Left-Hand Drive) with some annoying rattles in the rear door and in the B-Pillar. I love the truck but the rattles are ruining the experience.

The door rattle sounds like a wire rattling against a metal panel. I have driven the car with the rear door panel off and it still rattles. I have removed the speaker that is attached to the metal part of the door and reached my hand in there. I don't feel anything loose. However, it seems that a cable related to the power window may be vibrating against the metal door. I am not sure if this is the cause of the rattles. Is it difficult to remove the rear window motor? Any idea what would cause the cable to be so close to the metal part of the door? Any suggestions as what else could be causing a rattle in the door?

As for the rattle in the B-Pillar, it seems to be up above the seatbelt adjuster at about ear level or slightly higher. Sounds like a wire or something loose rattling against something else. Pushing on the seatbelt adjuster and B-Pillar Trim does not stop the rattle. There does not seem to be anything else in that area to cause it. I was wondering if there is any wiring or drain tubes, etc... that may run in the hollow area of the B-Pillar. I know there is some wiring down low that runs about 6 inches up the bottom of the b-pillar and goes into the rear door through a rubber seal. However, this rattle is much higher up. I think I read somewhere that there may be a rear sunroof drain inside the hollow B-Pillar but I have had the trim panel off and can't really see in there. Is there any way to get access to see if the sunroof tubes are loose?

The dealership has been unable to find it. I figured I should find it for them or just fix it myself if possible.

Thanks for the help.

Post #150603824th Jul 2015 4:22 am
trevorb1

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

Hau, cant help with rear door rattle, but I did have a rattle inside the b pillar, not there when coldish temperatures, but noticeable after been left all day in the sun and the trim expanded. I found that the height adjuster was rattling, it was the white plastic hoop that that was rattling about, put small piece of foam on top of botom stop to give it a bit of resistance, seems to have worked so far.

Post #150612524th Jul 2015 9:28 am
hau

Thanks for the tip. I saw the white plastic hoop you were talking about. I had checked that earlier as it seemed to be a good candidate for a rattle. I have driven the truck without the b-pillar trim and rear door panel on and have held onto the seatbelt retractor, including the white plastic hoop. That didn't work. I removed the rear speaker so I can reach my hand inside the rear door. What I have done that seems to have temporarily fixed the rattle was to wedge a hand towel between the rear door and the body. This seems to cause some outward pressure on the door, which stops the rattle at least for now. So it seems that the rattle is coming from the rear door but cant figure out where. I am thinking maybe the black vertical exterior trim on the rear door.

Post #150838929th Jul 2015 2:30 am
Landy4

United States 2015 LR4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyLR4

i have a 2015 lr4 and also had a rattle in the b-pillar. the dealership drove my car and found it. they said they pulled off the B-pillar, the trim and found loose clip. whatever a loose clip means and they pushed it back in and that was it. it seemed to work. a week later I had the rattle again but much softer in the same area (ie right next to my ear when driving!) I was so annoyed. I then went to work and when i came back it was gone! so odd. no idea what happened. no rattle as of right now.

i also agree that its a great truck but little things like this are ruining the new buyer experience.
 2015 LR4 HSE  
Post #15105483rd Aug 2015 1:00 am
hau

I currently have a towel wedged between the rear door and body and it seems to have stopped it for now. I thought the dealer got it fixed recently because it didn't rattle for about a day when I got it back. I started the truck up the next day and the rattle is back. The dealer focused mainly around the b-pillar. I will bring it back and have them focus on the rear door since the towel stops the rattle (I hope) when it's wedged between the rear door and the body. It seems to apply just the right amount of outward pressure on the door that stops the rattle.

Post #15118666th Aug 2015 3:30 am
roverindc

2015 LR4 B Pillar Rattle

Purchased a new 2015 LR4 in July 2015. The LR4 was built in May 2015.

Since driving off the dealer lot there has been a metallic rattle or clicking that seems to come from the driver's side B Pillar area - behind the seat belt adjustor - at ear level. The dealer looked at and has replaced all of the parts in the B Pillar area - seat belt adjustor and the part behind it. The LR4 has been in the shop for 8 days since delivery.

Regardless, the metallic clicking persists. The noise is loud enough and persistent enough to make driving the vehicle disheartening. Moreover, it is somewhat embarrassing to drive folks in a brand new Land Rover that sounds like it's coming apart.

The dealer believes that there is an issue with the vehicles sheet metal that is causing the noise. They are trying to work with Land Rover USA to find a fix.

Has anyone else had any success in diagnosing this issue and a fix? I have seen posts in the new Discovery Sport message boards about a similar complaint that is due to bad welds at the B Pillar. Is this the same issue?

Post #151777420th Aug 2015 3:21 am
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Take it into your dealer - it must still be under warranty.
I got mine to fix a nasty cricking noise in the dash a fortnight before the warranty expired.
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #151815020th Aug 2015 11:53 pm
hau

roverindc,

I have my my2015 LR4 scheduled at the dealer for the 4th time to get the same rattle you are describing fixed. I would swear its from the B-Pillar but the dealer spent a good amount of time on the b-pillar area and it didn't get fixed. When I wedge a towel between the rear door and the body, it seems to work 95% of the time. If I pop the door open a little while driving (the security latch still is holding the door from swinging open- I pop it just enough for the interior lights to illuminate), it also stops rattling. Of course I don't drive it with the door popped but it helped me attempt to narrow down the area. The folded towel allows me to keep the door closed while driving so I don't hear the rattle. Maybe it is keeping the door isolated from normal body vibrations that cause the rattle. It is very bizarre because it sounds like its coming from the b-pillar right at ear level. It may be possible that the noise is coming from the rear door and travelling through and up the b-pillar making it seem like that is where it is originating from. Without the towel, it is a constant rattle almost all the time.

Post #151854522nd Aug 2015 5:36 am
DDDad

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I don't for one minute think this will explain all your rattles, guys, but when I hear a rattle in my offside ear when driving, the first thing I check is whether the rear seat belt has retracted properly or is rattling against the trim. You'd be amazed how often it is, whichever car I'm driving. Rolling Eyes Good hunting! Thumbs Up
 Went for a job as a human cannonball. Not the right calibre.  
Post #151870022nd Aug 2015 3:42 pm
roverindc

Hau,

My 2015 LR4 was in the shop for 2 weeks. The good news is that the fix found by the dealer has seemed to work. I have had the truck back for 5 days and the rattle/ticking in the B Pillar is gone. The fix was repaired per a Land Rover Bulletin and was quite extensive as it did involve 6 welds in the sheet metal panels. The dealer did a good job as there is no complaint on the interior quality after the fix. I am now able to actually enjoy the new car. This is my fourth Land Rover product and I have never had such a problem with any of them until now. My dealer really went to great lengths to solve this issue for me. Good luck with your LR4, I hope that you can get it fixed as well!

Post #15268109th Sep 2015 4:14 pm
Dannyson

England 

Shocked I take it the b pillar rattle on these vehicles was on the drivers nearside .... being left hand drive? I have an intermittent clicking (which JLR allege they cannot hear) on the offside ..... today it didn't do it? Its not a metallic click as such - more a plastic ticking....... JLR have had the pillar off (so they say) and there is nothing obvious - which is worrying! Anyway - at the moment I'm living with this intermittent annoying ticking - but no one else can hear it so I'm hoping its not as dramatic as 'roverindc' .... but it does make me wonder about 'quality control/assurance' or whatever they call it nowadays ... just look at my posts and you will see what I mean about my MY16 HSE! Shocked
 2016MY Discovery HSE - Black
2009MY Toyota Land Cruiser (Lc4) - Black 

Post #152752710th Sep 2015 11:26 pm
Wilco44

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Hau,

You should check out the Discovery Sport Forum as the new DS has had similar issue with B Pillar rattle and LR have a fix involving new welding to the panel as Roverindc says.

http://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1494
 Firm not hard  
Post #152759411th Sep 2015 8:40 am
hau

roverindc wrote:
Hau,

My 2015 LR4 was in the shop for 2 weeks. The good news is that the fix found by the dealer has seemed to work. I have had the truck back for 5 days and the rattle/ticking in the B Pillar is gone. The fix was repaired per a Land Rover Bulletin and was quite extensive as it did involve 6 welds in the sheet metal panels. The dealer did a good job as there is no complaint on the interior quality after the fix. I am now able to actually enjoy the new car. This is my fourth Land Rover product and I have never had such a problem with any of them until now. My dealer really went to great lengths to solve this issue for me. Good luck with your LR4, I hope that you can get it fixed as well!

roverindc, I sent you a private message.

Post #152906513th Sep 2015 9:35 pm
roverindc

Hau,

I tried to respond via the PM, but may not be able to do so yet as I have a limited number of posts. Let me know if you did not receive the PM reply.

Thanks.

Post #152912314th Sep 2015 12:32 am
hau

Roverindc,

Thanks so much for the message. I did get it. I was just wondering if you know which area the welding was done to? Was it the front door or rear door or the body somewhere? Thanks. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it acts up when I bring it in tomorrow for a test drive with the service manager. It was rattling all day today. Then, this evening, I took the truck out and it was 95% fine. There is no rhyme or reason why it sometimes doesn't rattle. But when it gets going it is horrible. I can kind of tell a lot of times when I am going to have an issue with it because it will give me a slight rattle when I start the car in the b-pillar or rear door area. If it rattles when I start the car, I know it is going to rattle when I drive it. I am glad that they have got yours fixed!

Post #152913214th Sep 2015 4:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >