DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Rear brake light failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jasonfoster37

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Rear brake light failure

Hi there,
Can you help me please, I was on the school run and was told by a friend that my LH brake light wasn't working on my 95 d3. So hubby went to get new bulb and apparently the bulb is fine so it is either the fuse or something else. I thought the fuses were seperate for each rear brake light but the manual just says one fuse for them. As my RH brake light fine then it must be something else! Any help?
Thankyou in advance Teresa
Sorry if its stupid question

Post #66337822nd Jun 2010 11:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

There are two "brake light" type (twin filament) bulbs fitted into the rear light cluster, one is used for side/brake and one for side lights only. Is it possible that he checked the wrong bulb on the LH side?
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #66338222nd Jun 2010 11:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jasonfoster37

Martin wrote:
There are two "brake light" type (twin filament) bulbs fitted into the rear light cluster, one is used for side/brake and one for side lights only. Is it possible that he checked the wrong bulb on the LH side?

Not sure about that will go and check. Thankyou

Post #66338422nd Jun 2010 12:02 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

You can move the bottom bulb up to the top bulb (if that hasn't already been done) as from new, they are brake/tail bulbs in all four tail light positions. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #66338722nd Jun 2010 12:07 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I remember there were a few threads earlier where people had used non-LR bulbs, and when they failed they shorted out and created all sorts of weird electronic problems. Perhaps the LR bulb has a particularly robust filament as well as being 90 degrees rotated? If so - only way to satisfactorily test bulb is to see it light up in a different location perhaps in a different vehicle even.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #66339822nd Jun 2010 12:47 pm
jasonfoster37

just took it somewhere nice and quiet and shaded (trying to sort lights out in the sunshine is impossible) and did a bit of swapping over of the bulbs. Everything is ok now. think we may have changed wrong one in first place. Embarassed
thankyou for all your help

Post #66343722nd Jun 2010 2:24 pm
Tawny Owl

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Get a lot of this with mine , intermittantly working , changed several bulbs and still the same.
Poss the bulb holder at fault , on mine I bent up the contacts within the holder and a smear of grease on them and that seem to cure it Smile

Post #66361922nd Jun 2010 9:12 pm
Gurmit

United Kingdom 

Stupid question, but is it hard to remove the bulb cluster to change the light bulbs....i haven't tried but i got told last week that my RH brake has 'gone'?

gurmit

Post #66560328th Jun 2010 1:25 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Gurmit wrote:
Stupid question, but is it hard to remove the bulb cluster to change the light bulbs...gurmit

May be the easiest job on a Discovery after fitting rubber mats. Mr. Green

Two screws at the side of the light cluster where the tailgate closes, then pull the light backwards to release two sprung prongs. Depress the clip on the side of the electrical plug and you then have the whole cluster free from the vehicle.

Are you going to fit LED bulbs? There are a couple of current threads about their advantages.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #66560628th Jun 2010 1:31 pm
mrandmrsh

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Navigator wrote:
Are you going to fit LED bulbs? There are a couple of current threads about their advantages.

As well as some suggestions they are illegal... Not sure what the answer is but may be worth a big of digging.

I would love to go LED lights but purely for the functional benefits (brighter and faster acting for brake lights) but don't want the "oooh look at me, I wish I had a lexus" look of the D3 LED lights or the new D4 ones. I think they look ok on some colours but not much goes with orange....

C
 2012 Defender 110 XS Utility 2.2
2012 D4 Commercial 255 8-speed, Active diff, lots of extras on order, comes Sept - ORDER CANCELLED (isn't divorce expensive....?)
2008/08 D3 HSE G4 - part exchanged for the 110
1987 110 CSW with 200 Tdi (now gone)
2007/57 D3 TDV6 HSE - NOW GONE owned 1/oct/08 to 31/dec/09
2007 Seat Altea Freetrack4 170 tdi (wife's car, wife now gone!) 

Post #66564528th Jun 2010 2:51 pm
Gurmit

United Kingdom 

Navigator wrote:
Gurmit wrote:
Stupid question, but is it hard to remove the bulb cluster to change the light bulbs...gurmit

May be the easiest job on a Discovery after fitting rubber mats. Mr. Green

Two screws at the side of the light cluster where the tailgate closes, then pull the light backwards to release two sprung prongs. Depress the clip on the side of the electrical plug and you then have the whole cluster free from the vehicle.

Thanks for the info mate. Im going for the standard bulbs rather than LED's, but i like the idea of the LED parking lights.

Post #67095912th Jul 2010 1:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >