Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Ready to cry
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
DiscoJeffster

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I feel for you, really do. Stuff of nightmares. The worry os it’s good money after bad with no end in sight.
We don’t know how long it’s had low oil pressure, how much damage has been caused by it etc.
So, no telltale knocking of a bad connecting rod bearing, but less easy to hear a main failure I believe.
Hmm. Gutted man. This sucks.

Post #199953511th Nov 2018 1:46 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

braders wrote:
Yes, been thinking about it and its unlikely to be the strainer. I was looking for an oil flow diagram for the engine just to help me understand where the issue may be but cant seem to find anything. ill pull the lower sump pan first and have a look and take it from there. Worse case is its the main bearings gone and not creating enough back pressure, although engine does not rattle etc.. I am toying with the idea of dropping the sump completely and taking off the main bearing caps to have a look at the shells and see what they are like. I could possibly replace the mains and little ends from uner the car as I have it in bits. Appreciate i wont be dropping the crank for a regrind but if i am lucky and pop new shells in I may just get away with it. doesnt solve the silicone particle issue though and if ports blocked they will wear again.

Many moons ago I had to rebuild a CB750 due to low oil pressure caused by excessive amounts of silicone almost totally blocking the oil pick up gauze, Iirc the gauze was approx 3 inches diameter and the remaining clear hole was less than 1/2 and inch.
There was excess silicone oozing out of every casing joint!

Post #199953811th Nov 2018 2:28 am
DiscoJeffster

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I guess never say never is the story from that. It does sound like it would be worth pulling off the bottom sump to check the state of the strainer.

Post #199954011th Nov 2018 2:42 am
philm

England 

How would these bits get through the strainer then the oil filter into the oil ways?
 L633 Defender
Range Rover Velar-gone
Discovery 4 Landmark-gone
Gap IID Tool 

Post #199955511th Nov 2018 9:59 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Yeah the strainer is big.

Were the long 8mm bolts going into the underside of the oil pump tight?

There is an oil flow diagram in the Citroen manual.
You will need to find this manual on internet as it has the torque figures in it for bottom end.

Filename is

citreon en_us_c6_2005.pdf
Follow instructions for engine DT17BTED4 (as the manual also covers a petrol engine)

http://service.citroen.com/dtt/CDP/donnees...6_2005.pdf

To convert M.daN to Nm I believe you multiply by 10.

Last edited by Pete K on 16th Nov 2018 12:36 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #199955711th Nov 2018 10:00 am
hillbillypop

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

braders wrote:
many thanks for the advice, and no i would not sell it on its not in my nature to con people TBH, i will be contacting the guy who sold me it though as he is a part time dealer and just give him some grief.

i really like the D3 and purchased it as my mate has had one for many years with no real issues so always fancied one and this one fitted the bill perfectly and its in really good condition (oil pressure aside)

I think I will probably start with a new pump and see what happens as there is a chance it has a dodgy pressure relief valve in it. I may see if i can get it done as, whilst i have reasonable knowlege and OK with a spanner, I dont want to mess up the cam timing when I drop the belt.
If it does not fix the issue i may be looking at an engine rebuild maybe, as its likely to need shells etc. but at least ill have a new pump.
Ill borrow pressure gauge first and just see what is says but doubt if its the switch as this would have been a easy fix by the previous owner etc. who, looking at the histiory had everything fixed at a garage.
A tip when doing a timming belt get a stanley knive and cut halfway in all round remove that peice then fit new belt pushed up tight to old belt carefully cut off remaining old belt now push new belt further in . new belt fitted no pining no top dead centre no messing with cams. when fitting new tensioner cable tie bracket remove old tensioner fit new tensioner cut cable tie job done.

Post #199970811th Nov 2018 10:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pete K

I bet no one did that in the disco.

An absolute pain cutting all the way round belt on these trucks.

Locking tools are cheap and it’s quick to do.

Post #199972512th Nov 2018 12:11 am
hillbillypop

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

courtesy of Fuzz Townsend.

Post #199973012th Nov 2018 12:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
braders

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

So a little bit of an update, spent a couple of hours each eve this week taking more bits off....you do get a lot of car for your money !! Laughing Laughing

Took of the lower sump and had a good look in, there were quite few bits of silicone and a few bits of burnt carbon in there but strainer is clean so no wories about bits of silicone being drawn up and blocking oilways. theres a little sludge in the bottom of the sump but its suprisingly clean However.....on close inspection there are some tiny (smaller than glitter) metal particles and they look suspiciously like tiny bits of main or big end bearing...I have popped a couple of pics below and you can just about make them out (visible in last pic). When you dab them up and rub between your fingers you can hardly feel them they are that small.

So, decided to strip out the sump extension....what a pain that is, propshaft off, gearbox cross member off etc etc...not too bad if you have a four post lift or a pit...but on your back wow...what a work out. Just about every bolt is a sod to get to....you certainly need buckets of patience. Still I am doing a bit at a time and enjoying it Wink Laughing
My plan is to get the sump extension off and crack the mains and big ends and see what I discover. Big hope is shells are worn but crank is OK, worse case crank is worn so will have to drop gearbox and move back so that I can then get flywheel off to get to rear crank seal and drop crank out completely for a re grind....so...the saga continues. If i can get sump extension of tomorrow night and crack a couple of bearings ill file another report.
Right, im off for a quick rum and coke. Thumbs Up

Post #200103315th Nov 2018 11:57 pm
Pete K

Thanks for the update Thumbs Up Glad your are enjoying it.

Post #200112216th Nov 2018 12:35 pm
Flapper

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

wow !!!! what did the dealer say?

Post #200113916th Nov 2018 1:26 pm
nthor

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

think of it as dating your ride, you will learn to love her

Post #200124416th Nov 2018 8:44 pm
braders

I do love her.. Whistle we are having a great time together.....
current status is.... I have managed to undo everything and drop the sump extension and now need to get it out...I have to take the starter off completely next, i had dropped it to get the flywheel locking pin in but did not remove it completely so...tomorrow evenings job is pull the starter out and then try to wriggle the sumpm extension out.... we can then have the big mains and big end reveal....how exciting Very Happy Very Happy

Am speaking to previous owner and dealer, not posting too much about that at the moment but will update when i have something concluded. Thumbs Up

Post #200131216th Nov 2018 11:46 pm
Disco neil

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Sounds like you know what your doing with working on this but private seller or trader there was still an option to take this car back and get your money back, even more so if it’s a trade seller. It’s probably too late to say as you’ve messed about too much with the car but how come you didn’t just take the car back?

Post #200132017th Nov 2018 1:12 am
braders

Hi, yes could have taken the car back but TBH its in really good condition, no rust or rot underneath and I like the colour its a HSE so really wanted to keep it. Before i found the oild pressure switch disconnected I had the roof re painted and changed the front wishbones as well so had spend some money getting it how I wanted it. I am going to challenge the guy I bought it from and quite happy to go to court if it comes to it.

Post #200155018th Nov 2018 1:13 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >