Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Re: Re Diff Lock Fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Adrian L

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Re: Re Diff Lock Fault

I am getting a Transmission fault (originally) since I updated the software I am getting Transmission Fault Traction Reduced on my display.

It appears that my rear diff lock is the cause of this. The stealer says its failing its calibration test on startup, but is working.

The 4x4 module indicates it is always unlocked even when I think it should lock. Rolling Eyes

The fault log sys this fault is a critical fault and has been active since 0km Question

Any ideas on what I can check? is it repairable? Do I need to replace the whole diff? Just the motor? What?
 ï¿½I will go anywhere, as long as it be forward.� David Livingstone  
Post #69317015th Sep 2010 2:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
top-tech

United Kingdom 

is it really working?
can you carry out a calibration procedure on the rear diff motor? if you cannot complete this procedure i would suspect that the rear diff locking motor has seized?to check it just simply removed the motor from the top of the rear diff/axle housing and inspect the gear. the gear should be able to be moved by rolling the palm of your hand and you should have a slight resistance,if it is really stiff then the motor needs to be changed and calibrated. 8)

Post #69439019th Sep 2010 12:54 am
Adrian L

Thanks Top-Tech

How would I go about carrying out the calibration test?

Any pics on removing the motor?
Post #69481620th Sep 2010 12:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If it has been doing t from 0km I would get them to replace the diff under warranty. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #69482420th Sep 2010 12:24 pm
Adrian L

Got the car outside of warranty. Not sure I can throw it back at them now.
Post #69482920th Sep 2010 12:34 pm
caverD3

They have just admitted to you the fault has been there since 0KM. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #69483220th Sep 2010 12:38 pm
Adrian L

Ha Ha. Censored Land Rover would never admit such a thing. All they told me was it wasnt calibrating and needed replacing. A Privateer with a fault mate ran the diagnostics and thats the report that came back.

Already had the argument about the brake booster failure not being covered under the recall as my VIN number was 300 outside the recall numbers. Big Cry

Don't have the motivation to start fighting with them again.
Post #69483920th Sep 2010 12:54 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Quite a few of the ECUs do not actually log the km/mileage when the fault occurred - in this case the software simply returns a 0 km/miles reading.

I've seen this with several ECUs using my Faultmate - some ECUs store and report it correctly, others don't (but I can't remember which ones do and which ones don't.... Embarassed )

This is probably why the rear e-diff is showing a 0km fault as most cars would probably have had the fault codes reset at least during each service/recall - the actual fault could have occurred at any time since the last reset.

From this post, Adrian's D3 is a 2005 so it would be almost impossible to still have genuine 0km fault codes logged and anyway, it would also be pretty unusual to generate a fault code within the first 1000m of starting the D3 and still have it logged after 5 years Idea
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #69484120th Sep 2010 12:56 pm
Adrian L

Paul. Good point.

Although even after having the main ECU replaced and reprogrammed I still had 19 faults logged when I went to see Anthony to use his fault mate. Some of them predated the ECU replacment, so seems as though Land Rover doesnt reset as a matter of course

Reset all faults, the Diff fault refused to reset as it was logging itself as a critical fault and hence unable to reset.

The Suspension fault returned after the reset as that is still active, but at least it allowed us to reset it.
Post #69484620th Sep 2010 1:00 pm
caverD3

Thanks Paul and Adrian, now it makes sense.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #69490920th Sep 2010 4:00 pm
top-tech

United Kingdom 

the calibration test has to be done using a diagnostic computer such as SDD?or even the old system of IDS. removal of the rear diff motor is easy- 4x10 mm bolts and 1 electrical connector and the motor can be removed from the diff and lowered from the top of the diff down through the front left of the prop shaft.if the motor is free and not seized refit the motor with silicon sealer (stc50550) and get the motor calibrated.
As for your question for the brake booster recall, although it was outside the vin range there have been cars that landrover have repaired under warrenty, i suggest you phone landrover customer care and not the dealer? dont try it you wont gain anything?

Post #69538921st Sep 2010 5:10 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

there is a TSB for the calibration software - dont know if it will sort your problem out :

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic27612.h...iff+%2Btsb
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #69539421st Sep 2010 5:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: