Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Do you really need winter tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jolly Jumper

2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Do you really need winter tyres

Will soon take delivery of a new Discovery. We do not have much snow here, but I am thinking about winter tyres. Is the Discovery well suited to winter conditions on summer tyres? I could imagine once it gets sliding it will slide longer and wider than most because of the weight. Does the Disco need winter tyres more than other cars? Any opinions?

Cheers
Jolly

Post #38931517th Dec 2008 2:50 pm
luciogodoy

Brazil 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Jolly Jumper;

I drove to the Alps last year and where people were failing to start or stop, i was fine (without snow chains), I had Pirelli Scorpions, if you have the luxury to purchase winter tyres, i would, for the safety side of things.

The main diference between a normal tyre and a snow tyre (AFAIK) the snow tyre has deeper grooves and more sharp edges than the normal tyres to cut in to the snow.

Andy from AJS 4x4 site sponsor should be able to help you, give him a ring.

Regards

Lucio
 I'm riding a R1250GSA Triple Back
Previous love: Disco 3 HSE MY07, D4 heated Steering/W, D4 rear cluster, D4 extended roof rack, D4 grille & air grille, D4 rear bumper, colour coded arches + front bumper, side-steps, Webasto timer/ remote control, De-Tangoed Xenon headlights + HID, LEDs all around, reverse CAM (RR hack) + brightness, DLR LEDs, 3-click indicator, SatNav on the move, EGR's done, front/rear antiroll bar Polybush, gearbox pan/filter + oil mega-flush. 

Post #38933217th Dec 2008 3:44 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Before you go for winter tyres - check what tyres the D3 comes with and you may fine that already are suitable i.e. have an M+S marking. All depends on what's fitted at the time.
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #38933717th Dec 2008 3:53 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

have been living in the alps for over 10 years and have always used winter tyres, they are not just for snow, they are for generally lower temperatures, so they heat up quicker etc etc.

you can get snow oriented winter tyres and more wet weather oriented tyres... it always amazes me that no one uses them in this country.

FYI it is now LAW in austria for ALL cars to have winter tyres from dec 1st. even if you are a foreigner driving through they will stop you and fine you for wrong tyres... friendly warning.

Post #38935417th Dec 2008 5:08 pm
ad15

forgot to mention in last post, last winter did some pretty heavy snow driving in ds with standard tyres on an was pretty inpressed, although the traction control was working over time

Post #38935617th Dec 2008 5:15 pm
Ian62

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Just for info but here in Germany it is not law that you must use/have winter tyres, although they say you must use tyres that suit the conditions Whistle so work that one out Thumbs Up

MrH; M+S does not mean they are fit for snow, they are only deemed fit for snow if they also have a small snow flake in a triangle located next to it. So if you have that your ready to rumble Thumbs Up

Jolly Jumper; Heading towards my second year with my D3 in snow and we had no problems what-so-ever last year on our normal road tyres and we went skiing nearly every weekend. Thumbs Up

Must admit though I am thinking getting hold of a set of snow chains, just in case.
 Stadt Panzer Power  
Post #38935917th Dec 2008 5:26 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Sorry forgot to mention the snowflake symbol, I was aware of it Embarassed Thank Ian Thumbs Up
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #38936617th Dec 2008 5:49 pm
garyr

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I would absolutely get Winter Tyres. I have gone for Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extremes.
I agree that even in the UK they have been superb! We have had some cold snaps recently and on country lanes I am driving normally and everybody else is going 10mph!!

I am very surprised the UK market hasn't caught on to them and I will certainly change mine over each year.

If I was on the continent there is no way I would be driving without them. I am driving to Slovakia at weekend so Im well prepared.

By the way as already mentioned its not just snow that is the issue. It is ice and temperature.

Hope that helps!! Thumbs Up
 56 Tonga Green HSE.  
Post #38942917th Dec 2008 8:01 pm
ad15

they also feel better in the wet, more so than any other tyre i have ever used..

Post #38945117th Dec 2008 8:53 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extremes

Must say I didn't know that Vredestein even did a tyre this size let alone a winter tyre....

In the former life that I used Volvo's in Ireland (North & South) Vredestiens were a life saver for me.....I also found that as a make they had a long life unlike a set of Gislaved winter tyres (that Volvo gave me)

Transforming a very capable car (Rear Wheel drive 240's are superb in bad snowy, Icey bad weather).....Ireland presents plenty of this with the majority of the roads in rural districts un-salted & un-gritted.
The standard of driving of the majority there is just awesome....everybody just copes with the situation - quite unlike here in the UK where 1/2" of snow & the place comes to a standstil

Now I know that Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extremes are available I will be going that way for the impending 1st tyre change...
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #38947017th Dec 2008 9:22 pm
NJF

My summer tyres are General Grabber AT2, which say "M&S". I discussed this with AJS a while ago, including how the AT2 is better suited to wet and snow conditions than my previous tyres, which were Scorpion Zero. If I visited Europe briefly and only once a year, I'd probably stick with the AT2s and drive like a granny when it's very cold.

But, I live in a part of Europe that can get very cold and I'm not yet a granny (not likely, either, since I'm a bloke with no plans to be anything else). My winter tyres are Scorpion Snow+Ice. The tread is nowhere near as aggressive as AT2, but it's chunky enough and it contains more sipes, which help grip (a bit like deck shows). Also, it's well suited to low temperature use, which suits me when the temperature is below zero.

See here for pictures of the AT2 and Scorpion Snow+Ice tread:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic.jsp?s...abber+AT+2

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic.jsp?s...e+%26+Snow

This link provides a quick intro the the topic: http://www.tyres-online.co.uk/techinfo/winter.asp

Post #38952217th Dec 2008 10:40 pm
ad15

well put bffarrar... having lived in the mountains for years it never ceases to amaze me that we could get a couple of feet of snow and life would just carry on as usual, yet when back in the uk if the temp drops to anywhere near 0' or anything vaguely resembling white was around the common british drivers ability or lack of goes completely out the window.

last winter i happily drove a 2 FWD VW transporter for 30 miles on the autobahn in nearly a foot of fresh without incident. no other cars piled up on the side of the road, everyone jsut going about their business, it was very early in the morning too so no plows or gritters.

yet only 10 days ago driving from cornwall to bristol we hit a bit of a hail storm, in the space of 10 mins and 2 miles there were no less than 6 cars crashed and 2 cars went past me at over 100mph.......

Post #38955317th Dec 2008 11:28 pm
Duncster

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I think the difference is snow offers more traction than ice - you are just not going to get any traction in ice unless you have studs or chains.

I have to say the roads over the last week are worse than I have ever seen them, I think the temprature has been hovering at freezing and this can build up quite a lot of ice on untreated roads.

The problem in the UK is we dont have extremes
 15 3.0 RRS HSE - Silver
05 2.7TDV6 S AUTO Silver - Retro-fitted Leather. 

Post #38956517th Dec 2008 11:37 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

lafona00 posted a Michelin website (in French).

Here is a translation...

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...20snow.doc

Sounds like a good plan...
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #38957817th Dec 2008 11:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

How do snow tyres compare with MTRs, esp on ice??? I know the Crosier peeps use MTRs and can just leave my MTRs on but I have a set of 18"ers doing nowt that I could put proper winters on, Unfortunately I live on a slight slope that the council do not ever grit, getting out can be a bit hairy (down hill), getting back can be even more interesting.

Post #3980407th Jan 2009 2:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >