DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

rear aux input
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
nebc100

Luxembourg 
rear aux input

Hello All,

I while ago i think i read about a way that it was possible to replace the rear aux input with a bluetooth module.

Does anyone know about it?

It could be an interesting project if it hasn't been done yet. Is anyone up to it?

Post #19890154th Oct 2018 9:05 pm
life - live it

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up

Post #19890214th Oct 2018 9:24 pm
geostation

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Did you find a solution? In case you didn't, try this:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078...&psc=1

It works very well for £15.99!

Mine is temporarily sitting in the cup holder; but as soon as I find some time I intend to mount the button on the steering column, permanently wire-in the power:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071...amp;psc=1)

and aux audio:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071...amp;psc=1,

secreting the wiring away behind the trim.

Post #201026717th Dec 2018 10:51 pm
Ben4

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Is there a 3.5mm Aux Input On the rear of the head unit?
This could be great for listening to podcasts from my iPhone if so, then just hide the main button bit in the top glove box

@geostation how is yours currently wired up?
 formerly Disco3Ben

2016 D4, Santorini Black
2007 D3, Black - sold 

Post #201028518th Dec 2018 12:17 am
geostation

Unfortunately there is no 3.5mm aux socket on the back of the head unit (nor a 5V USB power socket) - you have to wire it in in one of three ways described on the thread here:

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/aux-connect...t=aux+plug

I currently have the BT device plugged into the 3.5mm aux socket and power (using a USB bullet adaptor) in the centre console of the rear passenger seats (i.e. the panel above the cup holders and heated rear seat switches on the back of the cubby box); but I've bought the parts on-line to wire in my own 3.5mm aux socket and USB power socket behind the trim.

You probably wouldn't want to put the main part of the BT dongle in the glove box, because the button is not only used for BT pairing but is also the microphone AND the call/hangup button to control your phone hands-free. It figures that you'd want it on the dash or column, as close to the steering wheel as possible for safe hands-free use as well as optimum audio quality when using the phone hands-free. The circular blank on the left hand side of the steering column (pictured) is my intended location:

Post #201029118th Dec 2018 1:02 am
gizze

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I just one of these....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NEK...&psc=1

£7.99 and converts your aux to bluetooth.

I use a Belkin flush fit charger and a right angle connector too.

Two reasons, the belkin does not interfere with AM and FM like so many chargers do, and with a right angle usb adapter you can close the flap down over it to stop people kicking the adapter and breaking it.

Post #207986831st Aug 2019 9:14 pm
geostation

That's a neat solution at a very modest price, gizze.

I thought I'd follow-up my post above with some pics of my solution.

Having wired in two 12V fused spurs from the fusebox behind the glovebox, I use these to power two 12V to 5V transformers. One of these (branded HitCar) is visible in the picture below:

I use this to power the BlueTooth dongle (ref my post above for purchase from Amazon). The 3.5mm audio output I have run via an extension lead and spliced with ScotchLocks (not shown) into the aux cables in the pax footwell here:

The BT dongle itself (which has 3 buttons: pair/call/answer/hangup/stop/start, skip/volume up & skip back/volume down, as well as in-built microphone) attaches magnetically to a mounting disc, which attaches via double-sided tape. I have fixed it to the flat surface opposite the ignition switch on the LH side of the steering column, show here:

Click image to enlarge

I've then inserted a right-angled 3.5mm jack in the Aux socket, shown here:

The second, twin 12V-5V transformer I have threaded through the dashboard, with fly-leads emerging pax as well as driver's side:

Click image to enlarge

Finally, I mounted my phone so that it can be touched without removing right hand from steering wheel, here:

The result is that I can control my android phone, including google maps navigation, calls and music/podcast streaming either by tapping the BT dongle without removing left hand from steering wheel or by voice command and all of the audio emerges crystal clear and without any feedback on calls though the Harman Kardon sound system. Android takes care of mixing the navigation voice prompts with audio entertainment, according to my preferences.

This arrangement works really well for me (and is legal hands-free in the UK, I believe), although there may be better solutions to meet other drivers' needs.

I had thought of replacing the touch screen on the dash with a 10" Android tablet and using Chromecast to achieve the equivalent of Android Auto as well as integrating with the existing controls - but then I've got more important projects on my backlog!

Post #20800491st Sep 2019 7:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >