Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Rear brakes squeaking after pads and disks changed -not EPB!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ecs0set

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
Rear brakes squeaking after pads and disks changed -not EPB!

I started to get squeaky rear brakes on the D4 which given a bit of green laning, I assumed was rubbish/grit in the brakes. As the disks were a bit lipped and rusty, I changed the pads and discs for Brembo from EuroCarParts.

Cleaned up the parking brake shoes (plenty of pad left), backing plate, caliper and carrier, fitted new disks and pads with coppaslip on the pads, adjusted the EPB and... the bloody squeak is still there!

I've changed quite a few brakes before and was following Bodsy's brake bible for any differences on the D4. It only squeaks under gentle application of the main brakes, not there when more pressure applied or when brakes released. EPB works fine as previous.

Any suggestions?

Ta,

Ian.

PS. Jacking up one rear wheel (not enough axle stands to do both safely) and having release the EPB and parking brake, it was still held by the transmission. My mental picture of the 4x4 system was trying to work out if this is correct with permanent 4x4? Should the rotation of a single wheel not be possible if the transmission is in neutral (gearbox output shaft turning)?

Post #206864216th Jul 2019 8:10 am
patersp

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Mine are doing exactly the same! Nothing on heavy pressure but squeak, squeak, squeak on light pressure,

I had work done on them around a year ago when the EPB shoes jammed and the squeaking has only started in the last two months. Passenger side rear only though. It's like an intermittent squeak that slows as the car slows down. Almost like there's something on the disc that catches as it goes round. Just had a service at my local indy yesterday and mentioned it to them. They cleaned out the shoes etc. and re-adjusted the EPB but the squeak is still there.

Would love to know what's causing it.

Post #206864416th Jul 2019 8:30 am
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Any lack of movement on slider pins cause pads to squeek even more if pad backing is not nicely greased
Proper greasing of pad slider ends also helps

In case if shoes are identified as squeeky it is advisable to greas touching surfaces on brake backing plate
Greg

Post #206864716th Jul 2019 8:41 am
ecs0set

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Coppaslip applied to the back of the pads and the pad slider ends. I must admit I didn't grease the slider pins themselves, having thought about it, the slider pins I've removed before are what hold the caliper to the carrier. The D4 had bolts into the pins.

Mine is a continual squeal. The discs look as though the pads are bedding in nicely.

Post #206864916th Jul 2019 8:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >